main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2001 Fanfiction Awards Ceremony

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Gandalf the Grey, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [Enters thread wearing a white tuxedo and top hat and a dazzling smile]

Welcome to the 2001 JC Fanfiction awards show! I?ll be your host. The votes are in, and have been tallied up by both Padawan Di-Lee and myself. The awards are under lock and key, guarded by Gandalf Postmangler (a mjighty vjiking warrior). Dozens of people voted for over one hundred different fics.

Some rules pertaining to voting were ignored, some confusion over a certain stories length ensued and there was much nail bitting. But now, without further ado, let the Awards Show begin!

The first category is for Best Alternate Universe fanfic.
    The top three vote getters in this catagory were (In alphabetical order):
    By the Grace of Lady Vader by JediGaladriel, ami-padme and Alderaan21
    Dark Mirror by Gandolf the Grey
    Galaxy's Reflection by Padawan Lunetta

In twenty minutes the winner will be announced, and receive the nights first award! Feel free to post an excerpt, either before the winner is announced or later on in the thread.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Aaah! My 4:00 got cancelled! I can get in on this.

::Slinks into seat next to SOTTOT collaborators, dressed in black floor-length velvet, silver necklace and dangly earrings. Sips wassail.::

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    ::enters the thread wearing long dark green velvet dress with bare shoulders::

Great, the Awards are here! :D Can't wait for the winners... ;) :)

::sits down and waits::

4. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    ::AQ waltzes in wearing a spagetti-strap midnight blue floor-length dress, a black-lace shaw, silver earings, a silver crescent moon pendent, and a silver bracelet::

Good luck to all contestants! And away we go!

::AQ sits down with Mar and Ish as they trade comments, waiting for the winners to be announced::

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Leans over.:: So, when do you think we find out about the...you know. Our award? ::Ducks flying lanvarok from a well-meaning fan.

Refrains from screaming "GO LADY VADER!" but waves a little red flag anyway.::

6. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    I guess I'll post my excerpt.

I love Mara Jade, and I hate torture in fics, but this scene early in Dark Mirror should satisfy both torture lovers and Mara haters... :eek:

Empress Mara Jade Skywalker smiled as her saber spun. She knew she was close to victory. Her double was poorly trained in comparison to herself, and using the weaker side of the Force on top of that. As she had guessed, her duplicate was no match for herself.

She had shadowed the woman?s shuttle with the Hekate, using the cloaking device. It had been in range, and with a simple word she could have eliminated her. But that would be far too easy. She had rarely had her skills challenged in the slightest, and she wanted an opportunity to stretch relatively unused muscles.

The Hekate had docked with the Portal, and she had quickly made her way to her doppelgangers obvious destination. It would have been where the Empress herself would have gone. She had entered seconds before the other woman, observed her quietly from the shadows, taking in her measure. The Empress knew she was better than the Jedi Knight.

And now the duel was reaching its end. The Empress twirled her blade around the other woman?s, and knocked it far out of position, too far out of position for her opponent to recover in time. With delicious satisfaction the Empress aimed a low slash cut across the other Mara?s knee, nearly severing the leg, and then with the return cut partially disemboweled her. The Empress raised her free hand, and threw the weak lightsider against the generator.

She stalked forwards, and pausing only to scoop up the other woman?s lightsaber and clip it to her own belt. As she bent down to retrieve the sky-blue blade, she knew that the victory was hers.

She raised her head, and took a step forward to finish her task. And stopped. ?Not? a step? more? the other woman bit out, blood on her lips, as she pushed herself into a sitting position, leaning heavily against the generator. In her hand was a thermal detonator. Her eyes burned fiercely, and the Empress cursed herself for not simply destroying the shuttle.

The Empress looked, and couldn?t see the controls or deadmans switch on it. Which meant the other woman?s fingers were on them. If her fingers left the deadmans switch, they, and the entire station, were doomed. She drew a deep breath. She was sensing an enormous amount of danger, but there was something odd about it. She tried to probe the other woman?s mind, but got only static and feedback and the woman?s shields. Wincing, she withdrew her probe.

?I don?t think you?re strong enough to let go,? she tried. If she could distract or annoy the woman, maybe she could get a Force grip on the device that would keep the deadmans switch down, and pull it away.

No such luck. ?Maybe not now,? the other Mara managed. ?But? when I fall unconscious, my grip will loosen. And then? we?re all reduced to? our component atoms.? She seemed to take a grim pride in it, having found a way to win, despite being outmatched. Her mind was set on this one final bleak task, and there would be no swaying it.

