main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2003 costume projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Dec 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    Nos-Jasmine has two pairs of ruby slippers in two different styles. She has a pair from Wal-Mart that were in the pics I sent you-Mary Jane styled with a strap-and they are a metallic ruby color-like metal flake automobile paint.
    Her second pair are from www.birthdayexpress.com in their costumes section. They are plain flats without straps, and are more move accurate. They are actually covered in the ruby red glitter coating.
    I do not remember how far up they go in size-I know Quincy is getting big. Maybe you could find a pair of red shoes with low heels...like the movie ones, and cover them in red glitter or bugle beads or something like that??? I found the light blue roll down socks at Wal-Mart as well in one of those variety packs of 6 or 8.
    I really eeked up my lower back this weekend...and I have dance rehearsal in 2 hours...I really need to overload on the Advil before I go...I spent the weekend tied down to my sewing area-I have made the patterns and cut the fabrics for me and my sword dance partner for our new tops-they are all ready to be sewn. I also on a whim made a teeny tiny hipscarf out of purple crushed velvet, black trim, and tiny gold coins and beads for my instructor's new baby. It is so adorable. I sized it to fit Raiden-so it should fit her daughter roughly when she is from 1-3 years old. All of this is for her "welcome baby" party we are having in a couple of weeks. All that cutting, sewing, and being hunched over beading/coining really did it. I woke up this morning and could barely get out of bed. I am sure that some of you can relate after pulling a "sewing all nighter". LOL
    QS

2. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Well this is the costume I made in 2003. In 2004 I'm planning Kit Fisto and Luke Hoth costumes. This is my first costume I've ever made (with the help of some friends). It is a custom mandalorian.

[image=http://images4.fotki.com/v44/photos/4/42811/156622/DonnyVsMike-vi.jpg]

[image=http://images4.fotki.com/v49/photos/4/42811/156622/DonnyBH3-vi.jpg]

[image=http://images4.fotki.com/v47/photos/4/42811/156622/DonnyBH4-vi.jpg]

[image=http://images4.fotki.com/v44/photos/4/42811/156622/DonnyBH-vi.jpg]

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Wow, amazing pics!

4. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm working on two really good costumes right now.

When I have them done, I'll share. :) And I'm adjusting my Dark Leia.

5. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Thanks Sister_Sola. Those pics were taken where the ROTJ Jabba's Sail Barge scene was filmed. We found many pieces of the barge and the sarlacc.

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, foxbatkllr, those pics are really nice! Your costume is wonderful too!

You found bits of the Sarlacc? :D

7. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Thank you very much!

Yeah we found pieces of the sarlacc...latex and foam. We also found wood pieces of the barge. This was the 2nd time our FF has gone out there. We have a couple of members in our FF who were there in 1982 for the filming so they know right where it is...in fact way back then after filming finished they stole several full size shudders from the barge!

You can see it here in the background on display at our SD Comic-Con booth. It's in between John Morton (Dak Ralter) and the TV monitor.

[image=http://images2.fotki.com/v23/photos/4/42811/335474/mycc9-vi.jpg]

8. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    Nice pictures and interesting take on a Mandalorian custom.

I just used my JoAnne's 50% off coupon to by the bulk of the outer fabric for this costume's eventual coat re-do.
    <-------
    Yes. As of today I am now committed to re-doing this one. I hope to have it completed by C3. And I am going to have to make it expandable again, Quincy is still going! I wish she would STOP!

Dorothy costume is coming along..........

9. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I want to completely re-do the original Queen Amidala costume that I first made for Quincy in 1999.

<------ that one.

I have to start collecting the materials now, since the velvets and rich fabrics selections will quickly diminish and will be out of season soon.
    I saw a pretty good fabric to use for the body of the coat at JoAnne fabrics a few days ago. The color and texture are perfect. It was on sale for $15 per yard. (Reg $20) Ouch! I will need at least 5 yards. (I bought 6) However, I have a 50% off coupon. I did use it on that today, but that has started me on the path to commit to making the costume. I saw a very, very appropriate orange fabric at an other fabric store last night. Orange is generally not in the top 10 choices of colors when you think of evening wear or special occasions. I need to pick that up soon as well.
    It was ~$8 per yard. I have to figure out how much I need.
    I figured that before this costume is completed, I could probably end up spending $400-500 on the materials alone.
    It will take me several months to find all of the appropriate materials. It will take me several months to build all of the different pieces.

10. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Nos Cool--Neat to have a BIG project to occupy your time. I recently found some great fortuny silk for a costume I am working on. The wonderful accordian pleated fabric would work wonderully for the under dress of the Senate gown. If you are interested in it I will be happy to share a picture and ordering info with you. When I found it the Senate costume was what jumped in my mind first. Can't wait to see your progress.

Oh--for the Dorothy costume Maggie Made this costume for halloween--She also just went to a costume exhibit and saw what we *think* is an original Dorothy costume.
    Here is a link to her page with pictures and observations (hopefully she won't mind me sharing this with ya'll :) )
    Click Me

For Dorothy shoes--try ebay under Ruby slippers, dorothy shoes, glitter shoes, etc. You should be able to find some there.

~Ferd :)

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks QS!

I just finished the Dorothy dress this morning!
    I have yet to try it on Quincy.

.....ruby
    slippers.......basket....Toto too...

I will give ebay a try.

I also have a Dorothy dress cut out for her A.G. doll. I may work on that a little later on.

