main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2000 VHS Release of the Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by mandalore15, Mar 3, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Triad

Darth Triad Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 1999
    Yeah, Lelila, I can see that now! That would be hilarious, especially if Mara and Callista gets into a chick fight because of that!

2. Empress Palpatine

Empress Palpatine Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 1999
    If that ever happened to ME, my Mom and Dad would kill me!

I know how you feel, Lelila Jade, believe me!

3. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    Well, this debate seems to be going fairly well. Let's just hope it doesn't erupt into a flame war. And we're past the 100-post mark! Keep it up, guys!

BTW, does anyone here have the soundtrack for "Shadows of the Empire"? Just curious...

CALLISTA RULES!!!

[This message has been edited by Jedi15 (edited 03-11-2000).]

4. Darth Triad

Darth Triad Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 1999
    Hmmmm...I wonder...DID Luke and Callie have a kid???

[This message has been edited by Darth Triad (edited 03-11-2000).]

5. Callista Sunrider

Callista Sunrider Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 1999
    It is totally wrong to have kids before your married, even if you're deeply in love. I would rather have Luke marry Mara then have Callista and Luke have sex before marriage! And if you can't wait till you're married to have sex then I think you don't love the person as strong as you think. There's this song that goes: Love is patient, love is willing to wait a long, long, long, long time.....

[This message has been edited by Callista Sunrider (edited 03-13-2000).]

6. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    Wow...I didn't know I'd cause such a CONTROVERSY LOL (I guess trouble follows me, eh Callie?) Let's just say that illegitimate children may not be "right" but as we all know (and I know this especially because I AM one) they DO happen. But I'd rather see Luke have children with a woman he loves than with a wife of convienience that barely tolerates him...and I blame that all on ZAHN!

Anyway, to address THAT issue: Milan Hael I agree..I did not like "Children of the Jedi" much myself basically because of the pacing of the story...the sluggishness of it kept making me fall asleep. HOWEVER, it was NOT the FIRST Star Wars Expanded Universe Novel that I had trouble getting through and swallowing as Star Wars. Letme just say. I hated the Zahn Trilogy and I despise the book I'm ATTEMPTING to read of his now..."Spectre of the Past"! I've been on that book since October! BO-RING!

"Planet of Twilight" was a little more tolerable in style but the droch sub-plot was "filler." It is obvious that there is a "formula" that these Star Wars authors must follow. 1) there MUST be a Luke plot 2) there MUST be a Leia/Han plot 3) there CAN/SHOULD be a Lando, Chewie, the droids or the solo children subplot 4) there MUST be an IMPERIAL plot/subplot or some other threat to the universe. So I'm afraid that we must wade through the stuff we don't like to get to the parts that we are interested in.

7. Et Cetera...

Et Cetera... Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2000
    Callista Sunrider:

It is totally wrong to have kids before your married, even if your deeply in love.

I don't see how that can be considered wrong. That happened to my own parents, and they love each other deeply. Who knows? Maybe Anakin and Amidala will have Luke and Leia before they are married in Episodes II and III. But does that mean they don't love each other any less? I doubt that.

I would rather have Luke marry Mara then have Callista and Luke have sex before marriage!

I have to disagree with you on this. I was furious to see Mara--who had once been Palpatine's deadliest assassin, had been responsible for the deaths of many people, and even tried to kill Luke--marry Luke in "Vision of the Future". It just didn't feel right. I sincerely doubt Mara really loves him; she probably only married him because he insisted.

And if you can't wait till you're married to have sex then I think you don't love the person as strong as you think.

You're making a pretty big assumption there. Do you have any proof to back this up?

JediMistress:

But I'd rather see Luke have children with a woman he loves than with a wife of convienence that barely tolerates him...and I blame that all on ZAHN!

Amen to that! I believe Mara is one of the most overrated EU characters ever! Why spend an entire trilogy trying to kill Luke, then decide to marry him a few years later? I don't necessarily HATE Mara, but she's far from my favorite character; even worse, she grew more intolerable as I continued reading the EU series. And both Callista and Gaeriel Captison are vastly superior characters to Mara.

