main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

11 days left, who is doing the atomfilms contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Guybrush, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I'll go if they want to shell out a couple of grand for the airfare. :D

2. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    Yeah, that's just how it is - like any other award show they don't reveal anything in advance, not even to the eventual winners. The only way to find out if you won is to be at the show, or check the website the day after.

3. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
  4. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh God. I'm going to have to apologize to everyone I know for subjecting them to the new Atom as part of the voting.

What I hate most, I think, is how they've decided arbitrarily to position themselves as a "comedy" site, so all of the descriptions have to be "funny."

I'm not that upset about the description for RvD2 -- I think it's actually a better one than the one we gave them -- but some of them could be pretty insulting to the filmmakers. I don't know about Lou, but I'm rather annoyed with the way they "describe" Contract of Evil.

Along with the fact that they're all labelled "Spoofs". Weren't straight dramas allowed? Where are they if so?

Ugh. We should have entered last year's competition. I feel dirty already.

We're on the front page at the mo, but here's the direct link.

EDIT: Okay, two things. One, it's not indicated that RvD2 is a "2008 Finalist", and that concerns me. Two, can anyone actually play the movie? All I get is the damn V-cast ad and then I get the little spirally "replay" button. Which replays the V-cast ad. Does the movie play for anyone?

5. Darth_Abdax

Darth_Abdax Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 12, 2005
    I got the same thing as you, no video.

6. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Good luck to all that made it.
    I'm not a huge fan of the new format on Atomfilms but have to give it some time and judge later. Right now it looks cheap and feels like every other "my space" site on the internet now.

7. LORDWROTH

LORDWROTH Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2004
    no Mike you guessed, drunk Sith Lords Ugh![face_beatup]
    I think I could understand about the spoof part, maybe they are still under
    some weird form of agreement with Lucas LMT.
    but who ever made our descriptions should have at least read the ones we sent in.
    I;ll email them today and see why they said that, again maybe to make it ' seem'
    like a spoof, they put that ridiculus statement in and I;ll just have to Kirk Judo chop the dude when I see him at a convention ( kidding)
    anyway's congrats on being on the front page and RVD2 played watched it twice. and Contract has played with no problems, is it a plug in issue? I thought they were quicktime but it seems to be streeming vid.

anyways, here's the link to Contract of Evil http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/sw_contract_of_evil/

Mike, how many films ~do~ you have airing at Atomfilms that you've worked on?
    I know mine and yours , but you've assisted with?

8. FX_guy

Jun 7, 2002
    It's actually the opposite - the "new" Atom is just an online wing of Comedy Central, as of the changeover last week. As part of the change, they became comedy-only and dumped all videos that weren't comedic.

Which means the SW contest is the only place you'll find a "serious" video on Atom now. The contest still accepts serious videos, even though Atom itself no longer does.

The problem is the new Atom doesn't have a "serious" category. Here's the list of "channels" they have now - all of them comedic in some way or other.

So the best they can categorize a SW video is as a "spoof" - even if it isn't one.

9. Dark_Shinder

Dark_Shinder Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2004
    RVD2 is working now (3rd post!!!).

But the voting page is still not avaliable....

Is any of you guys going to be at the SD Comic-Con?

It would be great to meet you all...Drinks on me!!

10. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, RvD2 is working now.

The finalists got an e-mail saying that they were still sorting out the voting. I guess that confirms we're one of them...

11. Dark_Shinder

Nov 30, 2004
    Wow....Looking at the ratings it look like someone is just giving negative mindless feedback... RVD2 55%??? Contract of Evil 100% negative!!??..that's not right.... I hope everything is diferent once the voting begins...

12. storm8105

storm8105 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2008
    no joke man. looks like someone got all their friends and had a thumbs down bonanza.

13. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    I can't even find what "ratings" you're talking about. And the voting page is up but there's still no place to actually cast a vote. The whole organization here blows hard. They closed submissions a month ago. You'd think they'd be, you know, READY.

14. Dark_Shinder

Nov 30, 2004
    http://www.atom.com/spotlights/starwars/challenge/

Using this link you can access the actual voting page....

I guess they had all this trouble since they decided to change ther website layout and start a compitition at the same time...[face_thinking]

I just dont get how they selected the order of the movies to appear...mmmm... In my opnion it should be random everytime you enter...but well... At least we can vote now....!;)

Good Luck!

