main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

1995-1998 POTF figures.... what happened?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Agent17, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent17

Agent17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    I've got a fairly large figure collection, mostly from the era of the 1995 figures through the Episode I figures. I used to be really into collecting this stuff. Lately I've slowed down a bit, with not as much money or interest as I used to have.

Anyway, a while ago, I looked at eBay to see what some of the stuff I have is going for, these days. I was shocked to see that almost none of my stuff is worth anything anymore!

Back in the day, an orange-carded Luke Skywalker with a long saber could fetch $30 or so, and now, the same figure sells on eBay for $1-$2.

Even my 1997 Theater Edition Luke Skywalker, one of my most impressive figures, has hit rock bottom.

Why has this happened? And when? I didn't notice until a month or two ago. And I know it's hard to say, but do you people think that this stuff will ever come back?

It's sad to see neo-POTF collecting die like this.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    It seems that the value of what you have these days is determined by what people on ebay will pay for it. That's also driven by interest in what you may have to sell.

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    New movie.

Most of the modern Hasbro line has been driven (at least on ebay) by people marking up the price of figures that people "think" are "rare". You are seeing the exact same thing with the ROTS figures.

Will the prices come back, maybe, not likely but maybe. That will depend on future generations. If SW remains in the public view and there is a demand for POTF figures as opposed to VOTC then you might luck out. If Habro continues to release, re-release, and re-re-release the same basic figures over and over I doubt they'll go up because the current fan or collector could by a better looking figure for cheaper at retail.

4. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    Plus Habro has gone back and made new molds for a lot of them figures. Ask your self which Hoth Han is better PotF of Saga?

whostheBossk likes this.
  5. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    no offense to your collection, but most of the POTF2 figures are no longer desired by collectors. sure, we all bought them. i've got a wall covered with them. they've got GREAT play value, and i continue to buy them for my daughter. but next to OTC, VOTC, and ROTS they just look silly. i think that collectors 1) have all the POTF2 they need and 2) don't care anymore because of all the new figures. besides, when POTF2 came out, everybody's uncle, aunt, mother, grandma, neighbor, etc.. rushed out to get the "new star wars figures." there are far more figures available than there are collectors. supply and demand.

big supply + little demand = no value.

but, look on the bright side! like you said, they're going for $1-2. it's a great time to pick up a bunch for displays, dioramas, and just plain fun! i bought 13 of them over the weekend. heck of a lot cheaper than 13 ROTS figures, and i don't get worried when my daughter chews on them! i even got kyle katarn and arvil cyr..cry..cyrn...uh that rebel pilot. there are tons of them just waiting to be played with.

it seems like i've said this three times today, but the moral of the story is to buy what you like, not what you think will be worth money.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. Agent17

Aug 3, 2004
    Yeah, I've always bought for fun, not for money, but I always hoped that when things started to lose their fun, I could cash them in for some money.

What baffles me is that Stormtroopers and ordinary figures like that aren't the only ones that have lost all their value. Theater Luke is getting around $25! Come on! Theater Luke is a cool dude, and there's a cool story behind it!

All the variations that used to matter... long sabers, half-circles on hands, spellings on cards.... nobody cares anymore.

The new figures are absolutely great, sure (except I still don't get why the ROTS Yoda has a huge blaster cannon... I guess it's for little kids), but the old POTF line has a certain, simple charm to it.
    Too bad not more people appreciate it.

7. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    The sad thing is that figures made from 1995 and on are very volatile. Maybe it is thanks to the Internet and the EBay world that we live in as we can instantaneously see a bid on a figure which in turn effects out bids on other figures. Just think that a Crazy Mike figure can be released in Canada and as ridiculous as that seems lets just say that I put 3 of them up on Ebay which I buy for $200 US each with my own account. The next 10 figures should be worth at least $100 each. 15 years ago that would never happen.

People then wake up and realise that I am a freak and the figures drop to $2 each. Inour fast paced world
    collecting is tough and unless you have carded vintage figures nothing is for sure with your investment.

8. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    One of guys I work with and I were talking about that last night. EBAY has changed collecting big time. Scarcity isn't what it used to be thanks to EBAY. Used to, if you didn't get an exclusive toy or a toy that eventually became very valuable, you were out of luck. Now if you don't see it at the store or you hear about it late, you can just check EBAY. Unfortunately, EBAY bids tend to drive the market in collecting.

9. Agent17

Aug 3, 2004
    eBay... yes, that is sad.

Back when I was heavily into collecting, eBay wasn't nearly as popular as it is today, and I only used it once or twice. The only time I can remember was to buy a Kyle Katarn figure.

Almost everything I have, I got from toy stores or flea markets and the like, and boy, it was fun. The Tomart's Price Guide thing was God.

Good times.... too bad that it's a different scene, now.

10. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    God, I remember in 1995 when the POTF figures were impossible to find.

11. Boba Jr

Boba Jr Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 1998
    Dude, those figures are from the 20th century! What do you expect? ;)

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.