main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

12" Leia Variations

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by jedidavid, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedidavid

jedidavid Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 11, 2000
    I just bought an extra 12" Leia ANH and Leia Hoth from KB Toys. I'd seen some customized versions at Rebelscum and thought I'd try them out.

Well, as I set them up next to the originals I noticed some major differences in the ANH Leia. The one I got 7 years ago has a dress with a hood on the back that goes down past the butt, while the new one goes just above her waist. Secondly, the original version has slits up the sides that go from the bottom to about the knees ( Maybe 3 inches) while the newer one has slits about half an inch long that might make it to her ankle. Finally, the old one has a slip on under the dress that has the long slits in it, while the one I just bought has no slip whatsoever. Also, the face on the new one has less rosey cheeks.

The Hoth Leia is only slightly different. The original had a somewhat tan vest while the new one has a vest exactly the same color as the rest of the outfit.

I'd never heard about this before, and I thought someone might be interested.

2. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    that's interesting...i picked those two up for the first time a couple months ago from kbtoys.com. my hoth leia has the vest that is the same color as the rest of the suit. hard to tell about the ANH leia, because she's still in the box.

i hope you got a good deal. for some reason the website switches the price around every few days. i started a thread about them some time ago.

3. jedidavid

Sep 11, 2000
    Yeah, I got them and Luke Pilot for $9.99. I got Boba Fett before that, but I'm thinking I got that one at full price. It pays to be patient with them when you can.

4. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    I've had those 12 inchers for about seven years now... the Collector Series Leia you speak of I have with the first description you gave. As for the Hoth Leia, she was a Service Merchandise exclusive, so I'm guessing that before they closed their stores, they passed on whatever toy inventory they had left to K*B Toys, which is why they still have them for sale online. The version that I have has the vest the same color as the rest of the outfit.

5. jedidavid

Sep 11, 2000
    The difference is subtle but the one I got from Service Merchandise has a slight tan color to it. I'm actually dyeing the new one I'm customizing a darker shade of tan. I also dry brushed some brown into the hair of both dolls so they look more realistic.

6. anakin_skywalker_sct

anakin_skywalker_sct Jedi Master star 5

Apr 18, 2001
    Sorry if this is a bit of a newbie question, but are these variants deliberately altered to make them more collectible or are they caused by happy manufacturing faults?

And how are the heads on 12"ers? I'm wondering if I should get the 1999 Portrait Edition Amidala, since I saw it for £9.99 in a sale in Forbidden Planet. Where I'd put the bloody thing is another matter. Need shelf space...

7. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    I have the Portrait Edition Amidala from the Senate scene, and she's a really nice item to have. I got her on clearance from K*B Toys a few years back. I remember them also having the one in the travelling gown. If it's a good price, it's worth it.

8. Beautiful_Skywalker

Beautiful_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2004
    The Portrait Edition Amidalas look great. Space is a problem for me as well, so the only one I'm currently displaying is the Defense of Naboo 2 pack with Qui-Gon. I would say they're worth picking up. The quality is outstanding and the price can't be beat.

9. jedidavid

Sep 11, 2000
    The variations might come out because Kenner (now Hasbro) was unhappy with the doll and changed it for quality purposes. I'm sure the slip didn't add anything to the doll except make it look chunky, so they probably cut it out to trim cost.

I see they are on sale at the KB website for $11.99. They're both nice, but I like how my customs are turning out. I put the heads on Cy-Girls perfect bodies which look a lot more feminine. They have more exagerated figures and narrower shoulders, but once the outfits are on they look proportioned correctly. I took them over to my Moms to have her take in the outfits so they fit better. She's the seamstress of the family. Finally I drybrushed a medium brown paint into the hair. The ANH Leia is about done, but I'm going to have my wife help me repaint the face on the Hoth Leia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.