Is that silk in the correct color? I am a little hesitant to use a very delicate fabric on a costume for Quincy. She can be such a slob sometimes, so I look for fabrics that could be washed if necessary. I'd hate to put months of work and loads of money into a project to have it ruined by something accidentally spilling on it.

12. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Great info on the real Dorothy dress and shoes! I noticed that they were sequin covered when watching the movie as well..nice to have a close up picture for the construction finally!
    I am also wanting to make a Dorothy costume for Jasmine's My Twinn doll...when she first got it, they had 3 matching outfits, and now they are down to one with Jas growing so fast...and she loves her Dorothy outfit so much...as a matter of fact, she is with Grandma this weekend, and she had to take her Dorothy outfit because she wanted to wear it today when she goes to church with Grandma. Nice to know that she has a costume that is suitable in fabric/construction that she can wear out pretty much whenever she wants to...
    QS

13. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Hey Nos, I have a really great basket for a Dorothy costume - it's really similar to the movie version. I forget if the original was rounded or square - mine's rounded. It also has the hinged lids opening from the center. It's really cute. I suggested it to another friend for their Dorothy costume, but they already had a basket. If you're interested, I could probably get you some pics.

Let me know! :)

14. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Well I just got two big projects done enough to be worn to an SCA event here:)

Anna Meyer's dress from the Meyer Altarpiece by Holbein.

All hand sewn, all wool and linen (cotton sewing thread due to the thickness of linen thread here)

[image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/annameyerfullfin.jpg]

And a dress inspired by Anne of Cleves painted by Holbain also.

[image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sca/clevesfullsit.jpg]

Actually also inspired by a dress in an Amberger painting and the colour from a number of paintings by Cranach and the Master of the House Book.

15. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Oh my gosh that green one is LOVELY!!... :)

~H~

edit: quick question.. do you wear some petticoats (ie other skirts) under that? or a kirtle? I'm not well versed in german underpinnings and not sure the time frame you are shooting for, so I'm curious.

16. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    heheh, well this is the question;) My personal feeling is there is something worn between the shift anf the gown as there are these layers prior (15thC) and later (mid 16thC) and it would be odd for an item to be discarded then brought back within a generation. It generally doesn't happen.

There are also a few instances of sleeveless bodices worn over the shift and the skirt rolled up (different colour so it appears to be a dress with a sleeveles item underneath.)

There are also a few images of very conical figures in this german style of dress which is generally depicted as very curvy.

And there is one instance I just recently found that may show a dress worn under a dress as there is fabric showing around the neck that is not part of the over dress as there are guards separating the fabrics... I need to get the image online;)

And going through Modes and Manners (translated verion of Die Mode by Max von Boehn) there is mention of an under dress and over dress.. though the overdress doesn't sound like the dresses seen.

Kirtles also are worn in neighbouring countries and take the strain off the main dress so they make sense.

There are also many depictions of skirts under the main gown and separate petticoats seem to be more associated with the latter 16thC when stays began to be worn... so like a kirtle or pair of bodies that is divided into separate body and skirt.

I am on the hunt for more conclusive evidence, maybe hunt out inventories of households of the time.

17. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Both your dresses turned out gorgeously, Neimhaille!
    Beautiful, beautiful!

Your discussion of research of period-correct underpinnings and styles made me think of a person of the future trying desperately to recreate the clothing of today... can you imagine someone researching the stitching on jeans pockets to get their costume exactly right? Or being befuddled by the fact that some people wear several tee-shirts layered together while others seem to wear only one?
    I don't know why; this just got my brain whirring, and now I can't stop chuckling to myself.

-sg

18. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    So beautiful Neimhaille!!!!!! Amazing costumes (as always!)

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Nemhaille, you look so beautiful in your gorgeous dresses! :) Wonderful work!

surly, that cracked me up! Can you imagine someone from the future trying to recreate an old Izod shirt and trying to recreate the little alligator patch just so? Blarhar..... [face_laugh]

20. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    BEAUTIFUL!

21. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    S.G: Yeah;) And underwire vz non underwire.. boxer and briefs... g-strings;) Depending on what survives is what people will think we *all* wore;)
    And thank you:)

Sister Sola: Thank you:) There were times the Monster was very nearly ripped up;) But getting the trim on the hem made so much of a difference that I decided it was going to be worth all the hell it put me through;)

Obi Dawn: Thank you:)

Nos: Thank you:)

22. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    [image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jangofett316/jasterfront.jpg]
    [image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jangofett316/jasterchest.jpg]
    This has been my project for the latter half of 2003. It's a custom Mandalore, like foxbatkllr's above. I've been working on it a lot lately and I'll definitely have it done for SDCC next year, hopefully sooner

23. queenseamstress

Jan 30, 2002
    Those gowns are both gorgeous...you look stunning in them!!!
    SG-that is SO funny...I can see future period costume recreators totally trying to do that...discussing how the 3/4 sleeve jersey t-shirt with the white body and the colored sleeves and ringer neck had TWO different episodes of popularity...first in the late seventies and early eighties...and then again in the 2000-2003 era.
    Of course, they will discuss how the earlier ones were commonly characterized by glittery iron-ons depicting Dukes of Hazzard, or the Greatest American Hero symbol...and the later ones usually had cute little catch phrases such as "Spoiled Brat" or "Princess."
    QS

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    The Greatest American Hero! Blarharhar!

Danakin, your Mandalore looks awesome so far! I'm so used to seeing your picture as Anakin that it took me by surprise to see armor! :p

25. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Started working on a sort of medieval dress that I want to have finished by the premiere of ROTK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.