main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2001 Fanfiction Awards Ceremony

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Gandalf the Grey, Nov 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    The excerpt was written by Ish of course. Gotta love Alia's Holy Hothballs line. ;)

A speech eh? Hmmm well first of all-Dashs off stage and into the wings.

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm on break from rehearsal and all I can say is...

::Runs up on stage, squealing in delight and hugging all of her co-authors.::

"I see you stick-man. Put that away, I'm going to be here for a while." ~Julia Roberts

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!

::Jumps up and down.::

WE DID IT!

Okay, can anyone tell that I'm waaaaaaay too excited about SOTTOT winning? :D

3. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    *big hug for Ish and the other ladies whose names I can't remember*

Talk as long as you want, we promise to listen. :D

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, and JG, I can't remember who wrote the "For that he had no parry" scene, but it was my favorite in Lady Vader!!!!!!!!!

5. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    ::AQ hugs Ish right back:: Now, we just gotta get Am, LadyK, and Mar on here! They're gonna love this!

Again, thanks to everyone! And thanks to my wonderful co-authors! Luv ya girls!

AQ

6. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I?ve already posted A Day in the Life of Emperor Palpatine, so in its place I?ll post an excerpt from an upcoming fic, also focusing on Palpatine. It will be titled Shadows of an Ivory Tower.

I stand in the pod, waiting for my moment. I am in the galactic senate, in the seat for the Naboo sector, waiting to be sworn in. The honorable representative from Alderaan is sworn in as I watch, cheers rising up around me. I am silent, clapping for him but not really caring. I have worked all my life to reach this point, to be a Senator. From here, the seat of the Supreme Chancellor is with sight, almost close enough for me to reach out and touch it. From here, my path to rule the Republic is clear.

Though it is not without pitfalls.

Almost unwillingly, my eyes are drawn away from the Alderaan pod as it retreats to the chamber wall, drawn towards a pod that floats towards the next senator to be sworn in. It is a pod that is carrying Jed Knights.

Old anger and pain twists my stomach, along with a hint of fear. My skills are still virtually untested. Though I know from hard experience that the Dark Side is stronger, I still know the value of patience. The need for revenge burns strong, but it is a slow fire. I have waited long years already for my vengeance, and I can wait for years yet, biding my time. The Jedi are weak, weaker than they?ve been at any other time in the last four thousand years, but the time isn?t yet ripe.

I let my emotions wash over me, the anger sending waves of dark power through me, the fear adding an irresistible spice to the taste of my strength. One of the Jedi lifts his heads and scans the room, and I know that he can almost sense the power I wield, like the faintest whiff of sulfur in these cloyingly perfumed halls. But he shakes his head, and turns back to the Senator being sworn in. My disguise is perfect, and he cannot detect me.

I allow myself to smile as the pod carrying the Jedi floats closer, and I consider the dark and bloodstained path that led me to this point. A shadow of regret touches me, but I shrug it off. I am Daishar Palpatine, elected representative of the Naboo sector, and most importantly, the last of the Sith. My time is coming. The Jedi will pay.

I was born the eldest child of minor nobility, on a rather insignificant middle rim planet. It may surprise you to know that my earliest memories are happy ones, and if fate hadn?t intervened I might very well have lived a normal, if spoiled, life. My family was very well off, with large estates on my homeworld?s northern continent, and I was denied nothing. The intelligence that was to be my boon later in life was evident even then, and when I was three years of age, I began my schooling.

I could read and write by the time I was four, and by my fifth birthday I had began to try to read Jerne, H?Gells, and other such authors. My parents, sparing no expense, bought me real books, with pages mage out of paper. I was not very popular among my peers, and I preferred solitude to companionship. My classmates preferred to play sports, though of course at that age there is generally little skill involved. I was small for my age, frail, ill suited to such activates. It was within my books that I found comfort, reading stories about mighty heroes and treacherous villains.

Despite not having any truly close friends, I was happy. At that age, every day is a new experience, and the entire world is beautiful. One memory in particular comes to mind. I was perhaps five, and my parents woke me in the middle of the night, taking me outside. We lay there on the grassy slope of a hill near my house, the night birds calling out their sad song, while above was the perfect dome of the sky. There was a meteor shower that night, and brilliant shooting stars fell from the heavens every few seconds.

