main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2-CD sets

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Am I the only one who hates these? I'd rather have 70 minutes of music on one CD than 100 on 2; I HATE having to switch CDs halfway through a soundtrack!

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Same here. Then again I have a multi cd player, but still.... there is a lengthy gap of time.

Besides, they COULD make cd's with 120 mins of time on them...

3. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Waiting a few seconds for the disc to switch is a small price to pay for an hours worth of extra music.

And by the way, if they made CD Players that could play 120 minutes of music, wouldn't everyone have to buy new CD Players?

4. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    2-CD sets are great, IMO.

It is absolutely worth changing to a different CD to get 60-70 additional minutes of music.

Anyone who doesn't think so is just lazy.

5. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Well_of_souls, if it's a whole extra hour, I guess it's worth it, but of the few 2-CD sets I own, usually each CD is about 40 mins, which means that overall there's only a few more mins of materiel than would fit on a single disc. I'd rather have that one track cut and have the single disc.

6. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Well, if they could have fit all the music on one CD, then they should have just done that.

But, if they want to release over 2 hours of music like they did with the SW SE's and Superman, then it's totally worth the 2 CD's.

7. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I love my SW SE two-CD sets! I was really disappointed by the TPM CD, in fact. The music is all out of order and isn't nearly as complete as the SEs.

8. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    I would much rather have the *complete* score on two discs (like the excellent SE CDs) instead of *most* (not ALL) on just one disc. It takes what, 15 seconds to change discs without a multi-disc player? Come on. You'd sacrifice the rest of the score just to save yourself a little bit of work?!?!

9. Imrahil2001

Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    See, I hate the "complete score as heard in the movie" style.

Give me a disc like the original releas of the Star Wars soundtrack--that is, music arranged in suites so that each track plays nice thematically. I couldn't give a frog's fat ass if it's in sequential order or not.

Give me a suite; I'm listening to enjoy the music, not relive the movie.

Ims

10. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I prefer two-disc sets. I'd rather have two CDs that have everything than one disc that has fragments. Switching CDs is a small price to pay for having all the material.

11. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Give me a disc like the original releas of the Star Wars soundtrack--that is, music arranged in suites so that each track plays nice thematically. I couldn't give a frog's fat ass if it's in sequential order or not.

Give me a suite; I'm listening to enjoy the music, not relive the movie.

I agree 100%

12. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Well, I don't agree with the idea of having suites instead of the score, but that's quite a different topic matter.

And not all 2 disc sets are less than the total amount of time that can be offered. There are plenty 2 disc sets with over 70 minutes each.

13. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Why not have both? A two CD set so we can "relive the movie" and also a single CD, suite-style arrangement of all the themes so we can "listen to music."

14. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Mcily_nochi,

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Why not have the best of both worlds: For ESB, you buy the Charles Gerhardt Symphonic Suite version which contains the best re-recordings of Star Wars music) and then you also buy the ESB Special Edition soundtrack which contains all of the music recorded for the movie AND the suite versions of Imperial March and Yoda's Theme. You would have to suffer the woes of switching discs or waiting a few seconds for it to automatically happen, but its worth it to get so much more GREAT music.

-MJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.