main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Terror attacks in Europe

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Jan 7, 2015.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    christ , Iraq's gone isn't it .

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Orange bits are controlled; red indicates broad sympathy.

OZK, you're quite wrong - they're not a state til recognised. See also: Iello's post.

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Hopefully everyone was satisfied with the single sentence Obama devoted to our drone campaign: good news--it's squeaky clean legal.

4. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

They say the same thing here. The department of Defense, the EU, even the Red Cross.
    It's because it's new and people are still unaware of the (lack of) psychological ramifications for the population of the country sending the drones. Lack of body bags = lack of awareness and empathy.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Also to be exact, the president only devoted a single dependent clause within a sentence to our drone campaign. Note that in the official text, the use of a comma before the conjunction in a dependent clause is actually improper. If you remove the comma, it makes the drone/torture subject seem even more the parenthetical aside that the president intended to present it as.

As Americans, we respect human dignity, even when we’re threatened, which is why I’ve prohibited torture, and worked to make sure our use of new technology like drones is properly constrained.

ShaneP likes this.
  7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Meanwhile: prime minister of Yemen fleeing, president of Yemen captured by rebels.
    German head of anti-Islam party resigning because a photo surfaced in which he posed as Hitler.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I am shocked that the PEGIDA organizers are Nazi-sympathizers

Darth Guy, Jabbadabbado and dp4m like this.
  9. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't think that that's why it's in the news, and there's no need to yell.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I'm not yelling...

[​IMG]

... and don't call me Shirley.

yankee8255 and Lord Vivec like this.
  11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    What font size would you like me to use? 1?

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I don't think he new PEGIDA is all caps?

Lord Vivec likes this.
  13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    But he's not American and Ender told me non-Americans know everything about the world ever.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ender says alot of things. He once told me he saw a crocodile giving a koala a lift across a river. In his mouth!

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah but yemen...

i mean... yemen

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I know you're going through a tough time but how this acting out will help I've no idea.

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Only the supporters spell it that way. And Americans, noted.

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i, for one, spell it "pidgeotto", after the pokemon

19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Pegida, pidgeotto, pegida, pidgeotto, let's call the whole thing off.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    And German websites

And Reuters.

dp4m likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You also called it "pagoda" once, but then realised it could be seen as representing its umbrella group aspirations and we agreed to never speak of it agai...Oh.

Sorry maik. :(

Also:
    http://www.economist.com/news/brief...demnations-some-caveats-when-nuance-hard-hear

The Muslim response

When nuance is hard to hear

Many condemnations; some caveats

THE mayor of Rotterdam, Ahmed Aboutaleb, is a Muslim of Moroccan descent and Dutch directness. “If you don’t like it here,” he advised his co-religionists in a television interview after the attack on Charlie Hebdo, “because some humorists you don’t like are producing a newspaper…you can sod off.”

In his condemnation of the terror in France Mr Aboutaleb was in line with Europe’s Muslim leaders. With the exception of a small number who claimed that the attack was a put-up job, they were virtually unanimous in their castigation. Many made the point that, though purportedly carried out in the name of Islam and its messenger, the attacks were deadly assaults on both. “Nothing is more immoral, offensive and insulting against our beloved prophet than such a callous act of murder,” the Muslim Council of Britain said in its statement.

But few people were as robust as the mayor in their defence of free speech. And few said what many non-Muslim Europeans wanted to hear: that the Islamic world in general, as opposed to a few fanatics, had nurtured a violent ideology, and that it had a special duty to set about cleaning it up.
    The reaction of Europe’s Muslim establishment could be summed as “sadness, solidarity with the victims, plus a rejection of the idea that Islam was ultimately responsible,” according to Jonathan Laurence, a Boston College professor who keeps in close touch with Islamic organisations across the continent. And caveats abounded. Few in Europe were as open in blaming the victims as one sheikh in Saudi Arabia, who followed up his condemnation with the clarification that “all those who try to ignite our anger are responsible for the consequences”. But some level of caveat was not uncommon.
    Tariq Ramadan, an Oxford professor born in Switzerland to Egyptian parents, is probably the most influential Muslim voice in Anglophone and Francophone Europe. His condemnation was unequivocal—“our principles and values…have been betrayed and tainted”—but he stood by the view that he previously expressed in a debate with Charlie Hebdo’s editor Stéphane Charbonnier (see article): the paper had been wrong to publish cartoons of the Prophet because it piled insult on a community that was already “stigmatised”.
    Mr Ramadan also pointed out that demands for free speech were being made in an “inconsistent” way, because more was asked of Muslims than of others. In 2008, Charlie Hebdo had laid off a cartoonist whose reaction to the betrothal of President Nicolas Sarkozy’s son to a Jewish woman had been deemed offensively anti-Semitic. “The double standard is troubling, to say the least.” Like many others, Mr Ramadan also stressed that violent deaths in other places must be deplored no less than those in France: “We are reacting emotionally because 12 people were killed in Paris, but there are hundreds being killed day in, day out in Syria and Iraq, and still we send more bombs…”
    Still, life in a European democracy can change people’s ideas. Inayat Bunglawala used to be spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain, and backed its demand for a “religious-hatred” law designed to shield Muslims from offensive speech or even sharp theological debate. Now, he says, his views have changed completely: the cost of seeing and hearing things you don’t like is more than outweighed by the benefit of being able to say anything you want.
    From the print edition: Briefing

Thoughts?

22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I stand corrected. But man! That's like adopting the style.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, if it's how they do style their name, surely it's how it should be reported?

Edit: Well you said supporters, not necessarily they themselves.

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You're kind of the king of acting out.

25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I suppose so. I just don't like advancing even something that minor from them.

Diggy and dp4m like this.