main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT 1995 VHS Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JediART05, Dec 2, 2015.

1. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I had those VHS for years. Not sure what happened to them. About 4 or so years ago, when I use to run a marginally successful little Ebay business, I actually found that box set at a goodwill in NYC. I think I paid less than 5 bucks or it. Sold it for 30 or so.

I'm part of that generation who largely missed SW during release; wasn't alive for the first one, and still just a toddler during Jedi. I had some toys, know the movies, like everyone else, but wasn't a "fan". That marathon hosted by Carrie Fisher really was what solidified my absolute adoration for Star Wars. Watching them back to back like that was just epic. I think it was the summer after middle school, and remember being shocked at how "old" and different Carrie looked. The chopped off red hair and pant suit really threw me off. Oh the foolishness of youth. She was only in her mid-30s. At that point I didn't even realize she was the wife and mom from one of my favorite childhood movies, The Burbs.

But watching that marathon, which I too taped, and listening to Carrie tell her stories really transformed me into a diehard SW fan. And it's been over 20 years and counting.

DARTH_BELO and whostheBossk like this.
  2. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I have the 1995 versions of TESB and ROTJ, but I think my ANH video if rom an earlier release judging by the cover art. I grew up with the 2004 editions of those movies, and its those editions I have the most nostalgia for. That said It would be nice to have the pre-SE versions of OT on Blu-ray, or any version without Vader's ''Nooooo''. (I still don't own the 2011 release.)

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Vader's "Nooooooo" notwithstanding, I actually quite enjoy the blu-ray versions. The visual quality is amazing, and more even all across! Not to mention there are a few welcome enhancements: CG Yoda in TPM, various lightsaber effect enhancements, wide-panned shot of the door to Jabba's palace...Not to mention the more natural color grading: TPM no longer has a pink hue, hoth is white again-not blue, and AOTC has a bit of a teal hue. (Some don't like it, but IMO it adds a grittiness and more realistic visual tone to a previously overly glossy video-gamey feel.) But ultimately IMO they look great! The surround sound mix of ANH in the blu-ray version is MUCH better too-about as good as I could've imagined that film sounding!

I haven't seen the 1995 vhs versions in ages-like 15 years or more! I'd love to see it again, if only to be reminded of the way it used to look.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I have the following LaserDiscs:

STAR WARS Trilogy Special Edition (5 disc set of the complete original trilogy (Episodes IV, V, VI), partially CAV “standard play” (side 3 of each episode respectively), THX, AC3/Dolby Digital, 1997 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment)
    STAR WARS Episode IV: A New Hope (original version, NOT the special edition, THX, Dolby Surround, CX,2 discs, interview with George Lucas, 121 min., 1995 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment)
    STAR WARS Episode IV: A New Hope (original 1977 version, Pan & Scan, Dolby Surround, CX, 1992 Fox Video)
    STAR WARS Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (original 1980 version, NOT the special edition, THX, Dolby Surround, CX, 2 discs, interview with George Lucas , 124 min., 1995 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment)
    STAR WARS Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (original 1980 version, Pan & Scan, CX, 1984 CBS Fox Video)

STAR WARS Episode VI: Return of the Jedi(original 1983 version, 2 discs, Dolby Surround, CX, 132 min., 1990 CBS/Fox Video)

Anyone interested in those? They are useless to me as I don't own a player anymore. I'd be happy to sell them.

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

You'd probably enjoy my favorite version of the OT - the semi-specialized edition. I'd recommend trying to track it down. It basically just only takes out the annoying SE changes and it has revamped color grading. The color alone makes a huge difference.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    So I have the unaltered 1995 VHS trilogy still in the plastic. I don't have a VHS player but want to get them on disk so I can watch the unaltered version. Does anyone know how I can do this?

7. Nintari

Nintari Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2017
    Well, first off, it's called a VCR. I see a lot of people mistakingly calling it a VHS player but it's really called a VCR. Secondly, unless you have something to actually play them, you can't transfer them. You can buy transfer kits and cables, but the easiest way is to just buy a VCR, hook up the cords from the player to your PC and capture the film. From there, you can edit it or leave it as it is.

I plan to do the same thing as I have the trilogy in brand new condition and want to preserve it.

8. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    The first machines sold as a VCR were the umatic format. This was the sole VCR format for the first five years until VHS joined it. The distinction between the two formats was and remains that the umatic was for professional use and the Video Home System was created for home use.

So not all VCRs are VHS players.

ZodaEX likes this.
  9. Nintari

Nintari Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2017

I honestly did not know that. Thanks. By the time I was watching VHS by myself (mid 80's) they were all called VCRs.

10. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Nintari
    You have an excellent username, good sir. :D

11. JawaDog

Feb 2, 2016
    Haha, yes I remember VCR's, I'm 40 years old. Can you expand on what cords would connect a VCR to a modern PC? Is there an RCA to USB converter cable? What software would you use to play and record?

12. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Firewire was the preferred cable for transferring tapes. Originally it was faster than USB - but also Firewire is a continuous stream of data where USB is bursts of data. For a tape you need the continuous data transfer. You'd need an RCA to Firewire converter box in order for the computer to capture the tape.

13. Nintari

Nintari Jedi Youngling

Aug 31, 2017
    Go to Amazon and search for VHS to digital converters. There's lots of different ones to choose from at various price ranges.

Thank you lol. I've been using it for a decade or more now.

Nibelung likes this.
  14. JawaDog

Feb 2, 2016

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The contents of the 1995 VHS/Laserdisc trilogy were released on DVD in 2006 and packaged into a trilogy box set in 2008.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Interestingly enough, the 1995 set was based on a different master with a different color timing in Europe.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  17. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015

I did not know that. [face_thinking]

18. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    I have this one, from Brazil, have the GL interview before both movies'
    [​IMG]

Encuentro likes this.
  19. Phobosian

Phobosian Jedi Youngling

Sep 14, 2017
    Death Star as halo. Interesting. And Vader (the only bad guy to have center place on those covers) has a red planet halo instead.

Aren't those by John Alvin?

20. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015

Wrong. The 2006 DVDs used an even older 1993 master, not the 1995 THX master as you claim.

21. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    No, correct. The 1993 master used for the Star Wars Trilogy: The Definitive Collection laserdisc set was also used for the 1995 THX release in the US. Only outside the US a different master was used in 1995. For example the French and German THX release both come from the same master, which is obviously different from the US version or earlier releases.

whostheBossk and ZodaEX like this.
  22. Vader fan 99

Vader fan 99 Jedi Knight star 1

May 6, 2019
    The 1995 version were the versions I grew up. The theatrical versions are the real versions of the Original trilogy

23. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I like this guy.

Hernalt and Vader fan 99 like this.
  24. Vader fan 99

Vader fan 99 Jedi Knight star 1

May 6, 2019
    I like you too!

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

christophero30 likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I know this was posted almost two years ago, but I just read it...

It's like you literally just described ME! Right down to my love for The 'Burbs!!!!

I personally didn't see that sci fi channel marathon hosted by Carrie, but it was tapes of TV airings-with late 80's commercials-that got me into SW originally. Though I didn't become the hardcore fan I am now until the the prequels started coming out when I had just started college. Till then my favorite movie-for years-was Jurassic Park.