The meteorites were fascinating, but what truly impressed me were the stars themselves. Remote, untouchable, they hardly twinkled in the clear sky. They were tiny pinpricks of light, shinning brilliantly amid the

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, I have the remarks.

I'd like to thank the Boards for addicting me almost 9 months ago. For my loyal co-authors who put up with my bloodthirstiness. For Am, my loyal Padawan, who made sure everything in my posts made somewhat sense. For the readers for reading it and, miracle of miracles, loving reading it as much as I loved writing it...

Should I shut up now?

::Sees everyone nodding urgently.::

Okay. WOOHOO!

8. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Wow, Gandolf! I can't wait for that fic!

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Me either!

10. jade_angel

Apr 4, 2001
    Fastest growing thread in the WR maybe it'll catch up to the SOT planning thread?Laughs

And Gandolf! Now I wanna read that too!!!

11. DarthLothi

DarthLothi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2001
    *Lothi sneaks in late with wet hair and towel from the shower and hides in the back*

Congratulations to all the winners! It looks like I have some more reading to catch up on.

Hey, Ish, congrats! You don't scare people half as much as you think you do! :p

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    And now for the proverbial musical number. Ewan McGregor, performing DarthIshtar's "When Morning Comes" from The Other Half.

::Ewan comes out in that cute little number he was wearing during Moulin Rouge's "Because she doesn't love you!" scene.::

Ewan: This one is for Jade_angel, AngelQueen, Amidala_Skywalker, DarthIshtar, and LadyKenobi. Much love and laughter. And congratulations to the rest of you nuts!
    And for a special treat, my Padawan will be standing here for decorative effect.

::Hayden steps out in the black leather gizmo he wears in the Forbidden Love trailer. Grins sheepishly.

Ewan nods to the orchestra.::

Ewan: Hit it.

"When morning comes,
    with untainted futures,
    I'll rise with you
    to share in your joy.
    To tell you I love you
    and always be with you
    that each new morn will
    bright hope be.

When day wears on,
    with life's small trials,
    I'll stand by you
    to share in your life.
    To give you small comforts
    and be your safe haven
    so each new burden will not
    be carried alone.

When evening comes,
    with all its weariness,
    I'll pray for you
    to conquer your doubts.
    To meet each new challenge
    with love and great strength
    so you can be a guardian
    of hope, friends, and love.

When night befalls
    and darkness o'ercomes you,
    I'll watch over you,
    keep you safe through the night.
    That light will return
    and you'll see the dawning
    and know that I love you
    through morning and night."

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Hugs Lothi.:: I think that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me. ;)

14. jade_angel

Apr 4, 2001
    Wonderful musical! Encore!!!

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    And the result is?

A three way tie!

A Day in the Life of Emperor Palpatine, Dreams Die Hard, and Red Star will share the honors this time around :)

Come on peoples; let?s have more excerpt posts! :D

The next category is for Best Short Story (the proper category for See you Soon ;) ) The top nominees are:
    Bound to Happen by Mistress Renata
    See you Soon by Amidala_Skywalker
    Unrequited by Herman Snerd

Was See you Soon able to gather together enough votes to win, despite the confusion? Was Unrequited able to stage a late game turnaround and take the lead? Or will Bound to Happen surprise everyone? Tune-in in twenty to find out!

16. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Well Herman snuck out of here, but I have an excerpt post for him....

The opening of Unrequited by Herman Snerd

Anyone who might have been watching would have noticed nothing unusual. It was quite typical for the Millennium Falcon to weave a seemingly suicidal path through the capital ships of the New Republic Fleet. The freighter, and more importantly her captain, had a reputation for breaking the rules and coming out alive. Indeed, it would have taken an astute eye to see that there was nothing at all usual about this situation.

For one thing, the Falcon had already bypassed the command ship that was its usual destination. As the small freighter wove its way through the fleet, it buzzed the shields of one Mon Cal Cruiser and set off the collision alarm on a Corellian Corvette. But all of this was nothing compared to that famous ship's seemingly clear intention to ram one of the frigates that hung at the back of the fleet formation.