(A beer for every vote!...Proof requiered....[face_whistling] )

15. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah? Where's the voting on that page? All I see are thumbnails of all the films for viewing.

EDIT: Never mind. I turned off AdBlocker and the "vote for this movie" buttons appeared.

Clever girl...

EDIT: It's still not clickable though. Holy crap do I actually have to watch all of them first?

EDIT: Nope, just registered and signed in. Agh.

16. FX_guy

Jun 7, 2002
    Percentages don't mean much, especially this early on.

100% percent thumbs down could be the result of one thumbs-down vote. Same for 100% thumbs up, for that matter.

And those "ratings" aren't the actual voting that matters anyway.

Meanwhile, I can't recall an Atomfilms contest that didn't have first-day glitches - unplayable movies, incorrect information, broken links etc. They'll get it sorted out, they always do.

It's a little messier than usual this year, no doubt thanks to the site-wide revamp that just happened last week.

17. Dark_Shinder

Nov 30, 2004
    Maybe your blocker is doing something with your IE....I even accidentaly casted my vote for a clip I havent seen yet!! ("Mouse" creator.... you are in debt now...:p )

18. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    I think the thumbs down was just part of the glitch,hopefully.... [face_praying]

also I'm happy they changed the drunk part of the description to my suggestion if it needed to be funny and it looks like things are going good!

one thing is I'm not sure about is why they have past winners up at the same time?
    I thought it would just be those that made the entry showcasing, so you could see
    who is in and not have to scroll through pages of past entries :oops:
    Aslo who said drinks at comic con?? I'm in.:D

19. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    never mind.
    I just found the finialist page. interestingly enough it's a good group of
    videos. one question, is everyone in the contest from the Force.net or are there
    other entries from different hosting sights.?
    plus I was kidding about that drink in S D , I just thought it might be nice to meet
    some of you folks from the forum.
    all the best

20. Dark_Shinder

Nov 30, 2004
    Haha...Yup, there are people from diferent places...

Side note 1: That's what I'm trying to say! Since many of us will be attending, why not have a meeting or something? [:D]
    (Last year at the Comic-con there were even avaliable conference-rooms for groups of 10 or more...free!)[face_dancing]

Side note 2: C'mon!!...San Diego at night is great!! no one has accepeted my bribe!? 1 Vote x 1 Beer!!....=P~

Side note 3: (maybe this was discussed somewhere else, but a "tortilleria" was the location for RVD2!!?? Woah! Viva Mexico![face_cowboy]

21. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/sw_lost_faith2/
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    I hate to ask this and sound like a nerf herder,
    but was that from some animated film or did you create that from scratch??
    becuase if you did WOW! that was excellent,=D=
    and even if you mashed that from some film great mix and flawless application.
    either way I voted!, good job.

22. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    Haven't seen RvD2 in a long time and it still rocks. Love the little details like adjusting glasses during battle. Great timing and pace and wonderful original score.

Definitly a film not to just enjoy but to study.

Everyone needs to quit making live action lightsaber fights now...best one has already been made! ...unless someone makes one with cgi lego men, but that is just me. :)

23. Dark_Shinder

Nov 30, 2004
    Thank for your comments LORDWROTH, I really apretiate them... after all, sometimes thats all we get, right?...hehe...(and yes, all the drawings and animation was done on hand by me)

Guybrush....RVD2 is really fun... But I dont think should stop trying to top that, they just raised the bar, and that's always good...;)

Anyways for me the top 3 for this year are, in no particular order:

RVD2
    Contract of Evil
    and maybe Padme (Even if my wife and son loved "Dark Sith"..)

24. Dark_Shinder

Nov 30, 2004
    Uh!?:eek: I know it is risky to say your faves out loud.. but still...What are your favorites this year?:confused:

25. leonanimation

leonanimation Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2008
    Hi guys.
    Great movies this year.
    I have a movie in the competition.
    Mine is "Nerf & Herder in Using the Force"
    It was rejected back in 2005 because music rights but I changed the music and was accepted this year.
    Check it out and give me feedbacks.
    I tell you though, the resolution looks crappy, but that was my fault. I think I uploaded a version with low res.
    Hope you like it and good luck to everyone competing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.