main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

12:01 showings- who's going where?

Discussion in 'Archive: Miami, FL' started by ilovechewchew, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxgarciach

maxgarciach Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    was anyone in dolphin mall theater 15, where in the begining when the (long time ago...) part comes on, the screen was messed up. It was split into two and I couldn't read what it said. everyone started yelling.

Anyone know where i can find out?

2. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    Yeah, sea_tropper, I saw you. You had a mustache correct?

I was like the 6th person in line.

DUEL, DUEL, DUEL, DUEL [face_laugh]

3. DarthOlomew2005

DarthOlomew2005 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    Max:

While I may not live in FL, I am a projectionist at a theatre where I do live.

The split-screen screw-up was caused by the projector's appeture(sp) plate getting jammed between settings.

For those who do not know about projection and film types, basically there are two formats for movies:

1 - FLAT
    Flat format movies are the smallest aspect ratio and do not take up the full width of modern theatre screens. One can tell a flat movie by looking at the film. It has thick black bars between frames, and the images look normal.

2 - SCOPE
    Scope format movies present the widest aspect ration, taking up the full width of modern theatre screens. Scope movies can be identified by almost non-existant lines between frames, and images look scrunched inward.

Episode III is a scope-format film.

In the incident at your theatre, what happened was that the previews/pre-feature ads were flat-format, and when the projector automatically switched to the scope lens, the appeture plate (a metal plate with two square holes of differing sizes to block out light around the edges of the image) jammed between settings. you no doubt saw one half taller than the other, though with a black background, it may have been difficult.

This is a common problem, but is not due to human error.

In modern theatres, it is not uncommon to have only one projectionist on duty in charge of all screens. And with your theatre having 15 screens, with several films starting at overlapping times, it is impossible to watch-dog everything. The theatre I work at is 16-screens, and I find myself running back and forth from one end of the building to the other.

I know that such a malfunction can be frustrating, and can make Jedi fall to the dark side when it occurs durring a premier of a Star Wars movie. I just thought it would be useful for those who experienced the incident to understand why it happened.

May the force be with you, and God bless...

4. sea_trooper

sea_trooper Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2003
    Yup, that's me :D. I can't believe me and that wheelchair guy were the only ones who dressed up!

The sixth person? I wish I hadn't gotten there so late! lol

5. maxgarciach

maxgarciach Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2005
    thanks for the answer

6. Mephistopheles

May 3, 2005
    Yeah, I got there around 7:15. What pissed me off was that so many people tried to skip us.

BTW, what theater were you in?

7. sea_trooper

sea_trooper Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2003
    Theater 1. The BIG line.

8. Mephistopheles

May 3, 2005
    Man I thought those previews would never end.

9. DarthKoRnRawker

DarthKoRnRawker Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Man ROTS WAS AWESOME!!! I was at Dolphin since 5:30 on Wednesday so I was the 2 person in line and then 10 mins later they let us all into the auditoriums so we didnt have to wait in line!!! What REALLY sucked was that with 10 mins left of the movie...it melted!!! :( It was like 5 mins until they got it running againg but we lost like 10 secs of the film. No matter though cuz I went to watch again on Thursday at 7:30 and I saw everything!!! EXCELLENT MOVIE!!!

10. ilovechewchew

ilovechewchew Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2005
    the new theatre in kendall where i went was packed and alot of people dressed up, or at least brought light sabers (wich weren't allowed IN the theatre).
    i just wore a black gothic gown and furry black boots (black wookie feet!).
    alot of people, including my boyfriend wore the darth vader voice changing mask/helmet. wich, by the way, the batteries started dying and it started like malfunctioning and just constantly breathing. there is no way to turn the thing off. people were whispering "is that the movie?" and "turn it off!". it was embarrassing! we finally wrapped it up in a friends trench coat.

i think they reserved 13 of the 16 auditoriums. standing in line didn't really make a difference cuz i had my tix like 2 weeks in advance. i didn't realize they were seating by auditorium. i was in #10, incase anyone else was.

they let us in around 9:30-10:00 to sit and wait inside. i think the a/c was broke though, but it wasn't too bad.

needless to say, it was awesome and worth every minute of the 4 hours i stood outside in line.

i'll have pix up in my live journal soon, if anyone would like to take a look. i'll repost after i get 'em online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.