main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Terror attacks in Europe

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Please Dave, we've seen pages of you defending the abominable Charlie hebdo drawings. Things don't become less terrible because someone shot at the people who do them.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    No drawing is ever worth killing someone over. There is no situation imaginable where the content of a drawing ever grants someone a right to kill the 'artist'

You can draw the most hateful, disgusting, horrendous thing imaginable. No one has the right to kill you and nor should we excuse the violence perpetrated. There is no excuse for it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I thought that you would have learned something after all these months, but your sempiternally teenage anger has closed your mind and locked it under seven keys. You've become the abominable jingoistic American puppet you claim to detest. Congrats, you are part of the gang! I'm not wasting any more time trying to talk adult stuff with you. Go applaud the murder of journalists or something.

Jedi Ben and jp-30 like this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't support the killing of anybody.
    Thanks Ender.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Nine years old indeed.

6. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
  7. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Dang it.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I don't see what's so terrible about the Charlie Hebdo cartoons. They're juvenile, yes, but I once saw a painting of Mary smeared in feces and it was being shown in a museum.

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    But your insulting me was allowed. I guess when a mod wants to insult a user it's okay.

Man the JCC really is a bunch of hypocritical leftists. It's okay to insult Muslims, but if I wanted to make a comment about women or blacks I'd be crucified ala OZK. Maybe he should have just stuck to Muslims.

Wocky was banned for posting one of the Cartoons here. Maybe that should tell you something.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, the banning should teld PG that the picture contained nudity.

I could unedit your post so it speaks for itself and people can judge, but people already know what to expect from you. Martyrdom is too big for you: try a different schtick.

And if you don't like this place, well, you know...

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    I like this place just fine. It's some of the people I don't like.

Don't you have Muslims to harass or something? When did you get the time to practice your Ender.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The TOS isn't the arbiter of what's terrible or not in the real world. For example we disallow a lot of profanity on the boards but that doesn't make profanity abominable.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Profanity is glorious.

Jedi Ben and Darth Punk like this.
  14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Vivec, this is the last thing I'm going to tell on the subject. Afterwards, you can call me "Ender", "Montie" or any of your power words and you won't get any response, because I think this has gone on for too long and this thread shouldn't be "the Vivec and Schwarz show", as people died and I'm assuming people want to talk about it. I usually wouldn't go this low, but you've been raging against people for months and it's become tiresome.

On your time here I've known you as a rabid Christian zealot that raged on me for suggesting that sex outside of marriage was okay, as a crazy atheist that called me weak because I thought tolerance of religious ideas was the way, and now as a kind of vague Socialdemocrat archetype that I'm honestly not interested enough on that just called me a bigot because I think that certain cartoons that mock the French government's racism by portraying racist stereotypes are not racist, or that radical Muslims deserve to be mocked as much as anyone else. You've worn so many personas, you've been "born again" so many times, you've always been so angry about so many different things, that it's hard to take you any seriously anymore, especially when every single thing you say is some kind of out-of-the-blue personal attack or some kind of reference to some past slight against you that no one gives a crap about. People tell me that you are just trying to find yourself, but you've had enough time to do it. You might have problems in your life, but guess what: everyone does. Whatever it is... let it go. Enough is enough, dude. You are not a child anymore, and you shouldn't expect to be treated as one.

I don't know if you're going to at least try to extract anything useful from my words or if you are going to believe I'm just having one of those "meltdowns" you like so much (sadly I believe it's going to be the latter), but believe me when I say this: I like you but I've had enough. I'm not going to interact personally with you ever again. It's just not worth it.

If you'd rather I delete this post, say so and it will be gone. But you deserved to hear this.

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

this but mostly im just pissed that now nobodys going to pay attention to my awesome posts for the evening

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    You and everyone who liked this post can piss right off as far as I'm concerned.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I have no idea what sort of weird personal history you have with Vivec. Let's be clear, though. He hasn't embraced some "vague Social Democrat archetype." He's pointed out, rightly, that the Hebdo cartoons could often be plainly racist. Like, for instance, the one I got banned for posting a picture of. The people affected by that law were certainly not uniformly "radical muslims" and the aim was not to lampoon the government's action. It cheered on a mean-spirited, purposeless law that targetted a group that was already a marginalized minority. There's nothing aberrant in someone pointing that out.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    You don't want me to be clear with you, Wocky, you really don't.