I hated the Zahn Trilogy and I despise the book I'm ATTEMPTING to read of his now..."Spectre of the Past"! I've been on that book since October! BO-RING!

*GASP* Finally, someone who hates the books as much as I do. JediMistress, do yourself a favor and throw that book away. You're not missing anything important, and the ONLY reason to read it is to keep up with the series.

8. Et Cetera...

Et Cetera... Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2000
    BTW, does anyone here have the soundtrack for "Shadows of the Empire"?

I do, Jedi15, and I love it. It was surprisingly excellent, although John Williams didn't compose it like he did for the movies. I especially liked Tracks 2, 3, 8, and 10. An excellent score, not quite as good as the soundtrack for TPM, but still worth listening to.

9. Empress Palpatine

Dec 31, 1999
    And if you can't wait till you're married to have sex then I think you don't love the person as strong as you think.

I'll have to agree with you on this, Callista Sunrider. But suppose--just suppose--that Callista and Luke DID have sex before she left him in Darksaber? What if she meets him in one of the future books and tells him that she had had a child shortly thereafter--and Luke was the father? What would you say then?

[This message has been edited by Empress Palpatine (edited 03-11-2000).]

10. Jedi15

Nov 7, 1999
    Luke would probably die of a heart attack if that ever happened!

And think of what Mara would do to him...

11. Lelila Jade

Lelila Jade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2000
  12. Darth London Boy

Darth London Boy Jedi Youngling

Jan 2, 2000
    But suppose--just suppose--that Callista and Luke DID have sex before she left him in Darksaber?

Then I would finally know that he's not gay!

13. Eagle888

Eagle888 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2000
    Does anyone think that all the EU books suck except for Hambly's books?

14. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    Eagle888 - Acutally I liked "I, Jedi," Truce at Bakura" and even "The Courtship of Princess Leia." The first and last of that list had their "flaws" but they were still good reads.

15. JediMistress

Jun 18, 1999
    Jedi Callie...where was that passage again? The one that IMPLIED, pretty steamily I might add, that Callista and Luke actually did share carnal knowledge of each other?

16. Eagle888

Jan 30, 2000
    Well, maybe "suck" is too harsh a word, but the EU series as a whole is really nothing special. They're mostly just rehashes of the movies (especially Zahn's books). When I started to read the Callista Trilogy, I wasn't expecting much, since I had heard several other books prior to them.

Well, how wrong I was. These books were GREAT! I go back and forth in my mind whether Planet of Twilight or Children of the Jedi is the best of the Trilogy. I'd probably have to give Children of the Jedi the edge, just for the originality and the scenes with Luke and Callista pack a pretty emotional punch. But by even forcing me into a comparison, PoT shows the kind of staying power it has (Just to put my biases right on the table, I thought Darksaber was not only the weakest of the Trilogy, but one of the worst books ever written--it shares a place on the EU scrap heap alongside such stinkers as The Crystal Star and Black Fleet Crisis).

And what makes Planet of Twilight and Children of the Jedi so great IS the relationship between Callista and Luke. Without that relationship at the center, then these books would have just been a rehash of the movies. It otherwise has all the same elements from ANH, TESB, ROTJ, and TPM. But the presence of Callista, and her interaction with Luke throughout, just changes the entire complexion of the story. Quite touching, really. And I was really disappointed that they didn't get together. But I guess that's just the way the universe works.

Unlike many others, I also enjoyed the enemies, particularly Beldorion, Seti Ashgad, and Dzym. Though certainly not as memorable as Darth Vader, the Emperor, or even Darth Maul, they are galaxies better than Daala in Darksaber.

And as for Callista and Luke having children before getting married, I don't see how that means they don't love each any less. Callista and Luke loved each other immensely; having children wouldn't have changed that. I really hope we get to see her in the NJO series, but that doesn't look too hopeful.

All in all, these two books, IMHO, are the only EU books worth reading. Great stories with a great heroine.

And, yes, Callista certainly rules!

