main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania 12:01am Screening of Ep 2?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Xavier-Kandryth, Jan 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xavier-Kandryth

Xavier-Kandryth Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2001
    I'm not sure if this has been posted at an earlier date and I am not aware of it, so a premature sorry if this is the case, but anyways. Does anybody know if it is safe to assume that cinemas in Australia will be running a 12:01am screening of Episode 2 like they did for the release of Episode 1? I am hoping this is the case, and furthermore if it is, that would mean that the beautiful people of Australia would get to see the movie before the general public in America (according to the starwars.com it is being released on the 16th of May in much of the western world), that would be quite funny methinks. Anyways, if anyone does have any information that will enlighten me on this particular hope, feel free to share.

2. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    It would be quite fun posting reviews on the forums before anyone else has seen the movie. I certainly hope you are right

3. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    and the beautiful people of NZ would see it before anyone else in the world [face_mischief]

4. kingjim

kingjim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2001
    Damn, you got us with that one! :eek:
    However, Crocodile Dundee II and X-Men are two examples of movies that came out on the same day in Australia and America. I saw them on the first day AND that meant I saw them before the Americans. Alright! :D
    It would be awesome if the same thing happened with ATOC.

5. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah, the Yanks I spoke to were dieing to see Croc Dundee 2.

6. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    The same thing is happening with AOTC

7. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Fantastic... however I would like to see it confirmed by Village and Hoyts first...

8. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I'll have to see it at Greater Union here. Biggest screens in NSW out at Glendale. Or they were when they were made about 5 years back.

9. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    NZ = o\/\/ns the World, due to always leading it into the new day. And because of that - we get things first.

:D

10. Xavier-Kandryth

Sep 8, 2001
    Dude, I hate to prick your balloon, but NZ rarely gets anything first in the way of magazines/movies/games. Just thought that was worth pointing out...

11. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    it would be folly not to premiere 12.01am screenings of AOTC.

It's all but a given that the major cinemas will do it.

12. kingjim

kingjim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2001
    If there is a midnight screening and it's half a day before it screens in America, boy, I am SO going to brag about it on the FanForce message boards! [face_devil]

13. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
  14. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Wedge have you seen the Sydney Hoyts cinemas at George St and Fox Studios? They're pretty big and new.

15. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    We'd like to have a midnight screening but so far none of the cinemas here seem to be planning any. We'd pretty much assumed their would be but at least it looks like our club will be able to book the biggest Greater Union cinema in Perth for a screening on the 16th (thanks to some checking around by Darth Soup).

16. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Can't say I have, but I know someone that saw Lantana at Fox Studios, so I'll ask her what the comparrison is like. But, like I said, the one's here at Glendale were the biggest in NSW when they were made. About 5 years back now. It's very possible we've been outdone.

17. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I remember a few years back when I was in NSW, a friend who owned a cinema told me that the Innaloo cinema complex in Perth was the biggest in Australia. I doubt it still is but is was then (about '94). I was kind surprised but then I realised that most cinema complexes around Sydney at the time had no more than 8 screens. Innaloo had 11 and was adding more. I wonder what the biggest would be now.

18. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Are we talking about biggest screens or biggest complexes (# of screens)?

19. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I was talking about the actual size of the screens. Six of Glendale's are average, with two of the 'mega-screens' that were the big ones that were at one stage the big ones.

20. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    These days i'm more interested in seeing which films are being shown in the proper surround sound format, usually only 1 or 2 screens actually have the surround sound set up properly

21. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Yeah that's what the two main screens are. It's the best place I've seen a movie in.

22. Xavier-Kandryth

Sep 8, 2001
    I contacted Bitch Carrol and Coyle Cinema's the other night regarding the possibility of an Episode II midnight screening and the response I got was as follows:

"This is still to be confirmed on the midnight screenings.
    Lucasfilm are still looking at it.

Best regards,

Greater Union/Birch Carroll & Coyle"

If this is indeed the case, then I hope that Lucasfilm make their decision soon so tickets can be bought before the day of the screening...

23. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    The cinemas near me (Chermside) have 16 cinemas!

24. Xavier-Kandryth

Sep 8, 2001
    Chermside is where I will be at if they do do a midnight screening, it beats my local cinema (Toombul) by a long shot.

25. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    The major cinemas are changing their mind about 12:01 sessions and when you're allowed to book them each day, it seems. Many a Victorian has rung up Village and Hoyts and received a variety of different answers. I've even heard one claim that ALL midnight screenings have been cancelled worldwide, though I'm not sure on that one. I suggest you wait until it's closer to the release date and don't worry about it too much. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.