Not interested in rehashing why I think you are wrong. Similar reasons as above, only I think you are truly malicious, so my interest in engaging in dialogue with you is even lower. You can easily backtrack in this thread and read my answers to those points (and then disregard them) if you feel inclined, though.

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't think you want to violate the TOS, either.

Nor am I even entirely certain what your post is supposed to mean beyond the first sentence. Regardless, I didn't come in here to rehash this tired thread either. It's always fine to disagree. My point is that Vivec's argument is not some wild-eyed easily caricatured position. His feeling of discomfort about these cartoons is one shared by a lot of people, even after they have the relevant context and are engaged in the issue. You should separate whatever issue you have with him, from the legitimacy of his point. Again, that doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but probably deserves more acknowledgment than your description above.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    No need to.

And no, it definitely doesn't.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I have this mental image of someone with a barely healed wound that the person decided to start punching for no reason. There is absolutely no reason that the same old fight had to be refought over the last news story given that:

I. The cartoon contest is probably some percentage of people arguing for free speech and people who are just being racist. The only debate that you people could possibly have is over the proportion of each amount, which is hard to prove and irrelevant anyway.

II. Murdering people is just the worst and people shouldn't do it.

Like, that's it. Some people suck, some people have a legit point, and either way killing them is bad.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, but the point is, they did not deserve to die because of it.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Nicely put, Jello. This is a completely separate story. It should have had its own thread, honestly.

(As an aside, I notice that quite often the people more willing to put limits to freedom of speech are the people that have never been deprived of it.)

To answer to Jabba-wocky:

With that sentence you couldn't understand, I meant that I tend to consider you a malicious agent and, while that's cool when just having fun, I find hard to get into serious dialogue with you. Here, for example, you noticed that I said I wouldn't get into personal dialogue with Vivec anymore, so your reply centered precisely on that, using also arguments that would goad me into replying. You might not be aware of that behavior, but it happens with regularity, and it doesn't make talking to you any pleasant, honestly.

And of course the identity of the person posing the argument is important. You seem to think it's an emotional trait (probably a weakness?) but there's nothing but logic behind it. We've known each others for years. You don't take "you are worthless" the same way if some random pedestrian or if you mother tells you so. You don't take the advice from your alcoholic friend on how cool it is to drink and drive. We have the measure of each other, and we know where we come from. You know who's merely parroting, who's just trolling, and who knows what they are talking about. Statements don't happen in a void. Message and messenger are sometimes equally important. Disregarding that kind of information would be idiocy.

You are also assuming I haven't considered those arguments you mention, too, and I don't know why you do so. They are old, after all. It's no new school of thought that will blow my mind. You mention the people disturbed by the Hebdos and company. There are many people, too, that feel extremely disturbed -actually alarmed- by the impassioned call of a sector of the center-left to put limits to satire or to self-expression, and by the stunning lack of sensibility shown when a multiple murder is somehow justified (or at least depicted as understandable) as the authors "asking for it" and the murderers end up being the offended victims. They are people that have seen where that kind of "freedom has limits" talk takes, or at least that have heard so from their parents' lips. Also, some people are also worried about America trying to impose their morals everywhere else, and rightfully so. When there's a confluence of both, well, it tends to make the rest of us very worried.

Jedi Ben, Darth Tunes and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Kindly point me to where any JCC users suggest they should. It's very much like the police shootings in Ferguson. It was absolutely wrong and criminal. No one should ever advocated murdering people in that way. But by the same token, it wasn't wrong for protestors to keep complaining about police mistreatment after the two officers were shot. They could be critical of the police without advocating hurting them. In the same way, a person can be critical of cartoonists whose work they feel is negative or racist without supporting people that hurt or kill said cartoonists. Dying isn't and shouldn't be some magical shield against all future criticism.