main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2001: A Space Odyssey

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by CoolUsernameHere, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolUsernameHere

CoolUsernameHere Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2011
    I'm about 2/3 of the way through Arthur C. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey. I love it so far. I can't wait to see how the final act is executed. I've heard it's a bit more... comprehensible than the film.

Has anyone else read it? Which did you prefer, the novel or the film?
    Personally, I never read much for pleasure until I got to college, so this is really the first sci-fi novel I've read (besides 1984 and Slaughter-house Five, which I read for classes in high school). This book makes me eager to read other sci-fi classics.

2. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    The book and the film are two different animals, as is usually the case. Both can be enjoyed and appreciated for what they are. Each compliments the other. Sort of like the dark side and the light side. :p

If you're getting into sci-fi classics, definitely try Isaac Asimov's Robot and Foundation novels. Those are amazing, and no sci-fi enthusiast's library is complete without them.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am glad I was exposed to this in the order of film and then book. The symbology, though subject to interpretation, is incredible.

4. Aiwendil42

Aiwendil42 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    I enjoyed the book 2001, but this is actually one of the rare cases where I prefer the film to the book. But if you enjoyed 2001, I'd recommend reading the first sequel, 2010: Odyssey Two, which I thought was quite good. The two other sequels, unfortunately, are not of comparable quality. For what it's worth, my favorite Arthur C. Clarke novels are Childhood's End and The City and the Stars, which you might want to check out.

I've also got to second Qui-Gon_Reborn's recommendation of Asimov's Robot and Foundation series.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I read the book before seeing the film and I was glad I did. It filled in the blanks quite well.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    There's better Clarke out there in my opinion, as noted above, but it's a great read.

Overall I prefer the film but I"m a huge Kubrick fan.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I'd also recommend watching the film. You'd have to be either a genius or insane to want to try to sequel 2001, but Peter Hyams does a good job adapting 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.