main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

15 Year Olds Speak Up!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by steveskywalker, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveskywalker

steveskywalker Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2002
    I come to this board alot and a I always see film "veterans" talking and arguing about some of the topics come up, but newbies seem to be left out of it. So, this thread is for 15 yr. olds (13 - 17 too :)) to discuss things like newbie questions, warez, and other things/challenges we 15 yr. olds face when starting to make and/or making a fan film.

*Note: This is for 13 - 17 yr. olds ONLY. Of course, mods are always allowed. :d

Come on fellow newbs :), post away!

2. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Hmm well im not 13-17 and im not a newbie, but I do have to wonder at this topic since it seems like your trolling for arguments. I just have to say while there are some threads where things get out of hand and tempers flare, for the most part when people ask questions even newbie questions a lot people go out of the way to give awesome suggestions to materials that will help as well as direct explinations and critiques.

Just because someone points you to a book or a link with the information and they dont step by step explain how to do something doesnt mean newbies are being left out. Quite a few members of this board were involved with/still involved with figureing out how to do a lot of the effects that are available to you new commers for the first times in a multitude of platforms and programs. I know personaly I am much more satisfied to see someone use the resources we give them and figure things out on their own instead of just following a basic step by step and not gaining understanding of methods and techniques from it.

3. cbutlerc

cbutlerc Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2001
    You are deffinetly going to get some fired up about this one.

Where do you get the idea that newbies get left out. This is an open forum board where anyone can speak no matter who you are.
    Having a discussion with just newbies about challenges of starting a fan film wouldnt seem to accomplish alot, considering this is something new to them (hence the word newbie) and they little expierence in it. I would think you would want to incourage more participation from the more expierenced user who have faced these challenges and have figured out answers to them. You each may have different challenges but that is what this forum is for.

Age should not matter either, whether you 15 or 50 we all face the same challenges when trying new stuff.
    I am 25 and have been researching about film for around 1 year and have been doing 3D for about 3 years and I consider myself a newbie.
    I still have a lot to learn. That is why we are all here we feed off each other, it is some of the best ways to learn I think.

4. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    warez? warez is not allowed on this forum, regardless of how old you are.

5. NXTB

NXTB Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    I'm going to agree with the two (EDIT: three) above posters. First of all some newbies (mainly the ones would would post in this sort of thread, I guess) Do their best to research and grow on their own and come to boards like these to further their knowledge by getting tips/critiques from experianced guys. And of course more experianced memebers are constantly growing too.

Secondly, there are a lot of highly skilled teenagers around here who might be a bit offended by your post. I don't mind at all, but who knows who would. The challenges a person faces when first getting started are the same, regardless of their age.

That said, I'll be a 15 year old newbie until monday (the 5th) so hello, here I am, speaking up! :p

6. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    I'm going to beat TAC to it ...

read the faq
    Read the FAQ
    READ THE FAQ!

;)

Semaj, old man at 41.

7. Animaster

Animaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2001
    I don't really like the idea of this thread. It's great that you're being considerate to us younger filmmakers, but this isn't really needed. If people of any age, newbie or not, have a question they should either PM someone who knows, check in the FAQ or post a thread asking any questions they have.

I'm not sure what you really meant by your post, but you said that this is a thread for teens to post newbie questions. And I don't know about you, but I myself am 15 years old and do not in any way consider myself a newbie. There are plenty of people who are much older than this who are "newbies".

Also, as mentioned before warez is not acceptable talk here. And I'm sure anybody could talk about struggles in filmmaking no matter what their age.

have a nice day. :)

8. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    It's funny, many of the 'veterans' here like Animaster above are only about 15, give or take a couple of years. Newbies on the other hand are those who are just new to the board or those new to making films. They could be any age. As mentioned above, warez aren't tolerated either. There are plenty of low priced or free programs available that you can use until you can afford something better.

9. Lunatic_Pandora1

Lunatic_Pandora1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 14, 2002
    I am a whole lot older than 15, but thats not important now what is important is

"warez? warez is not allowed on this forum, regardless of how old you are. "

what is warez??