The medical frigate.

The docking officer of that frigate sent word out to the Falcon to power down her engines and prepare to be tractored in. Han Solo however had no intention of obeying that suggestion. The Millennium Falcon broke the magnetic field of the hangar bay with her braking thrusters firing at maximum, sending the assorted crews scrambling in panic when they realized what was going on. Once within the cavernous hangar, the Falcon changed direction to avoid the rescue shuttles and the few defense fighters that were stacked in neat, orderly lines. Had anyone in the hangar been actually watching rather than fleeing in terror from the pilot with an obvious death wish, they might have noticed the even more suicidal person who stood at the bottom of the already lowering ramp.

The Falcon had not yet come to a stop and was still several meters off the deck when Leia jumped clear of her husband's ship and hit the deck running. Ignoring the confused looks and even more confused salutes of the maintenance techs who came bursting through the door to see what all the excitement was about, Leia tore down the ship's corridors on the verge of breaking into a panic. It was at that moment that she saw the comforting smile of a familiar face.

"How is she?" Leia demanded frantically. "Is she?"

"Jaina's going to be fine Leia," Mara Jade Skywalker soothed her sister-in-law. "Her condition has stabilized and she regained consciousness a short time ago."

"I need to see her," Leia said, though in a much calmer and more relieved voice this time.

"I don't think you should do that just yet," Mara cautioned.

"Why not? I want to see my daughter."

"I don't think Jaina's ready for that," Mara explained. "The first thing she did after she woke up was to order us all out of the room. When I tried to calm her she used the Force to knock me out into this hallway and then locked the door. I think we're going to have to wait until she decides to let us in."

"That doesn't make any sense," Leia said. "Why would she do something like that?"

"I don't know. After she tossed me out she caught me trying to read her emotions and erected all sorts of mental barriers against me. When Luke arrived he suggested that we wait for you."

"Luke's here?" Leia exclaimed, the relief evident in her voice. "Where is he?"

"He went to the hangar to meet you and Han. You must have missed him," Mara smiled. Her eyes closed for a second while she contacted her husband before Mara once again returned her full attention to the distraught mother before her.

"Luke's with Han right now. He's got him calmed down and the two of them are currently apologizing to Captain Xanther for your unconventional arrival. That ought to keep them busy for a while."

"Do you know what happened to Jaina?" Leia asked.

"She was unconscious when we found the escape pod. We got to her about twenty minutes after the emergency beacon was activated. Security teams are still trying to put the pieces together down on the planet. We've blockaded the system; no one has gotten in or out since we arrived. W

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My rehearsal doesn't resume until 7:15. I'm hoping to not die of suspense before then.

18. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Can't you just tell us what they are? Why do'ya hafta make us wait twenty minutes?
    *yells of agreement are heard amongst fellow NRAF troopers*

19. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    ::AQ smiles in thanks to Ewan and Ish, then turns to Hayden:: Thanks for stopping by Hayden! The girls are gonna be all over you if you aren't careful.

::Hayden just flashes an award-winning smile at AQ, and she promptly swoons::

AQ

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Sighs.:: We can be patient. We can. But it's lucky that I left my lanvarok at home. "That would be in my OTHER dress."

21. Veng_Commando

Oct 26, 2001
    What is a Lanovark anyways? I've always wondered that. Is it a weapon?

PS: anyone read my other post? no? is ok.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It's a weapon. I heard of it in the Bacta War, but couldn't find a description or picture, so I invented my version of it and it's now my favorite weapon. Think of a bow, with a hooked blade on the inside edge that you grip in the middle. That's what it looks like.

23. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Here, Ish, you can borrow Sparkles. :D

You know, you should start the Order of the Lanvarok at some point. That would be an interesting group. ;)

24. Veng_Commando

Oct 26, 2001
    Oh goody can I join? A group devoted to little scythy thingies that really hurt. My kind of crowd!

EDIT: I see that some people, like Melaynee's entrance, did a little "what are we wearing?" thing, were we all supposed to do that?

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I did.

Anyway, there's House Lanvar in the NSSO, which is a derivative of the lanvarok term. I think, however, there should be a group as well.

Mithrandir, where are you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.