main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2000 VHS Release of the Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by mandalore15, Mar 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Soho

Han Soho Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 1998
    Fave of the Callista books is definitely CotJ. To tell you the truth (and please don't kill me!), I didn't much care for either Darksaber or PoT... but CotJ was wonderful. It's the reason why I think that if Luke and Mara hadn't been married, Callista would have been the next best choice (and people, do you KNOW what a HUGE compliment that is, coming from me? )

--MJEH

2. JediSabre77

JediSabre77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2000
    ooops

[This message has been edited by JediSabre77 (edited 03-04-2000).]

3. JediSabre77

JediSabre77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2000
    I dont usually hang out in the Callista threads because I'm not as devoted to her as all of you are. Although I am a fan of hers and was dissapointed that she and Luke didnt end up together.
    Dont get me wrong I love the Luke and Mara marriage but I also loved the Luke and Callista romance. It was beautiful and sad and Luke really grew in those storys, and writing her out was a waste of a good character, my basic feeling was that they should have killed her to provide a feeling of closeure but they didnt, ah well she could conceivably appear in NJO.
    I was just curious, how did you guys all feel when Luke and Mara got together?

1.Did any of you already know in advance about it?
    2.Were any of you shocked.
    3.Did any of you burn your copies of VotF?
    4.Did you hate Mara because of it?
    5.Or did you hate Luke?
    6.Do any of you like Mara?
    7.Do any of you think that Luke and Mara are a good couple but would prefer to see Luke and Callista together instead?
    8.How would you feel if they killed Callista off in NJO?

I was just curious.

4. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    1. No.
    2. Definitely.
    3. Nah. Didn't have a match.
    4. No.
    5. No.
    6. I do.
    7. Either way, it's fine with me.
    8. It depends. If she dies a noble death--like trying to save Luke or something--then that'll be fine. But her death's a cop-out, then I'll be upset.

And you're right, Callie. Callista REEEEAAAALLLLYYY rules!

5. Fledgling

Fledgling Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2000
    Hello, everyone. Just wanted to invite you all on over to a thread I started yesterday which will hopefully begin discussions on Luke's character in the EU universe. If any of you are Luke fans as well as Callista fans <big grin>, please do stop by and post your opinions on Luke in CotJ (my personal fav), Darksaber, and PoT, or in any other EU appearances.
    Forum3/HTML/003836.htmlwww.theforce.net/forum/Forum3/HTML/003836.html

Personally, I feel that Callista's presence in the EU helped bring Luke back to his ol' spirited self, and saved him from that distant monklike existence that started with the KJA novels. Just my humble opinion.

Hope to see you all stop by for a visit! This is my first thread and I'm really excited about it.

[This message has been edited by Fledgling (edited 03-05-2000).]

6. Fledgling

Fledgling Jedi Youngling

Jan 31, 2000
    To answer your questions JediSabre77:

I didn't know about Luke and Mara's engagement until I read the book. I remember thinking with the first Zahn books that it would be interesting to see Luke and Mara develop a closer relationship, and was actually surprised that it didn't happen sooner. When CotJ came out, I was so taken with the Callista/Luke relationship that Callista did become my favorite for Luke's love. I was surprised to see her depart so soon. When it became clear that she wasn't coming back, at least anytime soon, I dreaded Luke falling back into monkhood, so I wasn't too disappointed to see him and Mara get engaged, but I didn't feel the romantic spark as much. I don't expect Mara to be mushy, but in VotF I just didn't feel that she returned Luke's declaration of love with the same emotional intensity.

Do I hate Luke? I can't even fathom that concept...<g> even if he does get a little uppity sometimes. And Mara is good for keeping his ego in check.

I would still like to see Callista come back in some way, I do feel that the situation is somewhat of a dangling thread. If necessary, her death would be an interesting plot element, but it would have to be handled very carefully, and not just as a way to get rid of her. I felt the same way about her leaving in Darksaber. I understand her reasoning for doing so, and I think it is interesting that she had to leave, but I wasn't very satisfied with the way it happened. I don't think the situation was explored as deeply as it should have been; we barely got to see Luke and Callista as a couple before she was dumped by the EU line.

7. Jedi Callie

Jedi Callie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 14, 1999
    1.Did any of you already know in advance about it?