The Empress tried one last time, taking a step forward. The other woman raised the detonator warningly, and the Empress knew defeat. And then fear. She turned and ran, pulling out a commlink as she went. ?Hekate, leave immediately! Do not wait for me! Get out of here, as far as you can!? The Hekate was docked with the Portal. If the detonator went off now, it would destroy the ship- and Luke and Mara?s cloned bodies onboard.

Empress Jade ran for the nearest shuttle bay, using the Force to speed herself up, wondering if she would have to make use of the clones for the first time at any second.

Mara breathed a painful sigh of relief when the other woman fled the room. She looked down at the timer on the detonator. Two minutes and twenty seconds left. Until the end. She didn?t kid herself; she had seen countless wounds before, and knew that it was the end for her. When she had taken the cuts, she had dampened her link with Luke

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Applauds enthusiastically. Leans over to her Padawan, who theoretically, is already at the SOTTOT table. :: Oh, that was well-done. Very well-thought-out action sequences. Take note. :)

8. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    ::AQ quickly dabs her tears away, trying not to ruin her make-up::

Gandolf, that was extremely well-done! A fitting in for my favorite EU character! She died a warrior, and reached out to the person who meant the most to her! ::AQ chokes back a sob::

Again, very well-written!

AQ

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    AQ, do you think if we win, we have to make speeches? ::Glances at notecards, rips them up.::

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Gandolf, I believe 20 minutes is up. Are we on commercial break? I'd really like to see another category as well as the winners for this one go up before my rehearsal.

11. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Oh, it's too bad luney's not here... *sits at the SMOOCH table and sighs at luney's empty seat*

12. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Herman Snerd staggers into the awards thread. From the looks of him he's been dipping into the homebrew a wee bit early today. Either that or he's got a nasty cold.

Wearing a torn, stained T-shirt and a pair of sweatpants with at least three identifiable forms of fungus growing on them, Herman draws cold stares from the rest of the group. Flipping them the bird, Herman trots over to the buffet table where he proceeds to sneeze on the foi gras.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Lol. That's Herman for you. ::Tries not to breathe the same air.::

14. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    ::AQ blinks:: Oh my.

Well, to answer your question Ish, we'll just have to wait and see. IF we win an award, I think we should just say a few things to everyone. Excerpts are ready if needed!

AQ

15. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Ish, Gandolf just started this fifteen minutes ago. Hav some patience, birthday girl. ;)

16. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Enters awards ceremony wearing a silver Gucci tuxedo, silver Gucci loafers, along with an extremely attractive female friend.

I doubt I was even nominated by anybody, oh well. I'm here for the ladies. Hey ladies.

Sits down, and applauds for Gandolf's Dark Mirror.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    He started it 31 minutes ago. I AM patient. :) I just have rehearsal in 29 minutes and want to catch some of the action!

18. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Geez, Herman! Don't you know you're supposed to present yourself to your beta for inspection before arriving at one these ceremonies?

Di-Lee puts on gloves, grabs Herman by the T-shirt & drags him off

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I would have nominated Through the Eyes of A Soldier if there were more categories.

Go Di-Lee. ::glances at coterie:: I'm so glad we have classy co-authors.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    ::claps:: That was beautifully written, Gandolf! :) When are we getting the results? ;)

21. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Oh, I forgot that the board's clock is ten minutes fast. :D

22. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    And the winner is [insert dramatic pause]

BY THE GRACE OF LADY VADER!

Congratulations!

The next category is best for Action Fic.
    The top four vote grabbers were:

Crash Course- Lilith Demodae
    SW EpII(Insert Pretentious Title Here) by Jedi-Jae
    What if the Empire Sequel By: Darth Pipes and ami-padme
    When Comes the Dawn by Qwi_Xux

Good luck!

23. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    The hazards of working on a term paper while running an awards show :p

24. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    ::sighs:: yeah, it is... :p

Gandolf, where are the results? :D

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    WOOHOO! Lady Vader rocks!

::Sits down, chagrined and blushing.:: I forgot this wasn't a Red Sox game.

::Crosses fingers for IPTH.::

GO JEDI-JAE!

::Glances at Gandolf.:: You're not going to let me peek at the results until after my orchestra rehearsal. Are you? ::Sulks.::

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.