main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA 1st Annual Thanksgiving Food 'Hyper' Drive!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AboutaSith, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    As mentioned at the meeting on Sep 9th, here's the thread for all the info your our Thanksgiving Food "Hyper"-Drive. :D

We'll be gathering up as much canned goods as we can between now and Thanksgiving to donate to the The Inland Regional Center (IRC). Jangosmom will post more info about what types of food we should aim for and if we can help making baskets etc. We'll gather all the food at the November meeting and take get it to the center.

This is going to be very much appreciated by IRC. Thanks to Jangosmom for all the information on this deserving charity.

2. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    clever name Stuart!

3. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    Hey, everyone. I just had a limited conversation today with the head of Another Way. She was really rushed so she's going to get back to me by the end of the week. They are soooooo
    excited that we are going to help. There's too much info. to post here, so I'll go over it at the meeting on the 30th. The date they are putting the Thanksgiving baskets together is Monday Nov. 20th. They need help picking up groceries (they get the food at cost from Stater Brothers and pick it up that morning, so they need help picking up food,(they love people with trucks, I guess the turkeys are heavy) they get an assembly line going for the baskets and can use help with that and then delivering them to the families that same day).Also, Dec. 18th is the day of the Christmas Party and they would love for us to come. So, see if you can get those dates off work. I have lots of info. to share on the 30th. I can't tell you how excited they were, guys. This will be a really rewarding experience for our group! On behalf of Another Way,thank you in advance for all you're doing to help them!

4. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Excellent info!

I stocked up today with bits and bobs a the supermarket.

5. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    please let us know what is needed as far as food is concerned. only canned food or packaged food as well. thanks:)

6. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    well, here's the thing with the food. All the baskets have to have the same food in them. Stater Brothers gives them food at cost on the morning they make the baskets, so obviously, they would prefere cash, because they can get more for the money and everything is uniform.....BUT, she said if we bring extra food, they will put it along with the baskets for the larger families. So, it can be anything canned or boxed. Since I talked to her origninally they have had to stop keeping food there on the premises for a food bank. Something about regulations about storing food at certain temperatures etc., and they just don't have the space or financial means to comply with regulations to supply food year round. They put in their food baskets, canned corn or green beans, yams, brown sugar,cranberries, all the typical things you think of for Thanksgiving. So, if you want to buy that extra stuff, to provide extras for a family that's great,or if you want to bring stuff to supply them groceries after Thanksgiving, that will get delivered that same day,and that's good too, OR we can just give cash.She said with their discount, they can supply a whole meal for between $18.00 and $22.00 depending on the size of the turkey. As we all know, you can't feed a family of 5 a Thanksgiving meal at that price by paying retail at the store.

7. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    p.s. if anyone wanted to just give money, it is tax deductible. Make it out to IRC and put Another Way Thanksgiving Baskets on the memo line of check.

8. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Bump!

Gather your cans or Money folks!

Some suggestions for canned food:

Veggies
    Potatoes
    Ravioli

I'm going to get a few crates from Smart & Final (The Smaller, Faster, Warehouse Store!)

9. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Bump... again! We want to all keep this event in mind. If you can't come to the making of the baskets, please remember to bring your canned food or cash donation to the meeting on November 4th!

10. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Chime in with what your donating folks so we dont all bring cans of baked beans.

11. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    [image=http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~sedwards/photos/taiwan200508/20050828-2632%20Parrot%20Leofoo%20Village.jpg]

Chime in with what your donating folks so we dont all bring cans of baked beans.

12. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    Please bring donations to the meeting, so I can take them with me on the 20th. Any cash donations I"ll be sending in to them before hand so they will know how much money they have to work with for purchasing food. Thanks!

13. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    There's still time donate to this cause. Let us know if you can spare a few bucks towards it ad we'll arrange to get it from you.

14. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Will anybody besides JM and I be able to come help on Monday?

15. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    No can do, will be at work.

16. SuperB_at_Pooh

SuperB_at_Pooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2006
    sorry...work calls me too

17. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I'm lucky enough to be off the week of Thanksgiving... of course, I don't get paid for it either!!

18. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Does anybody up in my area want to help out on Monday? I'll be driving and have a couple of extra seats. Let me know.

19. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    Well, folks Kari and I are back from helping Another Way. Kari saved the day with her trailer which hauled all the turkeys and hams from Stater Brothers to the facility. We got to hang around the loading docks of Stater Brothers and then loaded our cars and then went back to the regional center where we helped with an assembly line that put together 93 baskets. All this was done in a little over 2 hours. It was impressive. As a group the IEFF donated $150.00 to help Another Way with their Thanksgiving Baskets. A big thank you to everyone that donated money and a big hug of appreciation and gratitude to Kari for making the long trek to help out today!!![:D] =D=

20. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    First off, none of this would have happened if Debbie hadn't set it all up! =D= She did a lot of calling and organizing and I'm thankful for that! [:D] Seriously, I'm so grateful that I can help somebody else out because I feel so blessed with my life!

Thanks for everyone that donated money!

21. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    That's excellent, thanks very much to both of you for all your efforts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.