main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2002 costume projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    Woohoo, it's done! Way to go, Jedi Samantha!

:~) I remember throwing some parts of various costumes together just to get them done!

AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGH!
    My embossing didn't work. I cut out the Naboo Royal crest and made a rubber stamp. I then did the dry iron on the velvet....and all I got was a smeary sort-of crest resembling sort of shape, barely visible from a few angles. Bleah. I think I'm going to get a fabric paint in a slightly lighter color and just stencil it on, instead. <sigh>

BTW--Clown JarJar? :~D

2. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    GentleBant-you should have been here a few months ago-you would have seen Moulin Rouge can-can Jar Jar...I never knew Jar Jar had such nice legs! ;)

3. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Thanks!

I wanna redo the sleeves though to make them bigger and embriodar the middle peice one day.

All i know is i have to save for my armor!!

4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    LOL! Jar Jar has joined the circus as a clown this month and has been seen dancing around town.... ;) Last night the Halloween dance show aired! It was hysterical!

I got the last piece of my latest clown costume done on my way home tonight.

Now for the armor repair. It's mostly a couple pieces of Velcro that have been giving me trouble.
    I am going to lay everything out tonight so I can just put it on as soon as I get home tomorrow and them go back downtown, on the train in armor.

I can't wear my armor to work tomorrow, plus I have an unbelieveably early meeting tomorrow. It's a good thing that my mewest clown costume is so comfortable, I could sleep in it...... ;)

I made contact with 5 different TV stations today and a press release was sent out to them regarding tomorrow night's events. We will see who from the media shows up. We will be out "in Force" tomorrow night!

Also--it is going to be very cold around here tomorrow night. I better wear both of my undersuits!

Samantha--your Senator Amidala costume looks good!

5. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Well, it is All Hallow's Eve...I had a great birthday yesterday-I ended up with a zillion phone calls, 3 cards in the mail containing a total of $80, (most of my family lives at least an hour away from us), a card, candy, a shirt, and some lingerie from my husband...not too bad, not too bad...all for doing nothing but getting older.
    Well, I have a ton to do to get ready for tonight! I need to steam Jasmine's Cinderella gown, repair her neck ribbon, try to do something with her hair, get out all of her accessories, get out Raiden's costume-(he is just doing the simple toddler in a Tigger sweatsuit with the ears on the hood thing), and try to see what I am going to wear...
    I bought a pattern last night for Jasmine, it is an old fashioned type dress like we all wore when we were little, the short puffy sleeved dress that has a collar and no waist-kinda like Raggedy Ann wears. I found a place www.morrisseydolls.com that sells patterns for dolls like My Twinn, American Girl, etc. and they have a pattern like this for My Twinn-which Jas is getting for Christmas. (It is supposed to be here around Thanksgiving-I cannot wait to see it) The matching child & doll clothes My Twinn sells are so darn expensive, I only bought one set so she would have it at Christmas-I figured I could make her some more. (If anyone is unfamiliar, My Twinn makes a doll that looks like your child-down to the freckles, face shape, and exact haircut.)
    Nos-could you email or pm me-I need a good source or two for stormtrooper boots. I have seen different ones out there, but you never know which are actually good quality for the price or not. I bought the same type of boots you suggested for Imperial officer, and Jason has seemed pleased with the looks, and I liked the price. :) If we cannot have his armor by Christmas, at least he will have some components under the tree!
    Sam-your dress looks nice! What did you use for armbands?

6. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Samantha--your Senator Amidala costume looks good!

Thank you! Senetor today, Jedi tomorrow(IMAX!!!!!!!), sith on saturday!

As for the arm bands, i used to left over sleeve fabric which i believe is Baroque Satin....and i bought some silvery ribbon, sewed it on, added some velcro and VIOLA! Arm bands!

Now the real test is gonna be when i go home in a few short minutes to finish up the headpeice.....this is gonna be interesting.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

7. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    That is a good idea for the armbands...when considering it before, I had debated on what to use.
    Happy Halloween everyone! Don't get too crazy or eat too much candy...did I mention my daughter is bouncing off the walls?

8. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Woohoo!

q-s, my students don't have any candy yet, and they are really antsy!
    :~D

I crawled around on my office floor last night and cut out and painted the crest on my cloak. Phew! I'll post pics later.