17. Empress Palpatine

Dec 31, 1999
    Good post, Eagle888. I agree with almost everything you said. But I think some of the other EU books are just as good as Hambly's stories. Here's my list of favorites:

1. Children of the Jedi
    2. Planet of Twilight
    3. The New Rebellion
    4. The Courtship of Princess Leia
    5. The Crystal Star (I don't know why so many people despise this book; I loved it, despite its hokey moments)

Callie, I wish you luck on your upcoming baby (is Calin its name, BTW?). Oh, and don't worry about Insane Anakin. He justs wants to make everyone else as miserable as he is. It's best just to ignore him.

[This message has been edited by Empress Palpatine (edited 03-11-2000).]

18. Jedi15

Nov 7, 1999
    What're their names?

19. Lelila Jade

Jan 30, 2000
    Hmmm...what a mess...

What this thread needs is an impartial journalist to review the situation. Someone neutral, unbiased, despite the emotional content of this bickering...

Me.

Whatever my personal sympathies, I can analyze this problem with the distance and talent of a great journalist!

So...

Jumping into a chair with a mic in hand...

Hello, I'm Lelila Jade, from CBN International!

As you all know, the Callista Fans!!! (Again!!!) thread has been continuously plagued by Callie Bashers who try to disturb the peace, plunging all the Callie Worshippers in despair...

Right now, some reactions to the war...JediStryker, what is your feelings on the Callista matter?

JediStryker: Well, first of all, Callista...

Lelila Jade: Thank you so much for your imput! And now, I turn to a very determined young lady...Callista Sunrider, you are the leader of the Callista Cult...How do you feel about the Callie Bashers trespassing in your thread and spoiling everyone's fun?

Callista Sunrider: (angry look on her face) It is a hard time for us all, but I'm not going to surrender! If these Bashers want a fight to the death, then they're gonna get it! We will never give up! We'll fight for what we believe, despite the overwhelming odds, fight for Callista, for us, for the thread, for the forum...and, most of all, for the Force. O Goddess Callista! If you can hear our prayers! We love you! Don't give up on us! And don't forget, premarital sex is a no-no!

Lelila Jade: Thanks so much for this very powerful speech, young Sunrider. And now, for another light on this subject, I will give the mic to a very ardent supporter of the Basher side, Insane Anakin...so, young Anakin, tell us what you think of this war.

Insane Anakin: First, let's go over the...

Lelila Jade: I'm so glad to hear it! Try to stay with us this time! Now, Jedi Callie, you are one of the most respected Callista followers of the JC...your impressions?

Jedi Callie: The Bashers' repeated attacks on this thread and previous threads before it is a severe blow to us all, but we won't stop fighting. The truth shall be heard, against all odds, and the Callie Worshippers are strong enough to survive this war...But I'm not convinced the Bashers have beaten us yet. The power of the dark side is strong, but so is Callista's spirit that lives within us all, and the return of the legendary Callie follower JediMistress should, I think, help us win this war...At least I hope!

Lelila Jade: That's the spirit, girl! Now, because it is important, as I said, to hear every side of the story, I hope I'll convince MaraJadee to express her opinions on the matter...MaraJadee, you have not hesitated to express your thoughts on Callista in this thread...Is there something you'd want to share with us?

MaraJadee: Well, as you know, I am a 100% Mara lover, and I believe that...

Lelila Jade: Excellent! (Turning to the public) As you see, this war is far from over, and I hope all these reactions I've gotten from very diverse people will have helped to shed some light on this very complex subject...What? I'm sorry, Insane Anakin, you were saying...You believe you've been unfairly treated? I'm very sorry, of course, if you would want to add something, the mic is yours...

Insane Anakin: I don't believe this! This is not an impartial report at all! We haven't been able to...

Lelila Jade: Insane Anakin? Insane Anakin? I'm so sorry; I think we are having a little transmission problem, and the public can't hear you...No, it's no use to keep talking...Oh, well; anyway, our show is ending now...Thanks for listening, and see you soon for another update on CBN International! And remember, kids, Callista rules!!!

20. Empress Palpatine

Dec 31, 1999
    LOL!

Gosh, Lelila Jade, you'd think you'd been watching a few media reports too many...

21. Lelila Jade

Jan 30, 2000
  22. Empress Palpatine

Dec 31, 1999
  23. Eagle888

Jan 30, 2000
    Hee hee.....

24. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4