main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2003-04 Football Season Trash Talking Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by JediDragon, Aug 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    I just hope they remember overestimation is a weakness... ;)

*SB*

2. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, first of all, if you have to "rest" up your 1st string players, then you are a banged up team.

Youre kidding, right?

Theres a little more to it than that.

3. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    No seriously.

Timid teams do not win.

4. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    Sure ok. But resting your starters in a game with no playoff implications does not make you "timid". It makes you smart. Most important, it keeps your team healthy for your first playoff game.
    Thats why they did it.
    There was no reason to risk an injury to any of the starters.

Remember a couple weeks ago when Portis got hurt on a meaningless running play before we kicked a field goal that we were probably gonna kick anyway? It was an unneccesary risk that produced harmful results.
    The whole game against Green Bay was just like that play.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    keep in mind also that the players themselves had no idea who would be starting until the day before. the first team worked just as hard all week in practice as they would have if they were going to start. it's not like they were sitting around all week slacking off and losing focus.

denver will bring their A game on sunday.

6. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Every team that wins the super bowl never coasts into the playoffs. Never.

Momentum is on the winners side.

Denver has no momentum.

I gaurentee that if they loose people will be screaming, why didn't they play their starters at GB, they were rusty out of sync and all kinds of other crap.

Just wait, you'll see.

7. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    True dat, yo...we WILL see.

I agree with the previous posts, that it was a smart gamble to rest our best players. They get a bye of sorts. Momentum/schmentum. Thats what I say. We beat this team last week, in their house...we can do it again. I believe the strategy can play out, and I think it was brilliant. Shannahan has sand, yo.

So there 8-}

8. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    bend over

9. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Watch out, that could be close to ......

User agrees not to post material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy.

OR.........

User agrees and acknowledges that any posts, nicknames or other material deemed offensive, harassing, baiting or otherwise inappropriate may be removed at the sole discretion of the administration.

You agree to these terms every time you press POST, please read the fine print.

10. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    DarthOb1: bend over

I expected better. Not sure why, looking backing at your posts, but... wow. What a weak comeback.

Momentum is on the winners side
    Reminds me of "tomorrow is the future of today".
    Makes sense, means nothing.

Besides, if you win a game and you carry this magical "momentum" into the next game, it lasts until about the opening kickoff.
    Each game is different and momentum changes in the blink of an eye with a fumble, a pick, an injury, a bad call, a good call, a phone call, etc., etc..
    Its the NFL. Anything can happen, anytime. "Momentum/schmentum."

Every team that wins the super bowl never coasts into the playoffs. Never

So every team that has ever won the super bowl, also won their last regular season game?

DOUBT IT. I'd like to see the history on that one.
    But even if (by some freak coincidence) they had, its really just another meaningless stat. Just because its never been done before, doesnt mean it cant be done now.
    Past statistics can be good indicators. They are not always, but they can be. They are certainly not law or prophecy.
    IMO, repeating what has happened in the past as what is surely about to happen, is an excuse for actually thinking about the current situation.

I gaurentee that if they loose people will be screaming, why didn't they play their starters at GB, they were rusty out of sync and all kinds of other crap.

I'm sure people will be saying lots of things if they lose, and maybe that'll be one of them.
    Still doesnt make it correct.

BTW, I'm not saying I think the Broncos will win the super bowl. I'm not even sure they can win Sunday. (I think so, and of course I hope so, but I'm not sure.) I think it was a good idea to rest the starters. It gives them their best chance against Indy. If the Broncos lose, I dont think it'll be because the starters lack momentum from playing the week before.

11. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    WoW

A rise !!!!

[face_laugh]

I thought this was supposed to be a trash talking thread!!

Not a pansy discussion of the strategy and possibilities of football.

And Sith_chick your the one who took it sexually, but that was not even my intension. So before you go and lecture me about ethics of posting try to pull the rafter out of your eye before removing the splinter from my eye!

Sheesh....

As far as my comments about momentum, only time will tell.

12. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I thought this was supposed to be a trash talking thread!!

Keep the trash clean.

And Sith_chick your the one who took it sexually, but that was not even my intension. So before you go and lecture me about ethics of posting try to pull the rafter out of your eye before removing the splinter from my eye!

It is not wise to upset the CR. If you didn't mean it the way she took it, say so. No need to get mouthy with the CR man.

Just take it easy bud. I won't be real happy if MY football thread gets locked, especially this far into the season (er...post-season).

P.S. - if you want to discuss this further, please do so via PM whether it's me or Madam SITH__CHICK.

13. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    whether it was intended to be sexual or not, it was taken as baiting. OB1, i won't sit here and lecture you on the rules of posting, since you've been around as long as i have. but take heed, sith__chick gave you a warning, plain and simple. no need to start with the accusations....

14. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    What did you just say? Did you read your PM?

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    >>>grimby's picks for wild card weekend<<<

AFC

Tennessee Titans at Baltimore Ravens
    i forsee a tough low-scoring defensive battle. the ravens will do everything in their power to stop mcnair, but their sputtering offense will fail to put up enough of their own points. Winner: Titans

Denver Broncos at Indianapolis Colts
    in a rematch at the rca dome, the colts will come out and try to stop the denver rushing attack, while stretching out the defense with their potent passing game. denver will stick with what they do best, running the ball and keeping the time of posession in their favor. this will be a closer game than their first meeting, but the denver defense will prevail once again. Winner: Broncos

NFC

Seattle Seahawks at Green Bay Packers
    seattle's ill performance on the road will shine through once again as ahman green runs right through the defense. hasslebeck could be a deep threat, but brett favre and the pack will prove they are more playoff worthy than just a mccown touchdown pass. Winner: Packers

Dallas Cowboys at Carolina Panthers
    this will be another close defensive battle. it will come down to whichever team can convert on more third downs and make plays. turnovers will be a deciding factor. *pulls name out of hat* Winner: Cowboys

16. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Darth OB1

You mentioned that you believed your comment was merely a continuation of the sports related trash talking that has engaged readers and posters alike in this thread for 24 pages. I beg to differ. I'm not trying to make this any bigger than it is, but upon reading your further attacks, this time on the CR who is trying to quell the backlash...I must say that I am shocked.

I asked the elected CR to say something, and as your seemingly licentious comment seemed to be directly aimed at me, I feel that this is my right as the offended party. If your post wasnt meant to be sexist and assinine in nature, and it was erroneously misunderstood, then I apologize for tattling on you. However, if you didnt mean it the way it was taken, thats all you had to say.

17. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    No I am the one who must appologise.

The comment was directed towards you, but not intended to be more than just smack talk.

And as far as attacking sith_chick, I wasn't. I merely stated that if it was a perverted comment she made it one, because it was not intended to be one. And to lecture me about ethics of posting is quite unnecessary. I've been around these boards for several years, and until now never had anybody threaten to BAN me for saying bend over. I think its a little bit of a power trip, personally, but that is my opinion.

So with that being said I can't believe that controversy it caused, guess I'll stick to the 3SA forums were people have little more of a sense of humor.

18. Sith_Slayer

Sith_Slayer Jedi Master star 6

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, if anything humorous is actually said...

...perhaps we'll laugh.

19. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    To lecture about the ethics of posting is HER JOB.

We asked her to do it.

To give someone a warning first about a possible banning after a member complains to her that some said something offensive is HER JOB.

As you say, you've been around here long enough to know that what's CRs, Mods, Admins, etc are here for.

The best response would have just been to say "i'm sorry for saying something that was taken offensivly, i'll be more careful" not to attack the CR for letting you know and reiterating the rules we all agree to.

20. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Now that this has turned into a bash dOB1 thread I guess I'm the one that picked up the ...., nevermind.

21. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    Hey guys, great idea! LET IT GO OR TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. When I said take it to PM, that wasn't JUST for ob1...take it elsewhere for pete's sake. This is a football thread, not a posting ethics thread.

BACK TO FOOTBALL.

I agree w/ Ben's picks aside from the Indy/Denver game. I'm going with Indy on this one. They'll want to get back at Denver and Manning is hungry for a playoff win. They're not going to lose twice to the same team in their house especially now that the stakes are raised.

22. Dantes-Hell

Dantes-Hell Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2003
    yeah but if indy beats denver, then indy will beat those overrated chiefs too...

23. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    perhaps, but I've already said I don't picture my boys making it to the bigbowl this year...that wasn't really my point.

24. Dantes-Hell

Dantes-Hell Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2003
    ah i remember now... playoffs are great... every game could be the last.. i was just talkin a lil trash, for the sake of the sport... anyways, i dont really have any picks because as good as i want denver to be, a trend of theirs this year seems to be their inconsistency... the same team that rolled over the chiefs and colts is the same team that struggled against cleveland and chicago... lots of c's in there... anyways, i dont know how they'll play so im not gonna make any predictions... i figure ill just wait around and see

25. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    It wasn't the same team, 7 starters were out with injuries during the middle of the season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.