My kids have nearly no clue who I am. :~D

Samantha--great idea! Post pics when you have time!

Got my turtleneck and broomstick skirt for Dorme. Now, I need to make the tabard/scrunchy thing and the robe. Should I make the tabard 1 and a half times as long or twice as long to get the scrunching done?

9. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Maroon cloak, done!

(sorry to post right after myself)

Hope all the little kids out there are safe and having fun.

GB in Maroon HM Cloak

10. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    The new clown costume was EXCELLENT to work in, very comfortable and it looked great. I wore the make up and more bells. ;)

I got home after work, did the quick change and back downtown in armor.

EP II on IMAX is HUGE!!

I can sit in my armor, but I sit exactly like an action figure and I can make it in & out of the washroom in less than 5 minutes.
    I only have to take off my gloves and forearm pieces and helmet, then loosen a few other pieces. It's not much more of an ordeal than Jedi robes and tunics and tabbards and belts........

The one thing that bothered me about IMAX EP II though was all of the tiny dust specks on the film. They were magnified to the size of a flock of randomly shifting birds and very noticable and even distracting during the lighter scenes (like on Kamino interior)

More IMAX tonight and tomorrow. The movie is opening on 2 other screens locally today.

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    GentleBant, your new cloak looks beautiful! Great job :)

12. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Wow, Nostradamus, the armor sounds complicated and wonderful. :~)

Thanks, Obi-Dawn!

I've just finished stenciling my Dorme cloak for tomorrow's IMAX event.

Has anyone gone, yet?

13. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Sorry to reply to myself...

Here's where I am so far on the Dormé gown!

[image=http://gentlebant.bravepages.com/images/side_%20by_side_dorme_1.jpg]

14. MrsStrahd

MrsStrahd Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    As you may or may not have seen in my husband's latest posts, yes, I was Shaak Ti for Halloween. I'm not completely satisfied with the costume. The montrals and head-tails still need work, but we should have it ready by the time we start our next fanfilm.

15. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    As of tonight Vince has a turn-of-the-century styled suit to wear while we are out doing the can can! All I need to find now is a nice vintage top hat and he will look like President Lincoln!
    "We can dress him up in the Argentinian's best suit and pass him off as a famous English writer!"
    Yes, Vince will easily be able to sneak into the Moulin Rouge now. ;)

Now onto the next sewing project!

I still can't decide which Amidala dress to do next. It is leaning toward the wedding dress, because I have had several requests to do this.
    I might do a Quincy-scaled version as a "demo" so I can tell folks exactly what is involved in making it.
    I was looking at lace last night and saw some very beautiful possibilities, but it will not be an inexpensive project to do.

I may be working on a non-Star Wars project next though. It will be stunning. I woke up at about 4am thinking about it and not being able to go back to sleep. I got up at 5am and continued working on Vince's costume. I needed to finish that before I move onto this next one.

16. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    hehehe, I do that to;) I get an ideain my head how to present or make somehtign and I cannot sleep;) Sometimes I have to get up and do some real sketching or look at pictures to get it out of my system;)

17. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    trouble with posting tonight.

18. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Time to call the "Modern Marvels" show----yesterday morning I achieved a perfect welt pocket over a dart that holds Vince's wallet perfectly!

The trousers fit perfectly at the waist. They have a fly that lies neatly flat. The satin stripes down the side seams are very straight.

If I were going to make an other one of these, I would use a stiffer lining material in the coat so it would look sharp enough to cut with. I would also make the front pockets in the pants a little bit deeper.
    As it is though, hardly no one will notice the 1% sag in the tail lining but me and Vince will have to pay attention to the possibilities of keys falling out of the pockets.

Now onto that next project!

19. Jedi_Samantha

Feb 15, 2002
    Wow everyone seems to be getting busy again!!!

I promise that once i get back to school tomorrow, i will post a full compleated picture of my Padme dress and my sith costume...if i can find them lol

Next project for me: Stormtrooper armor. The Co commander and PR officer from the ECG who are 2 of my friends are gonna help me modify it since im "short and small for a stormtrooper" hehe

20. GentleBant

Sep 21, 1999
    Woohoo!

Go, everybody!

