main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

R2-D2 The Real Hero?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthXander, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXander

DarthXander Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    Surely R2-D2 is the real hero throughout all the Star Wars films?

He saves Queen Amidalas ship from destruction, helps Anakin destroy the Droid Control Ship, finds luke skywalker, saves the OT heroes from being compacted, helps luke destroy the death star, helps luke find dagobah, helps eveyone on Bespin the list goes on!!!!

R2-D2 is the real hero (please correct me if im wrong!!)

2. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    You are correct...

Anakin Skywalker is the main character, but R2D2 is the undisputed hero of the Star Wars saga.

R2 is also the narrator of the saga: a hundred years after the battle of Endor, he recounts the story to a Shaman of the Whills, who includes it in the Journal of the Whills. This book is what the saga is based on.

3. Hungry_Ghost

Hungry_Ghost Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    I'm sure I recently read an interview with Lucas where he said R2 was the real hero of the story, but I can't remember where it was.

4. cmbrown15

cmbrown15 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2005
    Absolutely. I tried to count the number of times that he's saved the day, from his first trip out onto Padme's ship in TPM straight on through getting blasted on Endor attempting to open the back door to the bunker. I can think of at least ten times he bailed the rest of the gang out.

5. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    The question is not whether R2-D2 is the real hero...the question is more: "R2-D2 - Deus Ex Machina???" :D

6. Smithenguan

Smithenguan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    R2 was fried when Luke destroyed the Death Star.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2004
    R2 saves the day once in every movie. It's an obvious device by Lucas.

8. crouchingjedi1

crouchingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    R2D2= The Chosen One

Think about it--he's the only "good guy" who can offensively use force lightning

9. GrandAdmiralJeff

GrandAdmiralJeff Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2005
    lol i hope your joking about him being able to use force lightning

10. crouchingjedi1

crouchingjedi1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    By the way, speaking of Artoo and his talents. . .

Are R2 and Yoda ever together in the same place for a significant time (not the TPM celebration scene) in the PT?

If so we might be looking at an extra line in the Ultimate Edition DVDs from Yoda.

*Right after Yoda bangs R2 with his cane*

Yoda: Good to see you again, it is. Heee heee !

11. 4PadmeNslavewear

4PadmeNslavewear Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Yes he is, 100% !!!

12. kainangmar

kainangmar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    R2= Russian defector! Or just a really handy robot.

13. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I actually didnt realize that R2 was with Anakin ( well, Vader, really ) almost the entire film. He's really the witness to the entire Saga. If R2 is your favorite character like he is mine then prepare to be very happy with RotS.

14. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Obi-Wan: That boy is our last hope.

Yoda: No. There is another...

Obi-Wan:...wait, that IS R2! We're saved!

:p

15. VtotheAtotheDER

VtotheAtotheDER Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    R2 was whooping some ass in ROTS...untill he got kicked. It took him two films to grow some balls then one thing happens to him and bam he just gives up. LOL it's a shame.

R2 is the shizzle fo' rizzle

16. TIEIntercepter

TIEIntercepter Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    Remeber the quote by Anikin(sp?) don't worry we have R2 with us..........he wasent joking!

17. Philosopher1701

Philosopher1701 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    The Making of Episode III, p. 72:

"George remarks to Rob Coleman that the story of Star Wars is actually recounted by R2-D2 to the Keeper of the Whills, one hundred years after Return of the Jedi. Journal of the Whills is what Lucas titled his first outline of Star Wars back in 1972."

;) ;)

18. WAF_Hellblazer

WAF_Hellblazer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    Imagine what would've happened if R2 had gotten blasted when saving the queen. The whole saga would have changed.....A LOT!!!!!!! Their ship would've exploeded, and Anakin would never have been found by the jedi. Wow......R2 Where would we be w/o u?

19. SithLord4488

SithLord4488 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    no doubt he plays a crucial role throughout the saga

20. THEFORCEISWITHME33

THEFORCEISWITHME33 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Yes, by all means he is the true hero. I believe he is responsible for saving EVERYONE'S butt at one point or another. And if droids could be jedi's then he'd be one!! Jedi Master D2. [face_dancing]

21. yoda_disciple

yoda_disciple Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2004
    i think i read that R2 is the real hero in lucas' interview in the latest rolling stone

22. wtehomie

wtehomie Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2004
    Yeah, in the Rolling Stone interview, Lucas compares R2 to the "Lassie" of the saga. R2's always getting the characters out of whatever jams they've gotten themselves into.

23. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    R2 is also the narrator of the saga: a hundred years after the battle of Endor, he recounts the story to a Shaman of the Whills, who includes it in the Journal of the Whills. This book is what the saga is based on.

It's possible then that he made himself look good.

24. Geezasfm

Geezasfm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I like that.

BTW, the whole recounting to the Lord of the Whills thing sounds A LOT like how the bible was recorded some years after Jesus' death. And it implies that the SW Saga is the "bible" for the new Jedi order...interesting stuff.

25. Magnotta

Magnotta Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    i don't know if "hero" is the right word. I'd say the hero of the story would be either Anakin or Luke. However, there is definetly more to R2 than first appears. At first glance to the casual user, he's just a droid, and there to provide some occaisonal comic releif. But if you watch more closely, he's a very important part of the story, who is involved in almost everything, seems to be the one character to interact with everybody in the story at least once, and bridges the 2 trilogys together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.