No... I could see in the "Heir to the Empire" series that they were "going there" but then I thought they had changed their minds and started to move away from it after TaB, and especially after CotJ. In fact, apparently when Hambly was asked to write CotJ, she was specifically told to "write the love of Luke's life" and it wasn't until the novel was published that the powers that did a quick about face and basically said, "Oops! We changed our minds. Could ya just write her out? Thanks..."

2.Were any of you shocked.

Shocked is not even the word

3.Did any of you burn your copies of VotF?

Very tempted to. Just about threw my copy against the wall, and couldn't get through reading it without alternately crying or gagging...

4.Did you hate Mara because of it?

Not because of it... I've felt this way from the very first book, but I'll leave that at that...

5.Or did you hate Luke?

I could never hate Luke... I just went into denial and figured: that ain't Luke

6.Do any of you like Mara?

Do I like her? No. Do others do? Yes.

7.Do any of you think that Luke and Mara are a good couple but would prefer to see Luke and Callista together instead?

Prefer to see Luke and Callista period.

8.How would you feel if they killed Callista off in NJO?

If they gave her an honorable death and maybe had her die in Luke's arms, I would actually be pretty happy. It would certainly give the closure to their relationship that I felt was missing (the reason I've never been able to accept Luke with another woman)... I'd prefer it if she lived and got to be in Luke's life as a close ally and friend ("I think... I feel we will be in each other's lives for a long time..."), but if that can't be and other authors are just going to ruin her because they just don't understand her, then I'd rather they just kill her off honorably, and give her a hero's death...

Fledgling: thanks for the tip on the Luke thread . Luke is my all-time favorite character and as a result I've been particularly focused on his portrayals in the books. I have to admit that with a few exceptions, the Luke in the books just isn't the Luke I fell in love with in the movies, and it saddens me. Few (Hambly and Tyers are the only ones I can think of) have ever been really to capture his "essence" and make him into so much more than a walking zombie who lectures about the Force and not feeling any passion. How anathema to the "true" Luke!!! Yes, people grow and mature, but they do not morph into completely different human beings--at least not that much. Surely some part of Luke's boyish curiosity about life and his thirst for adventure and his passion would have carried over into his adult years. Not seeing those things makes the Luke in the books seem like a stranger to me . I personally think he can be a powerful and wise Jedi without losing all the passion, emotion, and humor that he once had (CotJ is a good example), but it seems most of the authors don't see it that way, or at least can't strike the balance... It's sad for me to see that happen to my favorite character...

8. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Callie: you're welcome on the name . Although, it's actually "Cailin" (like "Caitlin" only without the "t"). I found it in an Irish Fairy Tale book that I used to read a lot when I was little. The name itself means "girl" and it's pronounced "Coleen" but I like to pronounce it as "KAY-lin."

9. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Ooh ooh ooh!!! I just came back from the Official Barbara Hambly Page ( http://www.barbarahambly.com) and she talked about Callie in her Weekly Update . Someone asked her whom she'd cast if she had to cast Callie, and she said Uma Thurman. Hmm, interesting! Ok, now I'm confused, because I always thought that Callie was supposed to have dark hair? Uma's most definitely blond... Maybe Uma would be what Callie looked like when she first stepped into Cray's body?

Here is what she said:

Someone asked about Callista from my two Star Wars novels, a character of whom I'm extremely fond. Actually, when the illustrator for the cover of CHILDREN OF THE JEDI asked me what Callista looked like, I said, "If I had to cast her, I'd cast Uma Thurman." Except maybe with features a little sharper and a little stronger. I'm not sure she'll be back in any other Star Wars books written by others than myself, though I'd certainly enjoy writing another and bringing her in. At the moment I'm not scheduled for one.

Oh wow, I hope someone gets her to write another SW book (although I can already hear the groaning by my mere suggestion). Even simply a short story would suffice!!

10. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Poorly developed, horrible relationship theme, stupid character with really no point to her, glad she's gone.

11. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    I agree, but won't say anything more.

12. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    By the way, Callista fans, do you like Callista in only Children of the Jedi? Or all three? Man, if I only liked a character in one book, I wouldn't be a fan, but that's just me.

13. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Insane Anakin: I loved her in all the Hambly-authored stuff: Children of the Jedi, Planet of Twilight, and "Murder in Slushtime."

