main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2 observations about Jedi standard of not killing an unarmed person

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by i_dont_know, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bariss

bariss Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2003

Like Jedi_Momma, I make the distinction between 'unarmed' and 'helpless', I don't think Palps was the latter. However, I will entertain that perhaps Mace should have chopped off Palpy's hands to try to put an end to any further use of Force lightning. That argument could be extended to Vader/Anakin in ROTJ as well, though. Besides, wouldn't it have been easier to chop off the Emperor's hands than carry him and drop him down the pit?:p

What's the issue with 'women's' auxiliaries?:)

2. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    hey guys, no offense, but why do you keep talking to him (tubbs)? he's obviously not interested in your opinion.

3. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    i know. but Like Anakin, we must try and help the boy.

4. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    really? but maybe you help him best by not helping him at all. like mace.

we sense much anger in you, tubbs. :D better stay out of the argument.

5. bariss

Sep 13, 2003
    Much anger in part of the response immediately above^ as well, I think.:)

6. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    He's just angry because some People don't like Mace. so he has a Mandate to prove that we are hypocrites. but he can't . hence " womens Auxillary " ;)

7. tubbsdog1911

tubbsdog1911 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    Please.

The original point was that no standard of sparing an unarmed person was articulated by any reliable source in the movies.

If I've had to repeat myself it's because there have been numerous attempts to side track the debate with straw man tactics.

As yet, no one has found any reliable source that says that the Jedi must spare an unarmed enemy and in fact quite the opposite has been shown repeatedly.

So, you can send Duggy, you can send MS, you can wake Johnny Cochrane from the grave. The point is NONE of you have disproven this fundamental point. Particularly Shaitan's ridiculous argument that this standard exists because it's his opinion. [face_laugh]

You guys are a riot.

8. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    [face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

you are the one saying that is ok for a jedi to kill an unarmed person and we are the riot ??

thats B.... E .... A .... utiful

:_|[face_laugh]:_|

9. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    The original point was that no standard of sparing an unarmed person was articulated by any reliable source in the movies

And you can continue to ignore the example that i provided.

If I've had to repeat myself it's because there have been numerous attempts to side track the debate with straw man tactics.

I have addressed every point you made. correct me if i'm wrong.

As yet, no one has found any reliable source that says that the Jedi must spare an unarmed enemy and in fact quite the opposite has been shown repeatedly

i gave you an example. and so what if the movies don't explain it. it is implied, and the fact sooo many people are correcting yopu shows that the inference that the Jedi would choose to arrest first does not get through to you .

Anakin to Palps ; " At last , we can Capture that Monster and end this War "

Mace ( Your Hero ) " We will make capturing Grievous our highest priority ".

Notice they all said CAPTURE? are you saying Mace was wrong?

So, you can send Duggy, you can send MS, you can wake Johnny Cochrane from the grave. The point is NONE of you have disproven this fundamental point. Particularly Shaitan's ridiculous argument that this standard exists because it's his opinion.

well if you won't read . i can't make you. but it's all here for you . if you OPEN YOUR EYES. ;)

10. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    Tubby, my little friend:

So you are saying that the jedi shouldnt bother to seek a diplomatic solution? They shouldnt seek non-violence?

They should just kill any 'enemy' for being their enemy rather than finding a possible peaceful or compassionate solution?

11. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    As yet, no one has found any reliable source that says that the Jedi must spare an unarmed enemy and in fact quite the opposite has been shown repeatedly.

Anakin feels remorse after killing Dooku and tells Palpatine: "but he was an unarmed prisoner". "I shouldn't have done that. Its not the Jedi way."

Later on, Anakin tells Mace that he can't kill Palpatine when he thinks the Chancellor is unarmed. Anakin insists he must stand trial and its not the Jedi way.

I think the movie clearly articulates that killing unarmed prisoners is against the Jedi Code.

12. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    dont waste your words farrellg.he'll say that anakin "is not reliable":oops:

13. tubbsdog1911

May 22, 2002
    Let me explain this slowly:

PAL-PA-TINE WAS THE BAD GUY.

Anakin TOLD Mace that PALPATINE WAS THE BAD GUY.

Anaking KNEW that PALPATINE WAS THE BAD GUY.

Mace saw Palpatine KILL HIS COMRADES.

THEREFORE, MACE HAS TO KILL THE BAD GUY. Not arrest. KILL.

Kinda like when Yoda says, "Destroy the Sith we MUST" Not "Arrest the Sith we must" not "Play Paddy Cake with the Sith we Must" DESTROY THE SITH WE MUST

and oh yeah, even if Anakin came into the room when Palpatine was overpowerd HE KNEW PALPATINE WAS THE BAD GUY.

Finally, NO RELIABLE JEDI EVER ARTICULATED THAT THERE IS A DUTY NOT TO KILL AN UNARMED PERSON, particularly the Star Wars equivalent of HITLER.

