main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD 101 reasons why Piratesw of the Caribbean is the new Star Wars

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Otter, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    33. the second installment ends on a real down note.

2. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    34. the eagerness to 'cash in' threatens to ruin the 'franchise'

3. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    The new full trailer is going to be shown with "dancing with the stars", this week on seven.

4. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Still not a compelling enough reason to watch that though.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

5. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    35. homosexual overtones of the comedic duo (r2/3po - ragthingy and pinwhatsits)

6. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    36. Both franchises are heavily referenced in the Monkey Island adventure game series. (And in the case of Dead Man's Chest, vice versa.)

7. ImperialCourtessan

ImperialCourtessan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 10, 2005

..acshully... Ch7 just threw in the trailer at the end of A Current Affair! phwoooooar!!!

8. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
  9. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
  10. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    When did Seven buy ACA? Oh god, they have BOTH TT and ACA?

:p

11. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Both are carbon copies of each other. [face_mischief]

12. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    The editing and the music in the trailer means you absolutely will die if you miss seeing this movie even though, deep in your brain, you know that it won't be as good as the trailer. ( spoken in relation to the Episode 2 SW trailer ;) )

13. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    101 Reasons why Pirates of the Caribbean is the new Star Wars.

1. An heroic trio comprising a common boy, "warrior princess" and a lovable rogue.
    2. Black Pearl = Millennium Falcon
    3. Both have an evil 'Empire'.
    4. Swords
    5. Mystical guiding force (compass/the force)
    6. Kraken munchy-bits look suspiciously like Sarlaac munchy-bits
    7. The 'lovable rogue' character gets into an 'awkward' situation during the middle act of the story and must be rescued by the other characters at the beginning of the 3rd act.
    8. The 'Loveable Rogue' character has a fluffy friend who communicates using noises (Monkey/Chewbacca)
    9. People dressed up in garb to see it!
    10. Bumbling duo for comic relief: R2 & 3PO and Pintel & Ragetti
    11. lovable rogue has unpaid debt to dubious character which provides impetus for further installments when they should have stopped at one
    12. Episode II turned out to be a string of cool bits tied together with a confusing snoozefest of a plot
    13. "A hive of scum and villainy." Tortuga = Mos Eisley.
    14. Braggart captains
    15. The one you'd bunk (han/jack) and the one you'd marry (luke/will)
    16. The highly talking 'princess' who's more than happy to get as rough as she needs to get what she wants
    17. and unlikely deity (c3po/the dog with the key)
    18. and old an ultimately doomed wiseman (ben/will snr)
    19. A visually stunning duel between those who are good, and those who are evil, where the duel itself really dosen't advance the plot too much...
    20. The evil one will always have a chance to redeem themself/act in the name of good later on...
    21. Help and instruction will come to the hero(es) from a wise and powerful recluse.
    22. The hero will encounter a hideous monster (Kraken, Rancor) and will come out of it alive, somehow, with you punching the air.
    23. The fiesty warrior princess *cough*queen*cough* looks good and gives the hero something to fight for but is ultimately kinda pointless and sometimes annoying (will you're breaking me heart!)
    24. it is essentially a coming of age story for a young farmboy/apprentice
    25. There are toys galore in store / MEGAmerchandising.
    26. Hero finds himself doomed/trapped and falls of something tall (cliff/ventilation shaft)
    27. Loveable rogue character (Han/Jack) finds himself as a soon-to-be dish of the day.
    28. Natives/Ewoks that try to spit roast the main characters.
    28. Two main characters sharing the love interest.
    29. Sand. lots and lots of sand.
    30. Magical character that helps the good side lives in a swamp.
    31. The bad guys (navy / Imperials) have more firepower than the goodies, but the (falcon/pearl)is faster
    32. Whole lot of extra's with guns, whole lot of main characters not getting hit.
    33. the second installment ends on a real down note.
    34. the eagerness to 'cash in' threatens to ruin the 'franchise'
    35. homosexual overtones of the comedic duo (r2/3po - ragthingy and pinwhatsits)
    36. Both franchises are heavily referenced in the Monkey Island adventure game series. (And in the case of Dead Man's Chest, vice versa.)

14. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    37. Both sport one eyed supporting characters (Captain Typho / The Glass-Eyed Comic Relief Pirate Whose Name I've Forgotten, You Know, Whatsisname. Gareth From The Office)

15. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Since this is the unofficial At World's End thread, I figured I'd post this here.

An acquaintance of mine finally got around to seeing Dead Man's Chest (he's typically a good 6-18 months behind us pop culture wise generally), and while he was less than enthused, the final statement of his review is quote-worthy:

"I really wanted to like the movie, and it had some cool bits. But cool bits just ain't enough to pave over shonky filmmaking.

...having said that, if the third movie gives me one scene of Chow Yun-Fat jumping sideways in slow-motion while firing twin flintlocks, I will forgive Disney everything. Everything."

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

16. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Well said.

I'll say it again, repeat viewings and listening to the scriptwriter's commentary on Dead Man's Chest gave me a better appreciation of the film, the interesting intricacies of the plot and characters. But it shouldn't be necessary to fall back on that, and that's the film's weakness. It's a very interesting story that works very well, but it's let down by the fact that it's conveyed in such a convoluted fashion that you need to see the movie twice to appreciate it fully. That's fine and dandy for more arty movies with more depth, but for a popcorn action movie?

The other problem is the fact that it's less of a Pirate Movie, and more of a Jack Sparrow Movie. The character was a victim of his own success, and as a consequence was really quite overdone for a large part of the movie.

Once you scrape past those obfuscating layers, there is some interesting meat to Dead Man's Chest, and I do quite like it despite its flaws. I hope that At World's End will learn from the misteps of the second movie, though since it looks to be 120 minutes of balls-to-the-wall action interspersed with Geoffrey Rush chewing the scenery and loving it, perhaps it won't really matter. It'll be awesome, though I don't expect it to be as good as the original, which really stands on its own as a great, fun movie.

17. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    38. Despite a disappointing ep II, we're still hanging out for Ep III.

18. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    39. Episode III packs quote a punch, but lacks the passion and originality of the ... well ... original.

19. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    40. I didn't like the third instalments (RotJ was poor in comparison to ANH and ESB. I didn't like it that much, what of it!?)

20. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    41. People are comparing it to Star Wars

21. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    42. They both have furry creatures

43. There is some 'lower class' guy, trying to get into some 'upper class' girl's pants, and she resists until the later films

44. There are "I am your father" moments

45. One series inspired a ride at Disneyland, the other was inspired by a ride at Disneyland.

22. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    46. At the end, where anakin/will goes, padme/liz can't follow.

23. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Padme being dead and all..?

24. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    have you seen revenge of the sith?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.