True, she may have only appeared in three novels and a short story, but she made such an impression on me that I'm proud to call her my favorite book character of all time, and that includes non-SW books (I make a distinction between the movie characters and book characters; my favorite SW characters are and always will be from the movies: Luke, Leia, and Padmé).

In fiction, just as in life, sometimes a person has such a presence and an impact that no matter how short the time you spend with them, you remember them for the rest of your life. Just ask any fan of J.D. Salinger's Holden Caulfield who appeared in only one book, Catcher in the Rye, and yet ranks as one of the most memorable characters in all of literature. Ditto for Anna Karenina, Ebeneezer Scrooge, Captain Ahab--I could go on and on...

Just think of all the people who have made a difference in your life who may not necessarily have been in your life for a long period of time: childhood friends, teachers, professors... Every person we encounter has the potential to touch us and leave their permanent mark in our lives. Yes, the same is true even of book characters .

[This message has been edited by Jedi Callie (edited 03-05-2000).]

14. Insane Anakin

Nov 12, 1999
    Murder in Slushtime? That makes me laugh.

15. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999

Murder in Slushtime? That makes me laugh

Well I'm glad to have provided some amusement then . There isn't enough joy and laughter in this world, and my mission is to spread as much of it as I can LOL (sarcasm duly noted)

16. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Sorry to come into the conversation late. I've been busy (read: grounded). To answer those questions:

1. I could tell by that part in SotP where Faughn says that made a good team. That made it clear.
    2. Only in that I was right.
    3. Nah, it wasn't my copy ;-)
    4. Not really, she was my first SW idol.
    5. A little, since he was giving up on Callie coming back
    6. Yes. She was my idol before I read about Callista.
    7. Yes. I'd prefer Luke be with Callista, but Mara's the next best thing.
    8. If they killed her off honorably, not some miserable weakling. Preferably in Luke's arms...(Sound familiar, Jedi Callie?)

I was chatting with a friend of mine the other night, and I was relating a personal experience that made me realize how close this experience was to Callie's search for the Force. It's kinda cool-I guess you could say Callie is my SW patron saint. Maybe that's why I like her so much. I don't know.
    Well, I'm glad that people are so willing to talk about her that they'll erect thread after bloody thread to do it. Keep it up!

Oh, yeah, and...
    CALLISTA RULES!!! ;P

17. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    I was chatting with a friend of mine the other night, and I was relating a personal experience that made me realize how close this experience was to Callie's search for the Force

Same here, Cara. I really could relate to the feeling of having lost a part of yourself that you feel defines you and without which you never thought you could be whole... I think that's why I embraced her story right away and made her my heroine! Watching her struggle to put her life back together and go on with life after that loss is inspiring

18. Callista Sunrider

Callista Sunrider Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 1999
    JediSabre77:
    1.At the begining of VotF when Han mention Mara and Luke acted weird I got a horibly bad feeling.
    2.I wasn't shocked, I just felt horid and wanted to sue Timothy Zahn!
    3.It was the library's, other wise, that book would have been bye bye!
    4.I already didn't like Mara!
    5.I didn't hate Luke, I hated Timothy Zahn!
    6.I don't like her!
    7.I think they make a rotten pair! The only one for Luke is Callista!!!
    8.I would absalutaly hate it!!!
    By the way, I'm sorry if I made any Mara or Timothy Zahn fans feel bad, but that's what I think!

Callie: Your gunna have a baby!!!! Oh boy! I mean Oh girl!!! I absalutally loooooooooove kids!!! I going to start volenteer work at a day care this week!! I loooove kids, especally babies!!! I'm going to name one of my kids Callista you know!!!
    Oh sorry, I think I got caried away.

Jedi Callie: Can you name the last girl Jena, pleeeeeeeasssssse! I absalutaly love that name, it means 'little bird'and I've always have thought of that name as a perfect one for Luke's and Callista's kid! Or maybe they could have a fouth one, and she would be the cutest most sweetest thing ever!
    Or maybe I could write some thing following your's and have her born in that or some thing!
    Opps! Sorry to bore every one under the sun!

19. Callista Sunrider

Jun 17, 1999
    I forgot three things:
    I like all three of the books, but my fav. is CotJ!
    Insane Anakin: If you really don't like Callista, then why do you keep coming to these threads?
    And last, but deffenatly not any where near least: CALLISTA REALLY RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Callista Sunrider

Jun 17, 1999
    I thought of one other thing:
    Maybe the reason the other thread closed down is because it was getting too big and friendly. LOL! Nothing can get TOO friendly, the more friendly the merrier!!!!
    Keep up the good work!!!
    CALLISTA AND LUKE RULE!!!!!!!!! (if you know what I mean)

21. Callista Sunrider

Jun 17, 1999
    One more thing for Cara: Did you ever finnish the story you had in the fan fic, I never saw the how it ended.

22. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Callista S: sorry, hon, I've already got pretty extensive storylines worked out that are set in the future, so I can't really add in a fourth child now!

But I would definitely encourage you to write your own fanfic! It's indescribably gratifying

23. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999
    Ok, I came across another song .

This one's from the musical Miss Saigon, which is about an American GI who falls in love with a young Vietnamese woman. They get married, but during the fall of Saigon, they get separated. After years of trying to find her, he finally gives up and marries someone else (gee, sound familiar?), though all the while he still carries this great love for the woman he lost.

This particular song is sung by the two women. Kim, Chris' first wife, is unaware he has married another and is holding out hope that he'll come back for her just as he promised. Ellen, his new wife, is haunted by the knowledge that someone else shares her husband's heart...

The words won't all fit for Luke and Callie (and Luke's wife), but it does make for an interesting (and gut-wrenching) parallel.

Check it out:

"I still believe"

Verse (Kim):
    Last night I watched him sleeping
    My body pressed to him
    And then he started speaking
    The name I heard him speak
    was Kim
    Yes I know that this was years ago
    But when moonlight fills my room I know
    you are here
    still

Chorus (Kim):
    I still
    I still believe
    You will return
    I know
    you will
    My heart against all odds
    holds still
    Yes, still
    I still believe
    I know as long
    as I can keep believing
    I'll live
    I'll live
    Love can not die
    you will return
    you will return
    and I alone know why

Verse (Ellen):
    Last night I watched you sleeping
    Once more the nightmare came
    I heard you cry out something
    a word that sounded like...
    a name...
    And it hurts me more than I can bear
    knowing part of you I'll never share
    never know...

Chorus (Ellen):
    I still
    I still believe
    the time will come
    when nothing keeps us apart
    My heart against all odds
    holds still...

Bridge (Ellen):
    It's all over, I'm here
    there is nothing to fear
    Chris, what's haunting you?
    Won't you let me inside
    what you so want to hide
    I need you too

Chorus (both):
    Oh still
    I still believe
    I know as long
    as I can keep believing
    I'll live
    I'll live
    you will return
    and I know why
    I'm yours (for life)
    until we die...

24. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Callista WAS so STUPID!!!
    (Note that "was" is capitalized)
    She is gone forever.
    She was poorly written. The whole idea of her creation was stupid. Her inhabiting the body of another Jedi woman was equally stupid.
    The only thing that I ever thought was even funny about her was when she turned to the DARK SIDE! And even THEN she couldn't beat that stupid Admiral.
    And then, for all of you who can only remember things that leave them warm and fuzzy: CALLISTA RAN OUT ON LUKE!!!!!
    Do you expect him to just sit around and wait for a loser like that? No WAY!
    Mara is ten times the woman that Callista was. She is smarter and, to give one of the best SW authors credit, A WELL-DEVELOPED AND WELL WRITTEN CHARACTER.

So long, Callista. May you burn in the fires of the DARK SIDE forever.

[This message has been edited by JediStryker (edited 03-06-2000).]

25. Jedi Callie

Jun 14, 1999

If they killed her off honorably, not some miserable weakling. Preferably in Luke's arms...(Sound familiar, Jedi Callie?)

You said it, Cara! An honorable end to a rare honorable character... Of course, I'd rather not have to see her life come to an end at all (hint, hint to all the authors! *hehe*). But you and I and other fellow fanfic writers can carry on her legacy should the pro authors decide to leave her languishing in the background (what a shame...).

Btw, this is off-topic, so please forgive me, but for any fellow Hambly fans (I know Cara is one), Callie's not the only strong-willed female character she's got in her arsenal ! There's Starhawk, who appears in her "Sun-Wolf and Starhawk" series, there's Kyra who appears in Stranger at the Wedding (which I'm reading right now and highly recommend ), and Jenny, who appears in her "Winterlands" series. I just love how she writes female characters that are strong and independent and intelligent, and yet have heart and warmth and humor . Callie's a perfect example!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.