main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY 11 DAYS TILL

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Grand_Admiral_Cully, Jun 3, 2002.

?

11 DAYS TILL "FAN DAY WEEKEND" Yippee. Does anyone have details on events for the weeken

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Star Wars Picnic in Central Park?

75.0%
  2. A sleepover at the Zig?

16.7%
  3. A field trip to Madame Tussauds?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. BMA?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Make Star Wars Pottery at "Our Name is MUD"

8.3%
  6. A Star Wars Scavenger Hunt, Starting at the BMA, ending at the Zig, like Midnight Madness with Micha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElanSleazeschbaggano

ElanSleazeschbaggano Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    You can lock the thread if you want to, but you can't prevent public assembly, or free speech. But to be safe, and in order to protect SWNYC, all further discussion of the picnic should be social and informal and spread through word of mouth in order to avoid the legal issues.

2. LadySith

LadySith Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2000
    No one is trying to deny anyone's rights, we just don't want to loose our shirts :)

We will not lock this thread as long as no further plans are made here. SWNYC cannot be involved.

3. ElanSleazeschbaggano

May 21, 2002
    If you'll just dial it back and let the thing evolve naturally, then it doesn't need to go there. Clearly, we have an idea of how to do this in such a way as to have the event we want within established parameters that don't cross or expose anyone to anything. So, shut it down, if you want to. Or you can let a couple of people plan a picnic (that has nothing to do with SWNYC, frankly) which everyone can enjoy without co-opting it simply in order to prevent it. It's not a big "SWNYC event". It's a group of over 19 friends having a picnic (according to the Parks Dept. rules) prior to going to a movie. Keep it that context, and everything'll be just fine.

4. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Plan the picnic all you want we are not involved. However, since this is SWNYC's main forum and available for public view anything planned here implies endorsement by the club. That's why it cannot be planned or discussed anymore here. It is real easy to start your own group on yahoo to make plans for things not associated with the club.

Thanks!

5. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    i might be missing something here, but is fan day an official nyline event, in the sense that they're the ones planning it? steve, chris, alan, anybody? :confused:

6. ElanSleazeschbaggano

May 21, 2002
    Once again, I agree wholeheartedly, Ladysith. Planning should not take place via a SWNYC controlled space.

(I'm new to this, though. Is this such a space? I thought this was TheForce.net territory, exposing SWNYC to nothing. BTW, what type of entity is SWNYC? Is it even a corporation, or any type of legal entity at all? Or is it just an informally named club without any established legal structure?)

Whatever. Seperate Topics, big time. I suggest that anyone interested in the picnic e-mail their interest to: PadawanPicnic@aol.com in order to be added to an e-mail list through which all remaining planning will be done.

Thanks for not closing this thread and allowing the reference to that e-mail address.

7. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    See we can be reasonable and all things can be worked out with honest open discussion.

SWNYC is a club with no formal legal status. However, if we plan an event and post it thus inviting the public to join we assume some liability even if it's just as organizers. Since we usually meet at establishments that are open to the public their insurance covers our members.

Fanday is a line event and I doubt they will be planning a picnic. They are a legal entity and are fully liable.

8. ElanSleazeschbaggano

May 21, 2002
    Yeah, well, so far it doesn't look like they're planning anything, and whatever they may yet announce, there's no time left for them to plan this. So, I maintain that this gathering is not a NYLINE event either, and they are also NOT liable. This should be thought of like a bunch of people who went to the same high school socializing after graduation. It has nothing to do with the root organization, it's just people socializing.

Additionally, to be clear, this Forum does not belong to SWNYC, does it? It's just the space labelled by the TheForce.net as being for people from our general geographical area to post. While SWNYC may be in the habit of using it as their main forum, I do not believe that it belongs to them at all, does it? And postings here then do not inherently imply any involvement/inclusion of/liability on their part. In fact because some SWNYC officers also moderate this area (in a legally seperate capacity) they should probably be careful not to interfere with the traffic of communication by those NOT involved with SWNYC, who are merely area residents posting in their local forum. Such interference could backfire and expose "SWNYC" (in whatever legal form it exists in, or personally, the individuals that it comprises of) to liability relating to that action.

Having a litigious nature really stinks, doesn't it?

But once again, thanks for not interfering with the NON-SWNYC/NYLINEII picnic planning any further and let's just all return to our regular programming. (Correct me if I'm wrong about the legal structure of the boards. I think it'd be good for that to be made plain.)

And see you all at the Padawan Picnic! :)

9. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    Hope no one minds my chiming in on this. There is another issue. Gatherings of more than a certain number of people in NYC Parks is unlawfull without a permit...which means that some park police can come and start handing out summons and I seem to remember some dude actually getting arrested for walking his dog off the leash. I mean, do what you all want, that's your thing, but just keep in mind that there may be consequences.

Mike C.

10. ElanSleazeschbaggano

May 21, 2002
    Dude, read the rest of the thread. We covered that, and it's kinda what started the debate. The gathering can happen, no problem WITH THE EASILY-OBTAINED PERMIT.

11. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    This forum is provided for us to govern as WE see fit.

