main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 166 Songs Deemed Inappropriate After 9/11: #59: Fuel "Bad Day"

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 24, 2011.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    I sort of see this one, too.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    #54: Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/Bob_Dylan_-_Knockin_on_Heavens_Door.jpg]

&

#64: Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Guns 'N Roses.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b7/GNR_Heaven.jpg]

Since these are relatively close to each other in the lineup, and are pretty similar to each other (though Dylan and other performers have changed the lyrics over the years, they're more or less the same), I'm just going to tackle these together. Especially since the GNR version gets more radioplay by a massive margin, there's no point talking about the song without including the GNR version.

Now, apparently the lyrics are about a Sheriff feeling he's unable to do his job anymore- and while that could be applicable to the 9/11 situation, I don't believe the people behind this list thought that hard about these songs to make such a connection, and simply went with a more obvious title/chorus connection of the phrase "knockin; on heaven's door" to suggest one is dead, or close to death.

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'd certainly appreciate a refusal to play the GNR version -- Axl's vocals are incredibly grating.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I love the song, but it's overplayed (as are a lot of GNR's songs). But then, Use Your Illusion II was one of my first CD's and I love most of the songs on there.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

This. I really don't like that version of the song. Dylan's version, of course, is great.

One of many strange songs to be deemed inappropriate.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually didn't even know it was a Dylan song until i saw this list. I mean, it's not surprising as I don't really listen to his stuff, but rock stations for the past 15+ years pretty much play the GNR version exclusively.

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Clapton recorded a version of it, too. Surprised that that version didn't make the list. I think Clapton's version, which has more reggae influence, was my first introduction to the song.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The list is selective it seems when it comes to covers. For example, as we mentioned early on the list, Alien Ant Farm's cover of "Smooth Criminal" is on the list, but not the original by Michael Jackson.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Like a lot of Dylan songs, I find this song incredibly comforting in Dylan's version. It's unpretentious, achingly gorgeous and really, really short. And while it's elegiac, it's got a resigned peace to it that I find really moving. The GnR version is not bad, though it is, of course, radically different in tone. Clapton's version is not one of my favorites of his covers; I don't really think the reggae thing works for the song. But whatever, it's a great, great song. Quest, you gotta get into Dylan, man; he's amazing.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, between GNR, Hendrix and Watchmen, I've greatly enjoyed the covers of his work, does that count? ;)

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know that version of "The Times They Are A-Changin'" from Watchmen is the Dylan version, yes?:p

This pick is dumb (Aren't most of them?) but at least it'd mean a marked reduction in the plays of the GnR cover. I like Appetite for Destruction as much as the next metalhead, but if you cover Dylan you need to either be fantastic or just sit right back on down, and this cover's certainly not the former.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think he's referring to the MCR cover of Desolation Row.

I actually hear the original Knockin' on Heaven's Door on the radio more often than the GnR version. Again included on this list for the simple reason of referring to death.[face_skull]

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My mistake- I mixed up the use of Dylan song during the opening credits with the presence of the other cover song.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Thing is, I liked GNR generally way back when, but when I hear their stuff now, the Appetite for Destruction stuff still works, but everything off Use You Illusion comes off as incredibly self-indulgent crap.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    #55: Santa Monica by Everclear.
    (video link has a couple audio skips partway through, but has a clear set of lyrics)

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/Everclear_-_Santa_Monica_cd_single.png]

So, my guess is here that the key phrases that were "objectionable" were the opening "still living with your ghost" and the chorus's "leave the fire behind" and "watch the world die".

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Is it strange that I have both the Guns and Roses and the Bob Dylan version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door, and that they're in fact right next to each other on one of my play lists, and it never occurred to me that they're the same song?

I'm halfway tempted to create a thread about Bob Dylan covers. All Along the Watchtower (Dylan vs. Hendrix), Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Dylan vs. Guns and Roses), I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Dylan vs. Norah Jones), If Not For You (Dylan vs. George Harrison), The Times They Are A-Changing' (Dylan vs. the Byrds), Make You Feel my Love (Dylan vs. Adele), etc. Or whomever you prefer on any of the tracks.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That is one of the great things about Dylan, just how many great covers there are of his material. I think Hendrix beats Dylan out on All Along the Watchtower, but that's one of the few times Dylan gets beat out by a cover, however great the cover is. Though I also really love Richie Havens' All Along the Watchtower, which he dares to take back to acoustic and just croon it out. Lovely, really.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    #56: Johnny Angel by Shelley Fabares.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/98/Johnny_Angel_Shelley_Fabares.jpg]

...wow, ok, um, I guess it's the references to "heaven" that qualified this one? Cause other than that, it's pretty obviously centered on your typical 1950's lovey-dovey bubbly cliche. Nothing really edgy in there at all (unless Clear Channel feels it is no longer appropriate for women to feel tingly in a post-9/11 world ;)) .

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    The people who made the list seriously lack imagination, or maybe a 'this-is-ridiculous' gene...

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    (I'll slowly be working to update the formatting for the previous entries)

#57: Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter.
    [​IMG]

Though the song is about the suicide of a PA official convicted of bribery (often mistaken as being about the suicide of Kurt Cobain), I suspect this excerpt is what got it on the list:

Now that the smoke's gone
    And the air is all clear
    Those who were right there
    Got a new kind of fear

However, like most songs on the list that have a similarly remote connection, I doubt many, if any, would make such an interpretation of the track.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ah, this thread. Can't wait to see what other songs are idiotically part of this list.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dammit, I was so much happier when I had forgotten about these silly guidelines. :p

I look forward to more instances of being utterly flabbergasted, I suppose.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This post about killed me. :p

I remember when clear channel banned these songs. I don't think the ban lasted long, did it? The most ridiculous one I remember is John Lennon's Imagine--not sure if you've gotten to that, yet. I haven't read the whole list (what's been posted, so far, I mean).

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Haven't gotten there yet- the list is in alphabetical order, by last name (or simply band name).

25. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

I always heard it as "Dirty Dean and the Thunder Chief".