1980's Film Music Appreciation!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Barriss_Coffee, Apr 19, 2013.

Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Anyone here a fan of 1980s scifi/fantasy music? (...aside from y'know, Star Wars?)

The 1980s churned out a lot of bizarre/awesome/not-quite-old-enough-to-be-considered-B-rated-but-still-horrendously-cheesy-in-that-cult-phenomenon-kind-of-way films. And one of the reasons they were so unforgettable methinks is the music. There was a certain 1980s-ness to film music of this era. And then it suddenly died as fast as Alderaan blew when the 90s kicked in. It was as if Hollywood proclaimed: "THOU SHALT NOT PASS, SYNTHESIZER!"

Anywho, here are some of my favs....

The Terminator -- awesome film, definitely couldn't imagine a different theme. The sequels couldn't either.

The Neverending Story -- because holy hell was this cinematic fantasy at its best. (It didn't follow the classic book but I will forgive it for that.) If the soundtrack doesn't give you chills I recommend you check yourself out for any recent zombie bites.

David Lynch's WTF-fest otherwise and unfortunately titled "Dune" -- horrible film. Awesome soundtrack. Theme kicks in ~1:50. I can't find a better quality version on youtube sadly.

I could keep listing but I'm not gonna spam the OP. What are some of your favorites?
  2. Kev Snowmane Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    The score from Krull was epic! And let us not forget Conan...
    Barriss_Coffee and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Not quite 1980s, but Alien. There's an awful lot of unsettling asymmetric weirdness to that score, especially in the main titles.

Barriss_Coffee and CT-867-5309 like this.
  4. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4
    I always liked the music in Star Trek II. It really fit what was happening on screen
    Last edited by Captain Tom Coughlin, Apr 22, 2013
  5. StampidHD280pro Force Ghost

star 4
    Vangelis's Bladerunner is pretty dope.
Moderators: Darth_Nub