main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga 1977-1983 - The Golden Age of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by MidKnighT, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    For those of you who weren't a kid during this time. Sorry to say but... You missed out! I was too young to remember when ANH came out but I the era between ESB and ROTJ was truly legendary. Everyone wanted to know what would happen with Luke, Leia, and Han. The anticipation was killing us kids!

Post your pics, videos, and memories of the golden era of SW (1977-1983).

What I remember a lot about that era...the toys!

Trailers:

2. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm not trying to contest you (too much), but my "Golden Age" of Star Wars is 1977-2012 -- when Mister Lucas was in charge.

However, one could argue that the Golden Age is continuing under Disney, with two new films since then, and a third now on its way; and a whole lot of buzz in the air. Your focus determines your reality.

Also, I wasn't born until 1983. So there isn't much I can exactly offer about living through that formative "OT"/77-83 period. Maybe I heard some Star Wars sounds in the womb or something.

I do appreciate vintage material, however; and vintage reflections.

And you might like to know that there is a remastered version of the original trailer now on YouTube. Keep in mind, however, that it is fan remastered, and appears to be based on the Blu-ray transfer:

But, gosh, darn it...

I do love those old trailers.

And yes, Star Wars, when it was just, well... Star Wars. Kind of like Elvis' "Sun Records" period. Raw, pure, innocent, blissful. Otherworldly.

Straudenbecker likes this.
  3. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005
    1980-1983 was my fondest Star Wars years. I also got an Atari 2600 during that time. One of my favorite games was...

I also had tons of toys. The Millennium Falcon, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, AT-AT, several action figures... Good times, good times...

Here's what they looked like (not mine):

[​IMG]

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    ^By today's standards the Atari Star Wars Game is so primitive, but at least it beats Pong any day. :p

5. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

That was actually the "good" Star Wars game on the Atari. My friend had this one, it was pretty horrible:

Standards were pretty low for some Atari games.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    1977-1983: When only the movies were good.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

OMG, I dont even remember much game or for that matter what the heck the object of that game was.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  8. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Before the luxury of actually owning any of the films on VHS to watch for the umpteenth time, this is what we had to make do with:

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The middle-school hype for Return of the Jedi is my fondest memory.

That and playing with R2 and 3PO action figures at a friend's condo in 1978 or 1979.

10. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

The toys were good too!

11. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I'd have been thrilled as a kid to be have been able to have 7 or 8 Star Wars films to own at home, plus several seasons of Clone Wars and Rebels to enjoy, PLUS numerous comics and books. Looking back, it's amazing how popular the toys were between 1977-83, when most kids like me had only ever seen the films just the once when they were on theatrical release. I remember seeing ROTJ back in '83 and seeing the big STAR WARS logo crash onto the screen with the big fanfare and thinking "oops they've put the wrong film on. This is supposed to be Return of the Jedi not Star Wars!"

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Do kids still run around playing cowboys and Indians, or cops and robbers? Summer of 77 we weren't pointing fingers and going bang bang, we were going pew pew.

thejeditraitor and ATMachine like this.
  13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Actually, I do believe it's more of a "ptew, ptew" noise. :-B:p

14. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I had the RoTJ read-along.

thejeditraitor and ATMachine like this.
  15. SithLord28273

SithLord28273 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    The OT will always have a special place in my heart. I remember when I was little they showed them on the USA Network every Thanksgiving and it was called the Star Wars Trilogy. I also remember one day when my mom and found some Star Wars Kenner figures at the local flea market too.

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yup.