10. Darth_Apporth

Darth_Apporth Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2001
  11. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    warez = illigal copies of softwarez (haha get it? :p)

i my self am 19.. but i've been learning 3d graphics for 5 years... almost 6.. granted i had to float around thru alot of trial versions of truespace (1,2,3) a strata 3d demo until i finnaly convinced the higher ups i needed to go out and buy lightwave ;) after carefully looking at all the features of the high end software packages like max, maya, lightwave, and softimage ...

12. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

I act like a fifteen year old...does that count? :p

13. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    So I guess what little stevie-skywalker is trying to say is . . . .

If you are within the 13-17 range, then you should not be expected to read any tutorials or look up things in manuals. Everything should be set out for you plain-and-simple ... or even done for you. No one should be providing resources to which you can go to and reseach things on your own.

Is that what we are to understand stevie ???

Well . . . what a wonderful attitude to have, stevie. I am so encouraged to hear that you want to have your own thread where you can encourage laziness, low-self esteem and software pirating.

WAY TO GO, stevie .... WAY TO GO. ;)

I wonder how many of the other young members, whom you proport to speak for, feel the same way you do.
    I haven't seen too many of them chime in as of yet. ;)

14. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I'm 16, but I like to think I'm not a newbie to the boards, Fan Films, or TFN.

¤Night

15. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    Ok, here's my 2 cents:
    TAC- I think that's slightly juvenile of you to take offense at something like this, but of course, it is expected of you as the JediTAC we all know and love to smack down a redundant post such as this...
    However, i don't think that
    "If you are within the 13-17 range, then you should not be expected to read any tutorials or look up things in manuals. Everything should be set out for you plain-and-simple ... or even done for you."
    is what steve meant at all, i think he meant this thread to serve more as a safe harbour for wide-eyed 13-17 year-olds who want to make a fanfilm but are lost in the humongous resources available to them, and i can see where he's comming from, being 14 and in the middle of pre-production for a film of my own. No offense man, just my opinion, i respect you and you're free to disagree with me.

That being said:
    i agree with most of the people here that this thread is redundand and really won't help anyone. That is mostly because there is no need for a "safe harbour" on this board, the entire community is very helpful, especially to newbs.
    My advise to steve and any other "newbs", such as myself, is, if you have a problem, check the FAQ (hee hee) and if you can't find an existing thread to answer you're question, make your own. you gotta be patient though, and if in a couple days your question hasn't been answered, PM someone who appears knowledgable...

Anyhoo, that's my rant, i just realized how much of my and your time i wasted (i appologize to anyone who had to read this and congratulate anyone who didn't)

;-)

16. steveskywalker

Apr 27, 2002
    I can see why you guys misunderstood. All I meant for this thread was for people who, after looking at the FAQs and Tutorials, are starting out and are in the Pre-Post Production stages and want to speak to others in the same situations without all the overwhelming technical explanations that they don't know. I don't even know half of them. Some people might not be able to understand the tutorials and some of us other 13-17 yr. olds could explain it in lamins terms. I never meant for it to be a thread to promote laziness and low self-esteem like Tac said. It's just a kind of unofficial Social/Help Thread. That's all.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

Oh, and Tac, I'm not little. And instead of smacking people in the face, try to be a little bit nicer when helping them. All newbies go to the forum before the FAQ and Tutorials. Just my 2 cents. :)

17. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Where did I say I took offense to the thread? [face_shocked]

stevie's premise to the thread as a "safe harbor" to discuss things such as "warez" is simply ridiculous.
    THERE IS NO safe harbor discussion of warez on this Forum - plain and simple.

18. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    I'm sixteen...
    And this sickens me.

Young does not always equal newbie.

19. steveskywalker

Apr 27, 2002
    Well, I guess since none of you are getting the idea, there's really no point to have anyone else reply. I'm not calling 13-17 yr. olds newbies, this is not a thread about Warez, it's just one of the topics 13-17 can discuss, not promote, and it's just a thread where 13-17 yr. olds could talk without all the veterans and overwhelming technical vocab.

I wonder, Tac, if anyones ever insulted you before. Because it seems you try to be the Intimidator instead of the Adult Helper. Maybe you should find a tutorial somewhere telling you how to be polite and considerate. Nobody likes people who are rude and will be to them.

There's my .02 cents for you!

20. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Well, I just want to say that social threads are generally not allowed. If somehow you got permission for a "younger thread" for the 13-17 year olds, i hardly think we shouldn't be confned to using small words.

I mean, what if I want to talk about the 180GB SCSI RAID array I want to build into my Dual AMD XP machine I'm building? Is that too technical?

¤Night

21. steveskywalker

Apr 27, 2002
    Ya, for people who are just starting out with no knowledge of the technical terms. They wouldn't know what the heck your talking about. And then they get lost. We come to the board to help. This thread is for those that can explain all this Tech to them in simple, lamins terms so they can begin to learn the stuff. It's a big part on them, but we need to help too. It's like learning a foreign language. You can't just go talking spanish to a person who doesn't know one word. You and them have to work together to learn. We all have to help each other. We just have to make it a little more simpler for some. I made this thread just so people new to fanfilms can talk to each other, discuss tutorials they found, things they've learned, and tell others in the 13-15 yr. old range. Veterans can't speak newcomer, only advanced. And some 15 yr. olds are veterans and thats awesome. But for those who aren't, this is the thread for them. I'm not calling them "young", I'm not promoting "Warez", just a thread for the Unveterans who are still very new to this. This thread is also here for 13-15 yr. olds, who have read the tutorials and FAQ and are still stuck and have trouble posting threads with the Advanced Veterans. I'm not calling the newbs. Just saying that newbs can come too. I'm sorry if I insulted anyone, except for Tac, but this is just a Talk/Help Thread for 13-15 yr. olds who are very new to this. Basically, this a thread with 13-15 yr. olds helping 13-15 yr. olds.

22. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Poor ... poor stevie ... how little you know.

FYI, my friend ... I help people PLENTY on these Forums. Ask anyone who has been around for any length of period of time.

And I have been knocked at DOZENS of times. The difference is, I get my point accross and move on. MOST OF THE TIME, I am simply having some fun - while at the same time trying to instill a sense of "do-it-yourself" learning and research.

So when I, or any other person who has been around for a while, provides a link to a tutorial, website or prior thread, I don't see why some new members should be so upset. True, we may not be handing you the answer on a silver platter ... but we are providing you with the resources you need to get you started. ;)

So, there really is no need for a separate thread for 13-17 year olds. Age doesn't really play any part in FanFilmmaking .... not unless someone acts like a child. I think there is enough unnecessary segregation in the world to need something like that here ... don't ya think?

This thread is played out .... move on and get to FanFilmmaking. :D

23. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I am 15 and I have completed fanfilm (well it started when I was 14, but it took a while :)), so I can help you with things young people may need before you go out to begin your fanfilm. PM me with anything you may want.

~Neszis~

24. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    FYI, my friend ... I help people PLENTY on these Forums. Ask anyone who has been around for any length of period of time.

It has been a long time since I have jumped your butt. Looks like it is time again.

I guess since I have been here for quite a while I can speak as a REGULAR poster on this board and not a NEWB. You help almost no one here. Your harsh statements and condescending attitude turn most people off. I have posted and sent you a few PMs on this matter. I thought you had turned over a new leaf since your marriage/engagement/pregnancy, but I guess that was short lived. You aspire to be newbie traffic cop but all you have accomplished is to turn many away from this board and fan films in general.

Let me ask this... what fan film have you done? Where are your test shots? Where are your original 3D models? Do you know how to use a computer for anything other than surfing TFN? Why do you list your location as California but have a forum registered in the UK? Prove to me and everyone else here why you deserve the time of day much less a critique of their views or work. You can skip the 'poor guy' answer and actually respond with something useful.

D

25. Teron-MIROK

Teron-MIROK Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2002
    I dont understand why people make such a big deal out of not reading the FAQ. Heaven forbid someone comes to these boards looking for help without first reading the FAQ. Dont we blow this way out of proportion? Is it really that difficult to just tell people what they need to know and go on? Whats the point of taking the time to post on someones thread and not even answer the question? Just tell them to go and do some work? Do we really hold ourselves that highly, that just because we had to look for somthing that everyone else has to look? Who cares? Tell them what they need to know, and get on with it. Geez. I can see why steve feels this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.