main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

11 days left, who is doing the atomfilms contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Guybrush, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkh0501

bkh0501 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    Less than a week left before onsite voting begins. Woohoo.

2. EricSolo

EricSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2007
    Have you heard back from atomfilms yet?

I have not. I musta slipped thru the cracks somehow.

3. bkh0501

bkh0501 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    I must have slipped through the cracks, too. Like I said, I posted my film just hours before the deadline. Don't you think that most fan films were sent on the last day? I'm curious just how many submissions were made. Someone made a comment that this may be the most submissions AtomFilms has received for this challenge to date.

4. LORDWROTH

LORDWROTH Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2004
    [face_hypnotized] Contract of Evil is in. I got in the last day and receaved the email,
    its been re-cut with different music and faster rap up so if you want something different
    vote. [:D] shameless plug !
    anyway, congradulations to any and all that made the cut and also a tender pat on the back for those that tried yet somehow missed the deadline.

Good Luck everyone !

5. bkh0501

bkh0501 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    When did you receive your acceptance email?

6. Lord--Radon

Lord--Radon Jedi Youngling

Jun 22, 2008
    random question: If there are a huge # of submissions this year, then why is there a small section of 2008 "finalists." Do those finalists have to do with the competition, or is that something different? I'm a little confused.

7. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    A few finalists that were submitted and accepted early have already been put online. The rest will go live when the voting begins, and presumably Atomfilms will do a big advertising push then.

8. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    When did you receive your acceptance email?

I recieved it about a week later and that was the longest week ugh! let me tell you,:oops: The prior year Atom put me thru the ringer and even at the last second turned me down due to the running time being way to long. But in keeping a cool head and not hitting them with an angry email, they remembered me this year and put me in I believe the very last day entries were allowed. They did say they had more submissions this year than ever and loading them online would take a bit and I think thats why they extended the broadcast date.

So if you made good luck ! if for some reason they didnt except it, try and find out why if you can, I.E. subject matter, running time, or music and make the alteration and enter this coming year, Its seems Atomfilms' contest is only going to get bigger and with all the fans out there making great films, the competition is only getting better.

Best of Luck!!

9. Lord--Radon

Jun 22, 2008
    hmmm. To me that seems a bit cheap. That means everybody gets plenty of time to view those early submissions and grow attached to them, whereas people only have a few days to view all the rest. Thanks for the info though.

10. HSter

HSter Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2008
    I submitted my entry on May 27th and got my acceptance email on June 9th. . . Perhaps I was on the border/limbo/maybe area for a while? That gave me little time to collect and finish all the paperworks. (Getting all the release forms together was a nail biter again.) Now I am tensely waiting for the confirmation that all the paperworks are in order. Or am I? Would they send confirmation email or will I just find out on July 1st? The suspense doesn't end with this contest. . .

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't watch any of the submissions until all are up. Of course, I don't make much of a difference, but meh.

12. bkh0501

bkh0501 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    Well, I presume that if we haven't heard anything by now, then that's a sign our film wasn't accepted. Best of luck to everyone in the competition.

13. EricSolo

Jun 18, 2007
    I still haven't heard back either. :( I shall resist the urge to fire off an angry e-mail to atomfilms. Anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering. Or something like that....

14. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Is that why your icon looks so miserable? :) Good luck to all. I'll be in LA when the finalists go up, but I'll check after my vacation.

15. bkh0501

bkh0501 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    Oh please, most people need a vacation FROM LA.

16. EricSolo

Jun 18, 2007
    I chose that avatar because I met Richard LePeramentier (Motti) at CIV and he was really nice. His son was nice too. Did you know he used to be married to Ursula from Superman II? They are divorced now.

17. bkh0501

bkh0501 Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2005
    That's cool. I posted my video, The Closet Unleashed on YouTube, and have created a new thread for it in the Fan Film section. Enjoy.

18. Fraught

Fraught Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2008
    I'd love to know why Overtime didn't make it in... but i'm told they don't answer those sort of emails. ?!?

19. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    really ? what a shame, when I got the email that was in or being considered last year, they sent me an email from contacts Dan or Kate. Thats who got my film again this year and becuase I asked her last year as too why they turned it down, they politely said becuase their running time was a preffered 5 minutes in lenght, but Contract was 16:28 and that would've put them over the limit,. as it stands, I cut out a significant amount of material out and made it as streamlined as I could while still retaining its story arc. Also adding a higher res footage and retooling the soundtrack as to not over do Duel of the Fates.

thats why I thought if you sent it in and it was approved then you wouldv'e had an email from one of the show content co-ordinators, Also they may be just so busy at this piont getting ready for the show that they can't answer anything not related to the actual event.[face_thinking]

wait a bit and try again later after the show airs, than perhaps you may get the answer you are looking for,
    again, I really feel for anyone who tried to get in and didnt make it, last year I felt so upset, but trying to look at the brightside I figured I'd try again. but who knows, as they say, all things happen for a reason.

Good Luck everyone, and I really mean that, to Mike Scott, to even the shortest film entry, you never know what George and the Atomfilms team may or may not like. its always up for grabs and anyone here has a great chance.;)

20. Lord--Radon

Jun 22, 2008
    what the? Did anyone notice that atomfilms.com just became atom.com beta with a much more frustrating format?

21. FX_guy

Jun 7, 2002
    Yep.

It took a while for the Viacom buyout to fully ruin Atomfilms, but the day has finally come.

It's especially sad that they added a whole lot of crunk which is clearly intended to try to turn Atom into another "social networking site" because bizness people nowadays think the key to success is to turn everything into Facebook.

22. HSter

HSter Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2008
    This is not a reply to a particular post but a general question. I imagine some people here must have been to a previous event.

At the San Diego Comic Con, will they screen all the finalists or just the award winners? Can someone describe what happens in general at the ceremony/screening?

23. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I've only been to last year's at CIV. They screened only the award winners.

24. FX_guy

Jun 7, 2002
    Every year thus far they've opened the show with a brief montage of highlights from all the finalists.

Then immediately after each category winner is announced and the filmmaker gives his thankyou speech, they show that particular film.

25. HSter

HSter Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2008
    Thank you for the replies. I hoped that they would screen all the finalists in one way or another. It just seems that there is a very small window to find out if you won anything or not. While I am quite happy to be just in the contest, given that I live in the East Coast it would be nice if there was a stronger incentive for every finalist to be there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.