main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 1995 VHS Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediART05, Dec 2, 2015.

1. JediART05

JediART05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2015
    Does anyone own a copy of the original, unrevised editions of the original trilogy? I have it with an introduction to each film with a Q&A of George Lucas with Leonard Maltin. Believe it or not...but I still watch VHS from timd to time. I've got to say...the effects still live up to this day! Especially the Battle of Endor! Yes, the film is grainy and not as crisp, but it is the highest THX revised quality ever and I love it! It just goes to show how story and character development is more important that effects.

2. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I might still have my old LaserDiscs around, but I tend to refer the 2006 DVDs when the urge strikes me.

Vader fan 99 and darklordoftech like this.
  3. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I have the 1995 VHS tapes; I watched them the weekend after the final trailer for The Force Awakens came out. I agree, the effects are still fantastic. It's really jaw-dropping what they were able to come up with and how they were able to convincingly bring the universe to life before the advent of CGI. My only issue going back to the tapes was the awkward cropping they had to do to fit the movie on older TV screens.

I highly recommend tracking down the Despecialized Editions, by the way. They're fantastic reconstructions of the original versions of the films, and the highest quality we'll see them in until they're (hopefully) restored and released on Blu-ray.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have those tapes and I really like the Lucas/Maltin interview. I haven't watched it in awhile, I might have to do that again.

whostheBossk and Dagobahsystem like this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The highest quality version of that is the LaserDisc release, which is present as bonus in the 2006 DVD re-release.

And the saga excels at both.

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    My original VHS tapes were recorded from a SciFi channel marathon of the trilogy, hosted by Carrie Fisher. So I had 90s commercials and Carrie commentary mixed in.

BigAl6ft6, JawaShuffle, jaqen and 7 others like this.
  7. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I have 2 SW VHS from 1977, a copy of ESB from 1980 and a 1995 copy of ROTJ. And surprisingly, the video quality is all really good. The only VHS I've had issues with was the widescreen SW SE...a lot of buzzing during the Battle of Yavin. I think I'd still like to find a 1983 VHS of ROTJ, but I don't really have to.

8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I have the 90's boxed set! Lost the box they came in, along with the VHS box for ESB, but I got 'em!

9. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I have the OOT on late 80s VHS.

10. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    MeBeJedi likes this.
  11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Legitimacy?

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I still have my 1994 VHS tapes. I was blown away when I watched them for the first time as a kid. I watch them sometimes. I can see Han shooting Greedo, and TESB is the best to watch on VHS or Blu-Ray imo. I like both the VHS and Blu-Ray sets.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The trailer for that release was awesome.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  14. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    I bought this set in 1993, specifically because it was in letterbox format.

[​IMG]

15. JediART05

Nov 26, 2015
    Let's hope that now Disney is in control they will released these unedited versions on Blu-ray soon. I know how many people love the unaltered versions and I would totally love to watch them on that format. I still have my VHS/TV conversion television and have no problem watching them on that, but dang, I would love to switch it to Blu-Ray and watch it on high def along with widescreen format. Here's to hopes and dreams! As Disney says, just wish upon a star. :p

16. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I've got vhs tapes from 1995 and enjoy watching them occasionally. It's fun to watch non SE versions, although I like both. Still hoping OOT fans will get a chance to buy it on blu ray, packaged in a nice set, with new special features.

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I largely accept the reasons for the edits - unifying both the prequels and the classic trilogy as one saga moving forward. But indeed, I'd love to have my hands on the unaltered films on Blu-ray one of these days.

18. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I have the tapes. I really love those versions of ANH and ROTJ. ESB I actually prefer to refer the Special Editions. I feel that the Blu Ray version (despite how awful those matte paintings look on Bespin) really enhances my experience with ESB. The non-special edition for that one is still great but I like that Ian McDiarmid is in it.

JediWheelz likes this.
  19. JediART05

Nov 26, 2015
    Lucas should realize that even though the original version was not his vision, people still love them and Star Wars wouldn't be what it is today without them. The fact that he didn't release the original unedited versions on DVD or Blu-ray is basically a way of saying, "Oh, you like this? Well I don't so I'm going to change it and make you like what I want you to see." He should at least have given us an option. That's why I'm never going to get the 2004/6 Blu-reys where he adds Haden Christensen in the end of Jedi. Not necessary.

20. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015

I have those exact tapes individually, including "From SW to Jedi", but not in this nifty collector's set with booklet! Most impressive.

Dagobahsystem and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. JediART05

Nov 26, 2015
    This is the one I own.

[​IMG]

22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Not my photo, but this is the set I had:
    [​IMG]

whostheBossk and JediWheelz like this.
  23. JediART05

Nov 26, 2015
    I have this one as well.

24. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish they released this set on DVD at some point like they did with the 1995 set in 2006 so all that all the versions of the movies would exist in a "modern" format.

Kronin likes this.
  25. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Same here! Kind of. My parents had the trilogy taped on Beta but our Beta player was kind of finicky. The first time I was really able to watch and re watch the trilogy was after taping them on Sci Fi with the Carrie Fisher commentary. There were so many commercials for Super Return of the Jedi and I wanted it SO BAD.

I proceeded to get the THX and SE boxes as gifts.