main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Bittersweet (A/P vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ViariSkywalker, Mar 29, 2005.

1. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Title: Bittersweet
    Author: Viari Skywalker
    Timeframe: Clone Wars/ROTS
    Characters: Anakin and Padmé Skywalker
    Genre: Romance, Angst

Notes: This is actually a little something that I wrote after seeing a Van Gogh painting. The original has nothing to do with Star Wars, but after reading through it, I realized with a little tweaking it would make a decent Anakin/Padmé vignette. So I hope you enjoy this little one-shot on events surrounding the end of the Clone War and the beginning of ROTS. (No spoilers present...merely my own imagination.)

[:D] [face_dancing]

Bittersweet

“You know I love you.”

She looked back at him, at the pleading expression on his face. She knew that face as well as she knew her own. Sometimes it seemed like she’d been born knowing. There had been a time when she would have found that thought romantic or comforting. Now it only filled her with regret.

“Yes,” she finally murmured in reply. “I know.” She turned away, aware that he had taken a step toward her. He now stood at her left shoulder, hindered by his own uncertainty.

“What’s happened to us?” he asked with a strangled voice. She could hear the heavy breathing that accompanied his tears, and she tried even harder to focus on the glistening lake in the distance. He placed a tentative hand on her shoulder, and the only reason she let him was because it would kill him if she pulled away.

“I don’t know,” she said almost absently as her thoughts traveled back to happier times spent in this place. The lake country had been one place where her mind was at ease, no matter what the circumstances were. With a hint of melancholy she realized it would never give her solace again.

The hand on her shoulder moved up along the curve of her neck in a motion more instinctive than deliberate. He cupped her chin in his palm and turned her head until she was fully facing him. His eyes were a clear blue that she had always loved, and the trails of his tears were still wet on his cheeks. The sight of him pierced her heart like a fatal arrow.

He moved around her so that his body was inches from hers, and he took her face in both hands. “Please,” he whispered. That was all he had to say, because she could feel every emotion behind the words. What had happened to them? Things had not been right for a long time, but in this beautiful place could she honestly swear that she no longer loved him?

He searched her eyes for what seemed like hours, and just when she felt the tears welling up inside her, he averted his gaze. His shoulders slumped as his hands fell away from her face. He took a step away, then stopped. She didn’t dare look back at him. They stood in silence as the sun dipped beneath the hills.

“It’ll be dark soon,” he stated sadly.

She nodded. “We should be heading home.”

Neither of them moved. Somewhere in the distance a shaak was braying gently, and she felt a light wind blow across her skin. The light continued to dim, and still they stood facing opposite directions, lost in thought and purpose.

It was he who finally broke the silence.

“Would you let me kiss you one last time?”

The sincerity and innocence of his request made her take in a surprised breath. He continued to look away from her as he awaited any kind of response. She was suddenly aware of the fact that she had reached a crossroads. Whatever choice she made now would permanently affect her life one way or another. Was she ready to make this choice?

She looked over her shoulder and saw him silhouetted against the twilight. Her hand found his, and she gave it a gentle squeeze. She pulled him close until her lips were next to his ear. “I will never bring anyone else here,” she promised softly. In one fluid motion she wrapped her arms around his neck and felt him pull her into a long, bittersweet kiss.

It was agonizingly intense, and she swore her heart never broke as many times as it did in that eternal moment. She knew that no man would ever hold her as he did, would ever kiss her as he had. She hoped with all her heart that he knew this, because she could not find the words to tell him.

As she began to pull away he reached desperately for her hands. “I love you,” he breathed, his tone pleading. It was not a confession but a request. “Stay with me.”

She shook her head but said nothing. She didn’t let go of his hands, and she didn’t try to leave. He felt her fear and hesitation, and without another word he encircled her waist with his arms, burying his face in the curve of her neck. His breath was warm, and she felt his lips tremble as he forced himself not to kiss her.

“I’m so sorry,” she whispered. She heard him take in a shaky breath, and he shuddered at her words. She willed him not to cry, pleaded silently with the Force to tell her what to do.

“If you don’t love me anymore, please tell me,” he said, his voice muffled.

She choked as tears slid from her upraised eyes. She gripped his arms and felt his hold on her tighten. I love you more than you will ever know, she heard herself thinking. But I can’t stay.

