main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

11 days left, who is doing the atomfilms contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Guybrush, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricSolo

EricSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2007
    It's too bad they have that 100 MB limit. TOO LOW!

2. Dark_Shinder

Dark_Shinder Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2004
    Yes I agree (But using the correct codecs is still pretty decent) ... But now Im a bit more concern about the competition itself, and since we dont know the actual votes, the "plays" is our only indication:

Star Wars: Last Stand of the Jedi 680 plays
    Concrete Hustle: 1133
    Star`Wars The Lost Faith Episode 2: 680
    Padme: 1381
    GrindHouse: Dont Go in the Endor Woods: 964
    George Lucas Hip Hop Awards: 1149
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back in 60 seconds: 625

I included only the most recent entries (there are some others a lot older, and only with views over 600)
    For some reason RVD2 is not apperaring on the list with all the finalist on Atom (It is ok in the voting page) .

Im really surprise by this list.....unexpected.
    Not even my faves are here.

3. LORDWROTH

LORDWROTH Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2004
    it might be your cookies.
    I deleted mine after a weird day of the 3rd page becoming the 1st and being locked for
    3 other pages?:oops:
    but since than they have been seemingly appearing in order and allowing me to scroll
    thru all the links, plus voting page.

how long ~does~ the voting last? I didnt get a chance to go thru all the rules yet I was to busy just trying to get in.

Thanks

4. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Ryan and Dorkman, are you still allowed to host RvD2 yourselves? I thought Atomfilms had a thing where you could only have things hosted on their site.

Just wondering if that had been changed or something.

I guess other people could answer that too, but RvD2 is one I know is already hosted someplace else.

5. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Atomfilms changed their policy, apparently a couple years ago. You can have a non-exclusive contract with them, you just get smaller royalty payments. Which works for me (although you'd almost think it was the other way around).

6. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    plus Atomfilms were no longer getting submissions from other fans and wanted
    to open the doors for more Lucas contests'.
    I must admit, I found it rather challenging to get onto their sight,
    after the ease of places like daily motion and stage 6 which had
    an open door policy, youtube had their time contraints but that was about it I think.

7. Obi_Bon_Kenobi

Obi_Bon_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    my friends movie is submitted in there, take a look

also, as much as i love RVD2, i dont think they qualify since the time limit is 5 mins and they are distributing the movie for download at their website and dvd (atomfilms gets the copyrights of the movies)

8. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    How about you read two posts up.

And by the way, if we didn't "qualify", do you think we'd be on the site as a finalist? What, we "snuck in" without them knowing? Apply some brainpower. And what are you talking about with a five minute limit? There are many films on the site longer than five minutes, if you bothered to look. Stop making things up. If RvD2 is not your favorite, that's fine, don't vote for us.

9. leonanimation

leonanimation Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2008
    I believe the limit time is 10 minutes.
    And RvD2 is definitively one of the best movies in competition.

10. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Ouch! haha! But it is true. If they didn't qualify they wouldn't be in the finalists group! :)

I'll be honest and flat out say I voted for mine in hopes it gets at least 5 votes, hahaha!

11. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    There is no actual "time limit" on submissions, they just "strongly suggest" it be five minutes or less to improve your chances (it's hard to get folks to sit through vids that are much longer, as a general rule).

12. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    Every statement in that paragraph is incorrect. :oops:

13. Dark_Shinder

Nov 30, 2004
    Woah...tha's kind of lame, trying to plug and hit at the same time.... As stated by Michael "The RED" Scott, time limit is only to allow more viewers to go trough the whole film... Plus, the longer the film is,the more challenging to maintain the quality and keep it entretaning.

Mala actitud Jose...[face_not_talking]

14. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    I found that by Contract of Evil even being cut down to its bair
    bone of 11 minutes, were as before it was 16 min's.
    Some People watching still said it was too long,
    which to me doesn't make much sense, I think sometimes,
    we as fans have forgotten that some of the films that have
    come before me and RvD have had long run times,
    ""A Question of Faith " comes to mind. a really good story and I still think
    one of the most original to date.long running time, allot of Dialoge..
    ''Duality''. the same. 'Revelations' and so on and so on.....

What Mike and Ryan have done is shown us all here that you dont need
    over the top dialoge and fancy costumes to make a true star wars hit.
    You need the brass to make hard chioces and stick to them as any true
    film maker would to succeed.

One thing I have always done in my time here and there on the internet
    is watch each and every fan film ever made. I love em'. all of them. I guess becuase
    I know how hard it was to make it and the dream that went behind it.
    Running times shouldn't be a factor in this contest. But more so, the way
    it makes you feel after you watch it. o_O

one day left !!![face_hypnotized]

15. Dark_Shinder

Nov 30, 2004
    8-} Sigh...its pretty much done guys..congrats to everyone participating this year... And you know what? We all should be feeling great and proud (and not because of the lame "at least we got trough.."... Not because of the nomination, not beacuse we got an award or not...
    There is only one reason:
    [face_idea] George Lucas himself, is gonna watch YOUR film. Even if he hates it or just makes fun of it... Lucas is gonna sit down, grab a bag of popcorn and watch something you did....
    I dont know about you guys...but, shesh!....That makes me feel like Spielberg...Congrats to all!![:D]

16. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004

Is it really over? :_|
    oh well, had a good time and saw some fun films in there and some
    " how did they get picked " films too. But all in all; as you said Dark_Shinder
    George is going to watch these and that gets me feeling like I'm going to
    prom night!!!
    :D Thank you to anyone here that gave me a positive vote and all
    I can say is thanks for supporting the dream. I am going to re-cut crossroads of Destiny
    and I;ll have the link for the download soon.
    Plus if anyone needs help or were to get FX make up advice PM me . I;ll be around.

17. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    That's right! I didn't think about George watching the finalists, but yeah you're right! That alone is pretty exciting! He'll have my undivided attention for a solid 2 minutes. Torturous or not that's pretty cool to know he'll be watching them all. :)

He's probably just getting done with mine now and probably said, "WTF? Next..." hahaha!

18. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I think my flick came in second last in terms of views. But it's had 700 more people see it than would've if it was still sitting on my hard drive. :)

19. LORDWROTH

Nov 5, 2004
    Thats a great way to look at it. Scott_M !

ya know, for atomfilms being the official star wars challenge. I felt the turn out was rather weak in viewer numbers. It felt like a " bringer contest" like they have at comedy stores. so many people want to perform, but the only way to get on stage now is to bring the crowd. basically you shanghai your family and friends to watch you perform and I'm sure atomfilms' increased it regestration by a few hundred during the contest alone.

some folks got 700 views and others that I thought would do fantastic high in views did alright with 1800 views and that to me was strange,.
    I posted a tribute to the soldiers on ifilms when they had their tribute to the troops and recieved 750 views the first day. http://www.spike.com/video/honoring-liberty/2989339
    and that I feel was promoted properly, yet I didnt see any true star wars fan films promos on atomfilms but the bottom of their main page.
    Also I think Spike TV is now going to be the official star wars host because that is what they are claiming. has anyone else heard of this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.