main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY 11 DAYS TILL

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Grand_Admiral_Cully, Jun 3, 2002.

?

11 DAYS TILL "FAN DAY WEEKEND" Yippee. Does anyone have details on events for the weeken

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Star Wars Picnic in Central Park?

75.0%
  2. A sleepover at the Zig?

16.7%
  3. A field trip to Madame Tussauds?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. BMA?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Make Star Wars Pottery at "Our Name is MUD"

8.3%
  6. A Star Wars Scavenger Hunt, Starting at the BMA, ending at the Zig, like Midnight Madness with Micha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Admiral_Cully

Grand_Admiral_Cully Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Would anyone like to volunteer to make these faces for printout for the picnic for a game of Jedi Chess?

Jedi Chess, we all line up two teams
    DARK SIDE VS. THE FORCE

Emperors (1) and Yoda's (1)(Kings)

Mara Jades (1) and Amidala's (1)(queens)

Bounty Hunters (8) and Jedi's (8)(pawns)

Nexu (2) and Taun Tauns (2)(knights)

Grand Admirals (2) and Generals (2) (rooks)

Kaminos (2) and Wookies (2) (Bishops)

Live Chess is a blast, just check out HP on DVD, I am sure VlAmidala could teach us about that scene.

2. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Where will we get a life sized chess board?

3. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    We actually need 32 players to play.

So if anyone would like to Volunteer and choose thier positions, now would be a good time. Keep in mind if you don't really know how to play Jedi Chess, IT DOES NOT MATTER, there will be enough people there to guide you in the ways of the Force. This could be a blast. So if you wan't to be the Queen, or the King experience matters not.

4. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    A chess board is easy to make with string and tape, you could set up a make shift board with 9 pieces of string running the Horizon, and 9 pieces running the vertical for a border. It's a cinch.

5. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    Does anybody want to check and see if we need a permit to have a event like chess in the park?

6. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    Chess is not an event, it must be played in an area that does not require QUIET! You can't just have the picnic in Sheeps Meadow.
    Otherwise The Central Park Conservancy and the Parks department do not care.

7. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    I'd think it may be a little odd looking. It's a state park, not your backyard. The Parks Department have permits for everything. lol

8. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    What is ODD, for 200 people to have a Star Wars PICNIC. Chess is only a game, and requires about 100 sq. feet. Central Park Starts @ 60th and ends at 110th st. It's a mighty big place.

9. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    well, first off, are there 32 people who'll commit now to playing?

10. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    I am not sure? I guess we can start a JEDI CHESS thread to find out.

11. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    My suggestion:

11 am -- 3 pm Picnic lunch in the Park.

3:30 pm Attack of the Clones! You know you want this. Especially after the fiasco in NJ last weekend.

12. VLAmidala

Jun 7, 2001
    actually, we were talking about the timing of the show last night, and it seemed like people might have conflicts with an afternoon show. i know that the 7 or 10.30 show will work better for me and my mom since she'll be driving down late on friday and i'll probably be spending early saturday finishing a paper that's due that day (yeah, on a saturday :().

13. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    That sounds good. The confusing thing is which day is actually fan Day the 15th or the 16th? The 15th is Saturday, the 16th is Sunday?

14. ElanSleazeschbaggano

ElanSleazeschbaggano Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    That sounds about right. I'd be more up for 12-5:00 PM (or 5:30) in the park and 7 PM AOTC, though. We'll need time to pack it in and get to the Zieg. If people prefer the 3:30 PM, then we need to be there by 2:30 or 2:45 at the latest. They'll let people in no later than 3PM. That doesn't really leave much time for the picnic. The 7PM sounds like it would make for a more leisurely day.

(I think everyone's pretty much expecting to observe Fan Day on Saturday the 15th this year, due to Father's Day being on the 16th)

15. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    Technically the 17th. But since it is the same day as Father's Day, it was decided that we move it to the 16th instead.

16. VLAmidala

Jun 7, 2001
    ::bonks star::

technically it should be the 16th (sunday), but since the majority of humans have fathers :p, we moved it up to the 15th (saturday).

17. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    You cannot organize any outing requiring structures, equipment, nets, rope, tape or any other natural or unatural materials not provided or already in place by The Dept of Parks erected temporary or otherwise on NY property without permission, event insurance and permits. Period.

