main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

20 years from now...

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Darth_Santos, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Santos

Darth_Santos Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 9, 2004
    20 years from now, what do you think will be the status of the ROTS toys? In my opinion, I think they will all be very rare, as previous episode figures have proved. So really, if you look at it the way I see it, you really want to buy as many peg-warmers as you can because you might get some good money for them later. What do you think?

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I don't think so.

The toy market now is alot like the comic market was in the 90s (and even today) when Action Comics #1 came out no one was polybagging anything they were *gasp* reading the comics so that now there are only like 5 in the world so obviously its going to command a high price. People saw that and figured every comic would be that way so they started buying 50 of every #1 issue that came out and locking them up in the safe hopping they would mature like a savings bond and they could retire off it. Like Smith said its a supply and demand world. The five people that have a pristine Action Comics #1 can ask a lot more then the 5,000 that have 50 X-men #1.

Back to toys these are mass produced, availible in every 50 state, every country in the world action figures. Add to the fact that most of us are buying 2 of each figure (one to open one to keep) the odds of these having any long term value are slim to none. You can ask for (and get) alot of money for some of the rare ones right now but after the movies gone and even the "rare" ones have been sitting on the shelf you'll be able to buy them for $2.93 on clearance.

In the end its a buyers market. Ebay changed the face of buying and selling collectables. You now have a real time feel of the market. That also means its more fickel. Today "rare" figures might get a high price but in 20 years there may not be the "nostalgia" factor of our generation and these toys so you would have no market. No demand and all of your supply means nothing ;)

3. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    The issue is, are you willing to gamble your money today on the hope that there will be high demand and that you will be one of the few with the supply? Also, it is not just the money today, you are also spending time, energy, and storage space over the next few decades on those hopes.

I am "investing" in what I like for the main reason that I like it and I want it in my collection. Now, if later in life, say after I pass, would I be happy to know that it would have appreciated in value and provide my family with a financial gain? Yes, but it is not my main focus.

4. Theendisnear

Theendisnear Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    in 20 yrs this world will be in bad shape so enjoy them now.

5. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    In 20 years, trust me, I will have every piece I have now and look back at the age of just 53 and say, "I remember when I got that." SW has a major stamp on my life and I can remember things on when i got each piece and the fun memories.

6. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    Ditto, K3p0

When i first started collecting carded, it was an "investment" Well, I know now that this stuff is so mass produced to be worth anything, it is no longer about money. I can look at any one of my 517 carded figures and instantly tell you where i bought it, who i was with at the time and so on. It's more like a record of good times than an investment, and i cant imagine selling my memories like that. Besides when I get my own home, and I can actually display ALL of my stuff, that is just going to rock!

Its not about the $ anymore, and for anyone thinking this is an investment, you should take your ROTS figsback to walmart and get a full refund before they hit clearance and you cant even get that.

onward

7. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    I remember when and where I got each piece of my collection as well. I love my collection. I'm never parting with it. It's not going to rise much in value anyway... at least not the modern stuff. Enjoy it. :)

8. GoG

GoG Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    Well, it can be called lame... But ya know how we have "ages" or "eras" or "labeled decades" I do believe that this is the "COLLECTING ERA" And by that I mean, its not like 15 years ago, where this was all new.. Today, everyone collects, everyone knows, everyone is aware. Now, that doesnt make some pieces not "OHHH I GOT THIS 7 DOLLAR FIGURE AND SELLING IT FOR 50" Im sayin the whle 5000+ dollar original toys. As far as hard core cash, your money amount will only be as big as how many toys you have. Thats my outlook. As far as in 20 yars, life being bad etc.. They said that 50 years ago, and now look back. For as "bad" as its gotten, deat God, Id hate to have to live back in their lack of technology.

9. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Yeah,I wouldn't collect things in hope that they become valuable later. For me,I don't care in the least if something is worth a lot or not. And if I do have something valuable,I think it's cool,but I would never part with it anyway. I collect just for the fun of it,and I open 99% of my figs. The few I do keep carded are just because they look cool that way. So my main point is,just go ahead and open you figs or do whatever you like to do with them,but have fun. The figures won't be worth all that much in 20 years because they are so mass produced. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.