main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

1980's Film Music Appreciation!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Barriss_Coffee, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Anyone here a fan of 1980s scifi/fantasy music? (...aside from y'know, Star Wars?)

The 1980s churned out a lot of bizarre/awesome/not-quite-old-enough-to-be-considered-B-rated-but-still-horrendously-cheesy-in-that-cult-phenomenon-kind-of-way films. And one of the reasons they were so unforgettable methinks is the music. There was a certain 1980s-ness to film music of this era. And then it suddenly died as fast as Alderaan blew when the 90s kicked in. It was as if Hollywood proclaimed: "THOU SHALT NOT PASS, SYNTHESIZER!"

Anywho, here are some of my favs....

The Terminator -- awesome film, definitely couldn't imagine a different theme. The sequels couldn't either.

The Neverending Story -- because holy hell was this cinematic fantasy at its best. (It didn't follow the classic book but I will forgive it for that.) If the soundtrack doesn't give you chills I recommend you check yourself out for any recent zombie bites.

David Lynch's WTF-fest otherwise and unfortunately titled "Dune" -- horrible film. Awesome soundtrack. Theme kicks in ~1:50. I can't find a better quality version on youtube sadly.

I could keep listing but I'm not gonna spam the OP. What are some of your favorites?

2. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    The score from Krull was epic! And let us not forget Conan...

Barriss_Coffee and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not quite 1980s, but Alien. There's an awful lot of unsettling asymmetric weirdness to that score, especially in the main titles.

4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I always liked the music in Star Trek II. It really fit what was happening on screen

5. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Vangelis's Bladerunner is pretty dope.

6. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    The Back to the Future theme works well for me with being connected to the 80's. And I also loved the song from Neverending Story as well.

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Escape from New York soundtrack, here's an example. (track 23 from the extended version, Romero and the President)

I love how Carpenter builds layers of chromatic patterns on those synths.

This remains one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's not a sci-fi or fantasy film, but Thief (1981) has a great 1980s synth soundtrack I recently discovered, by Tangerine Dream:

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Other than Star Wars, Indiana Jones is my favorite 80s score

That and the main theme are my two favorites from Indy (not just the 80s ones).

10. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    terminator, Conan(epic), Blade Runner, Willow, Road Warrior, The Thing, Heavy Metal
    Darkslayer good call on Indy. Slipped my mind.

11. Pogue

Pogue Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    Yep, still arguably the most epic song ever:

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I have a real soft spot for Harold Faltymeyer soundtracks like Fletch and Beverley Hills Cop.