MysterySith and I have discussed this and From now on any suggestions for events, contests, outings or otherwise need be presented to the SWNYC staff PRIVATELY before it is posted here. Posting here and inaction by the staff implies endorsement and encouragemnet and we just can't have that. Sorry to spoil all the fun but I just learned even organizing a picnic in the park on this froum constitutes an "Organized Group Outing" which requires the proper permit and insurance in NY :(

All future suggestions not passed through the proper channels will be immediately deleted at our discrection.

::gets back on her broom and flies away::

18. ElanSleazeschbaggano

May 21, 2002
    Actually, the law is that gatherings over 19 people in a NYC park require a permit, but I do not believe any special insurance is required for this type of event beyond that. We are using the park for its intended purpose, for a casual outing, so I think we're okay on insurance. Permit is surely needed for more than 19, though. Legally speaking, the chess idea is definitely not possible. I was holding off on bringing that up because I figured the idea would die on its own because there's no way 32 people will want to stand around in the sun doing that for hours. Do you know how long chess takes?

19. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    It's not he gathering itself but the use of any public media to advertise and plan it that makes it an issue. By posting info publically we invite any and all to attend. Technically 3000 people COULD show up. That will never happen but the Parks dept. does not see it that way. This is a sue happy society and SWNYC cannot endorse any activity we cannot control. If we go to a movie, Mars 2112, the food court etc, those places carry liability insurance and all have a maximum capacity that they enforce. that takes away our liability. it's not that we can't meet in the park and eat...it's just that we cannot organize it and post it inviting whoever wants to come to do so.

20. ElanSleazeschbaggano

May 21, 2002
    By the way,

If we are serious about the picnic, we need to get the permit immediately, because they normally require 3-4 weeks processing time. With only two weeks or less left, all we can do is walk the application into the office and hope that they will accomodate us based on the relatively small size of our group and the simplicity of our application, even though it's short notice. They probably will, but whoever brings it in should be pleasant, persuasive and patient. And oh yeah, there's also a $25 processing fee for the permit.

21. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    I spoke to someone in the Parks department, they seemed very accomodating. I have an appointment to speak with someone there manana. If you know a better way I will put up the $25.00 fee myself.

22. ElanSleazeschbaggano

May 21, 2002
    Ladysith,

You're absolutely right about that. But it's very simply handled. Something this small can be dealt with casually without exposing anyone to liability. People would just need to post their intention on coming on this board by a certain date/time before we submit the application so that we can be somewhat accurate in estimating the size of our group on the application. That way, we are not leaving anything open ended and if the event gets too large on the day, the Parks Dept./Police are within their rights to disperse the excess. And let's face it, there's more likely going to be under-attendance than over-attendance, so all we need to do is high-ball the figure on the application.

23. StarFromIHJ

Apr 5, 2002
    It is not just the matter of the 25 dollar fee. We would be attending the picnic as a group event. If anything SHOULD happen to any of us SWNYC would be held legally responsible. Therefore they would need to get insurance for all of us just in case. While they might get insurance for thepeople who says they are going, many more people could show up than planned. Think of it like having a party when your parents weren't home in High School, you invite one person and they invite someone and so on until the house is trashed.

24. ElanSleazeschbaggano

May 21, 2002
    I'll say this again: pending Parks Dept. approval, additional insurance would NOT be necessary for a small, simple, casual event of this type. It's not an SWNYC event as far as I can tell. I'm not technically a member, and SWNYC doesn't really need to be dragged into it. Unlike a house party, this would be taking place on public property, with all in attendance being responsible for themselves. What the Parks Dept. is most concerned about on the application is that we promise to leave the park in reasonbly the same condition as we found it (i.e. pick up your own trash and don't damage the trees/bushes) A simple little picnic does not automatically need to become a legal nightmare. The system is set up to ALLOW for these things, not prohibit them.

25. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Glad someone else sees the real issue here.

We cannot organize endorse or advertise this event. There is not enough time to plan it and ensure SWNYC is not held liable.

It would be great to see something like this happen in the future. This thread will be locked since SWNYC cannot endorse or encourage this event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.