:oops:

14. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    anakin is a reliable jedi for the topic on hand.what makes you think that you know more what the jedi way is than a jedi himself no matter who he is ??

15. bariss

Sep 13, 2003

I'll acccept the "thinking" that Palpatine was unarmed because I think the ability to use Force lightning makes one very much armed. I wish George had shown Mace walking in with Force suppressing restraints (like what was used on Obi-Wan in AOTC) or chopping off Palpy's hands but still going in for the kill. EDIT - But then there probably (nothing's ever for certain on these boards!:p) would be unanimity about Mace being wrong.

16. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Let me explaina point that appears to be alluding many of you. I'll explain it slowly:
    OK :rolleyes: teach

PAL-PA-TINE WAS THE BAD GUY.

Check

Anakin TOLD Mace that PALPATINE WAS THE BAD GUY.

check

Anaking KNEW that PALPATINE WAS THE BAD GUY.

Check

Mace saw Palpatine KILL HIS COMRADES.

Check

THEREFORE, MACE HAS TO KILL THE BAD GUY. Not arrest. KILL.

Absolutely wrong. he was seemingly defeated begging for his life. Mace or Anakin never knew he was still Dangerous at that time.

Kinda like when Yoda says, "Destroy the Sith we MUST"

Different situation, at that time Palpatine had had the Jedi wiped out. and there was no unarmed combatant involved.

and oh yeah, even if Anakin came into the room when Palpatine was overpowerd HE KNEW PALPATINE WAS THE BAD GUY.

Check

Finally, NO RELIABLE JEDI EVER ARTICULATED THAT THERE IS A DUTY NOT TO KILL AN UNARMED PERSON, particularly the Star Wars equivalent of HITLER.

can you read?. my last post has two perfect examples . :oops: Doh

17. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    Mace's act against Sidious was darker than what a jedi should do. he saw a chance to end it all and went for it, forgetting the jedi way - or ignoring it at least. Thats the kinda guy Mace is, he's good, but he's morals are slightly blurred. Its why some people are confused by his dark acts.

Anakin was right in saying Mace shouldnt kill Sidious. Lucas confirms this.

And how was Anakin not reliable at the start of ROTS when he killed Dooku? He is talking about himself "I shouldnt have done that". He isnt rationalising it. He is telling himself off for not doing the jedi thing.

18. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    Besides, Mace went to arrest Sidious in the first place and not kill thus showing that killing the enemy is the last option - else he wouldnt have mentioned arrest.

Bye Bye Tubby. Better luck next time old chum. [face_whistling]

EDIT: Or is Mace unreliable as well? 8-}

19. tubbsdog1911

May 22, 2002
    Master Circular Reasoning strikes again:

how was Anakin not reliable at the start of ROTS when he killed Dooku?

I think you just answered your own question. Anakin was not reliable because he couldn't even follow HIS OWN morals; Much less some hypothetical ethic that you seem to believe exists with narry a scintilla of evidence.

20. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    how was Anakin not reliable at the start of ROTS when he killed Dooku?

I think you just answered your own question. Anakin was not reliable because he couldn't even follow HIS OWN morals; Much less some hypothetical ethic that you seem to believe exists with narry a scintilla of evidence.

Yet he says he did the wrong thing...

Now if he was talking about someone else then its possible to say he isnt relaible. But he is talking about himself little tubby. Why would he condemn himself for something if it wasnt against the jedi way? Why say it "its not the Jedi way" if it isnt such a bad thing to do?

And what about Mace - is he unreliable? :rolleyes:

21. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    I notice you just avoid my solid refutes of your sketchy logic eh. Tubbs?

e.

22. tubbsdog1911

May 22, 2002
    At least, now you're relying on the text instead of your questionable opinion. =D=

Second, the fact that he went to arrest doesn't mean that is a Jedi Rule. Similarly, a police officer might ask you politely to put your gun down before reading you your rights. That doesn't mean police ARE REQUIRED TO ASK YOU POLITELY.

[face_shhh]

23. tubbsdog1911

May 22, 2002
    O.k. now that I've dealt with your playmate, what's your lame argument?

24. Master_Shaitan

Dec 31, 2004
    At least, now you're relying on the text instead of your questionable opinion.

Second, the fact that he went to arrest doesn't mean that is a Jedi Rule. Similarly, a police officer might ask you politely to put your gun down before reading you your rights. That doesn't mean police ARE REQUIRED TO ASK YOU POLITELY.

lol

Nice try.

From your point of view, that same officer is just in shooting you dead instead of arresting you and reading your rights - even if he didnt have to shoot you!

8-}

If a Jedi is completely just in not seeking an alternative to killing then Mace would have gone to simply kill Sidious - not arrest him.

Oh Tubby, you are a funny one. [face_monkey]

25. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    so if a policeman kills someone before trying to arrest him that is alright ??

[face_laugh]:_|

thanks for today's laugh tubbs

:_|[face_laugh]:_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.