“I’ll make this right again,” he swore fiercely, leaning back to gaze at her.

She shook her head but could not let go. Once upon a time she had promised that she would never leave him. She could not break her promise. She could not betray her heart. Darkness stretched across the lake country, and as the last vestiges of light retreated below the horizon, she prayed she was doing the right thing.

The End

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    It was very bittersweet to read that, since there's a good deal of potential foreshadowing.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That just leaves me with the biggest knot in my chest. Very nicely written Viari.

4. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    How sad! Good story.

5. Jedi_Bant

Jedi_Bant Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2004
    i wanted my first post in over two weeks to go somewhere really special and i think this is the place. justlike its name, this story manages to be wonderful and unbearable at the same time.

6. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    DarthIshtar - Yeah, it was really strange that I wrote that without thinking of Star Wars, and it ended up being a perfect A/P story with the appropriate foreshadowing. I guess the GFFA just seeps into my daily life when I least expect it! :p

Healer_Leona - Thank you very much!

Dally - Thanks!

Jedi_Bant - I'm honored that you chose your first post in 2 weeks to be here! Thank you! :)

7. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Oh, that was just heartbreaking. I was in tears near the end. You portrayed Padme's inner struggle so beautifully, and I could truly sense both their pain.

She shook her head but could not let go. Once upon a time she had promised that she would never leave him. She could not break her promise. She could not betray her heart. Darkness stretched across the lake country, and as the last vestiges of light retreated below the horizon, she prayed she was doing the right thing in staying.

So fitting, the way the sun went down, making way for darkness, as she makes her decision to stay. Excellent foreshadowing.

Bravo! =D=

8. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    Beautiful! =D=

Absolutely lovely.

9. Fisto89

Fisto89 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    I'm usually not into the romantic side of the story, finding it a tad bit dull, but you were able to convince me otherwise. Hopefully, the romance scenes in Ep. III will not be as tiresome or wooden as AOTC.

10. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Gina - So fitting, the way the sun went down, making way for darkness, as she makes her decision to stay. Excellent foreshadowing.

--Thanks! :)

DreamOfKenobi - Gracias!

Fisto89 - I'm glad I could help change your mind! What a compliment! :D

11. hansgirl1031

hansgirl1031 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 26, 2005
    Oh my goodness! I think bittersweet is an understatement! That was just sooo sad! :_| But beautiful too. I'm glad she stayed with him. Ahhh if only...

12. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Ah.

Speechless. There are no words. None.

13. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Beautiful. Simply breathtaking, really. And so tragic as well...

Wonderful. There's nothing more I can say.

14. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    That was amazing =D= .

15. Lieutenant_Jaina

Lieutenant_Jaina Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 26, 2003
    That made me shiver and brought a knot to my throat. For that I thank you. Please keep writing more viggies like this.

Great, just great.

16. JediJen-aaha

JediJen-aaha Jedi Master star 2

Nov 4, 2002
    Oh god...I'm crying. That was...unbelievable.

17. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    wow, i'm leaving for work in 10 minutes...

I said, hmm that looks interesting, then I'm led into this story...

wow, now I want to call in sick, cuz I feel sick to my stomach after this. I can totally feel that pain, there going through in ever instant, and it brought back some bad memories of my own.... i'm going to go find a corner now.

Edit: This was meant to be a compliment. lol

18. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Awww. That was really good.

19. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Wow, I'd almost forgotten about this vignette! Now that ROTS is out, I remembered writing this...

hansgirl1031 - Thank you!

leia_naberrie - [face_blush] Thanks!

Alethia - Gracias!

Jek_Windu - Again, thank you!

Lieutenant_Jaina - I'm glad you liked it! I hope to write more vignettes in the future that are equally enjoyable. :)

JediJen-aaha - Tears?! That's a great compliment in itself!

darksideyesplease - wow, now I want to call in sick, cuz I feel sick to my stomach after this. I can totally feel that pain, there going through in ever instant, and it brought back some bad memories of my own.... i'm going to go find a corner now.

Edit: This was meant to be a compliment. lol

--It's amazing to me that my writing can invoke such a strong reaction in a reader, so don't worry, I took that as a compliment! :D

FelsGoddess - Thanks!

And I thank all of you for reading this, whether you responded or not. It was sad yet fun to write it, and though ROTS took us along a different path, I think much of the emotion remains exactly the same. :)