I say again for those who have not read this in other threads. This forum is a PRIVATE place offered for PUBLIC use. Each forum is LOANED by the forum owners to use by the official chapter. We are given the right to set whatever rules we see fit so long as they coincide with the rules and TOS set by the forum owners. Someone else tried to sue another Chapter on the same grounds but there was no basis. No ne can take action against for our rules. Well, they can but they won't win.

12. Anaquinne

Anaquinne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    Um... I do so love legal discussions, they make fascinating reading, but I have to jump out here for a minute...
    OK, the picnic isn't a NYLine event. Is Fan Day as a whole a NYLine event? If it is, what are *they* planning for it? Hanging out in front of the Zieggy? Just seeing the movie? Cause li'l ol' me is confused. The picnic sounds luverly, but I wouldn't wanna miss out on activities happening elsewhere too.

13. Grand_Admiral_Cully

Grand_Admiral_Cully Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    THIS IS QUOTED DIRECTLY FROM JEDI COUNCIL FORUMS
    The Jedi Council Administration is not responsible for messages posted on the Forums or the content therein.

First off, lets not find all the reasons not to do have fun. I hope 3000 people do show up. This is just a picnic and games. People use Jump "ROPEs" in the Park. I live right by this wonderful Park, and people are doing a heck of a lot worse than having a Star Wars Picnic. The reason this thread was started was to create discussion and ideas NOW, so at the last minute we are not killing an entire weekend because we could not find an appropriate time, OR PLACE. This will be a casual event. If food or games become a problem. We can just Bag Lunch it people. We have enough time to make this P.C. As far as suggestions to SWNYC first goes that is another topic in and of itself. My nieghbor the Attorney read the site TOS, and there is no legal liability for SWNYC.

14. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    This is going in circles. I don't care who read the TOS. That is not the point and I will not rewrite what has already been said.

15. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    Fine, so where do people from NYC go to post other than fanforce? I do understand that there happens to be a fan chapter, but that in no way should hinder everyone. I have read many posts re: HVE, need a room, we will put a TV outside, there is even another thread that organizes and establishes Fan Day, there are threads for the BMA from where to eat and where to meet and who is driving, come on what is the real issue here? I am sorry but no one has really said anything until this came up. There is a thread organizing rides to HVE! There are even threads organizing the line? What is the REAL issue here.

16. VLAmidala

VLAmidala Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2001
    can we drop this yet?

17. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    Obviously not until a suggestion is made on how Star Wars fans in NYC should communicate about events in these forums.

18. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Smoke signals.

19. LadySith

Dec 5, 2000
    Let me repet this one more time in plain ENGLISH.

We cannot organize or discuss plans for a picnic here because doing so would imply a liability for SWNYC. Turning a blind eye and allowing it to be discussed would open us up to a liability... Ask your neighbor about inaction constituting endorsement in cases like this, especially when you are talking about digging holes in the park and making a board for a living chess game.

HVE carried event insurance
    The BMA has insurance
    The cars we took to HVE are covered by insurance.
    The rooms we rented are insured by the hotel they are in.
    The line had insurance.

Since this picnic would not be covered by event insurance which may or may not be mandatory but is DARN ADVISABLE if you are organizing this, we cannot plan it here. Since I deal daily with liability claims many based in NYC I am pretty familiar with how lawsuits work. Not to mention Cyrano IS a NY attorney.

You can get software from many forum providers and start your own forum or start a mailing list. You can build your own site and start your own club.

This topic is now tired and at the request of several members will be locked. Since you admit you are not a membe, then you see why we will do as our members wish us to. there is no hidden meaning behind all this.
    read into it what you will.

20. cyranodb

cyranodb Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2001
    I hope this might also clear things up. I emailed Steve Lorenzo of the NY Line and according to him, "We're in the process of planning something for Saturday the 15th, but still trying to iron out details". This makes me think that the NY Line organizers ARE planning something for the 15th. What it is I don't know, but it looks like somethings in the works.

Mike C. ;)

21. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    but still of course if something is being organized we CAN NOT talk about it.

I am done, this is just not worth it. This is like tripping over dollars to pick up a nickel.

22. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    We can talk about the event here after they release what it is for two reasons.
    1. They are insured. When we joined the NYLine we paid them 15 dollars. 10 dollars went to our ticket, the other 5 went to insurance.
    2. The event will already be planned and well organized. They did a great job on organizing the line so Fan Day should be nothing. It is highly doubtful that wherever we go isn't covered by insurance. (see a gazillion posts by LadySith in this thread for further explanation.)

NYLine is also a separate club. Although many of SWNYC's members have been involved in the line, SWNYC doesn't run NYLine.

My suggestion if you want to plan an event like this is to PM your friends and make plans that way. Advertising an event that is hastily put together on the boards is highly inadvisable. You open yourself up to more people showing up then planned. A picnic would be fun, only if it was planned in advance to ensure that if anything does occur there is insurance to cover it. I guess my theory stems from the Girl Scout motto, "Be prepared." What may look good on paper may not always end up that way and precautions are necessary.

23. Grand_Admiral_Cully

May 9, 2002
    WE WILL NOT HAVE A PICNIC, THE PARKS DEPARTMENT SAYS IT TAKES 30 DAys for a permit, unless it is less than 20 people. That I doubt. So any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.