Nostradamus--what are those pants/trousers you're talking about? I didn't quite follow....

Here's where I am...
    Finished Dormé Front, Hood down
    Finished Dormé Front, Hood up
    Finished Dormé Back

I think my next project is to lengthen the "sleeves" on the Dormé robe (I ran out of material), redo the hood and yellow dyeing on my flame dress, and embroider the red undersleeves for the flame dress. I think I'd like to try and do the disco-ball parade green handmaiden gown, next. :~D That, and I have two cushions to finish slipcovering on our sofa!

21. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    It is so difficult to photograph dark costumes.
    But,
    That looks good Gentle Bant! :)
    I remember you from Celebration II now. You were one of the handmaidens that sang. :)

The trousers are for the turn-of-the-century styled man's formal suit (think Moulin Rouge) (kind of like a tuxedo) that I made for my husband over the weekend.
    The tail coat is a single breasted, one button coat with black crepe satin lining and collar. The trousers are pleated with satin stripes down the sides and 2 side seam pockets and the (amazing) welt pocket in back. I used a black poly-blend material. It is washable and wrinkle resistant. The vest is 5-silver-lined, pearl button, white and silver thread woven material fully-lined with white satin.
    I made the vest about a month ago. That turned out great, nearly perfect. One button hole is about a 1/16th of an inch off.
    I started on the pants and got stuck and then side-tracked into some other costume projects.
    Sometimes a costume project has to "sit" for a while, so I can figure out what I am doing if I have never made something like that before.

Anyways, I just bid on a beaver top hat.

My husband has a collection of antique canes to choose from and I picked up some white gloves last month when I was shopping for clown costume accessories.

I can tell next year's DragonCon will be interesting.

22. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Vince tried his whole new costume/suit on last night and I took some pictures, but the disc is messed up and I can't get any pictures off of it.

He looks so skinny in it! The vest and trousers are very fitted. He needs to get a nice tuxedo shirt and a small white bow-tie. I am bidding on and watch a bunch of vintage beaver skin top hats.
    DragonCon next year should be interesting.

23. katha

katha Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    just wanted to draw your attention to my thread about an idea I had for a costume. I desperately need some help with it.

My Idea

It looks to me like the top part is a leather type fabris while the bottem is something softer. Any thoughts about this would be most helpful. I'm also in search of a good pattern to use.

BTW, great progress on cotumes everyone. I love looking at this thread to see what people are up to. Can't wait till the next convention so I can see some of the finished projects.

24. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I have been kinda quiet on the message boards the past few weeks because I have been working on several projects and I attended a convention 2 weeks ago.

Still no luck on a beaverskin top hat to complete my husband's costume. I bid on and won a nice one, but it was too small, so it's back to the search for the perfect hat.....

I have nearly completed a coat based on Gustav Klimt's painting, "The Kiss". I can wear it as is right now, but it may benefit from even more embellishments. I plan to wear it to my husband's art exhibit opening next weekend and then to an other holiday party at the gallery the following week. I am curious as to how this piece will go over in an art crowd.

I have also made 2 prototype "Christmas" hats. I am not sure if there will be a Christmas-themed "Star Wars" costume in the future. I don't know of any local events where such a thing would be appropriate, but at least I will be thinking of something already.

I am planning to work on some sort of costume for Quincy as her Christmas present. It may be her first 2003 Renaissance Faire costume, or it may be the start of her next Senator Amidala costume.

25. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    I just completed a gown from The Two Towers:
    [image=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~thebruce/eowynprb.jpg]
    http://recital.tripod.com/costume/eowyn.htm
    [image=http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~thebruce/eowynground.jpg]

http://recital.tripod.com/costume/eowyn.htm for the page and more piccies, including one of me with the actor who plays Gamling.

Not bad for a few days work.
    Monday found out about the picnic.
    Tuesday bought the fabric and cut the body of the dress.
    Wednesday cut the lining and sewed the body up, faced the neck.
    Thurday morning recut sleeves made the fabric peices for the belt and that
    night bought fabric for the sleeves
    Friday cut sleeves found the silk to line the sleeves assembled the belt.
    Saturday made bias tape and hemmed the skirts, made the rings for the belt
    (formed wire around a cylinder and cut them) sewed the beads and bits to the
    neckline and belt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.