main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2003 State of the Union Reaction and Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mischievous, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    GWB is going to make the case for war in Iraq, and he's going to discuss important domestic issues as well.

This is an important speech as war looms and the economy founders (due to uncertainty among other things), and I just wanted to know what you guys think about what was said, what you think should have been said, and whether you agree with the issues in the speech or not.

Moving the speech here

Mr. Speaker, Vice President Cheney, Members of Congress, distinguished guests, fellow citizens:

Every year, by law and by custom, we meet here to consider the state of the union. This year, we gather in this chamber deeply aware of decisive days that lie ahead.

You and I serve our country in a time of great consequence. During this session of Congress, we have the duty to reform domestic programs vital to our country...and we have the opportunity to save millions of lives abroad from a terrible disease. We will work for a prosperity that is broadly shared...and we will answer every danger and every enemy that threatens the American people.

In all these days of promise and days of reckoning, we can be confident. In a whirlwind of change, and hope, and peril, our faith is sure, our resolve is firm, and our union is strong.

This country has many challenges. We will not deny, we will not ignore, we will not pass along our problems to other Congresses, other presidents, and other generations. We will confront them with focus, and clarity, and courage.

During the last two years, we have seen what can be accomplished when we work together. To lift the standards of our public schools, we achieved historic education reform - which must now be carried out in every school, and every classroom, so that every child in America can read, and learn, and succeed in life. To protect our country, we reorganized our government and created the Department of Homeland Security - which is mobilizing against the threats of a new era. To bring our economy out of recession, we delivered the largest tax relief in a generation. To insist on integrity in American business, we passed tough reforms, and we are holding corporate criminals to account.

Some might call this a good record. I call it a good start. Tonight I ask the House and Senate to join me in the next bold steps to serve our fellow citizens.

Our first goal is clear: We must have an economy that grows fast enough to employ every man and woman who seeks a job.

After recession, terrorist attacks, corporate scandals, and stock market declines, our economy is recovering - yet it is not growing fast enough, or strongly enough. With unemployment rising, our Nation needs more small businesses to open, more companies to invest and expand, more employers to put up the sign that says, "Help Wanted."

Jobs are created when the economy grows; the economy grows when Americans have more money to spend and invest; and the best, fairest way to make sure Americans have that money is not to tax it away in the first place.

I am proposing that all the income tax reductions set for 2004 and 2006 be made permanent and effective this year. And under my plan, as soon as I have signed the bill, this extra money will start showing up in workers' paychecks. Instead of gradually reducing the marriage penalty, we should do it now. Instead of slowly raising the child credit to a thousand dollars, we should send the checks to American families now.

This tax relief is for everyone who pays income taxes - and it will help our economy immediately. Ninety-two million Americans will keep - this year - an average of almost 1,100 dollars more of their own money. A family of four with an income of 40,000 dollars
    would see their federal income taxes fall from 1,178 dollars to 45 dollars per year. And our plan will improve the bottom line for more than 23 million small businesses.

You, the Congress, have already passed all these reductions, and promised them for future years. If this tax relief is good for Americans three, or five, or seven years from now, it

2. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    1) I hope he gives more details about Economic plans, as I don't think he's done too stellar a job with the poor hand he's been dealt. Just looking at the two Treasury Secretaries, and the bungling of O'Neill's departure, does not inspire me with confidence.

2) I hope he lays out a clear and coherent case for our position on Iraq. Rice and Powell have both made excellent clarifications/arguments in the last few days, and I hope the President's speech follows along these lines. As in the past, the only time Iraq has ever submitted to cooperation with the UN over disarmament, it has been under duress due to looming military action. If they are to capitulate, and start working with the weapon's inspectors instead of working against them, it is going to happen because the US/UK/UN is willing to enforce Resolution 1441 with force. But, he also needs to make clear that Iraq can still comply fully, and that their fate is not sealed (otherwise, they have no incentive to cooperate). See the Iraq thread for further discussion on this point.

3) I hope a comprehensive Civil Rights package is brought out, tying together the recent AA issues, and possibly advancing Vouchers as a national issue for 2003.

4) I hope he has something to propose as far as some environmental initiatives. This is an area where he clearly hasn't done enough, but even still has received far too much criticism. If this issue is not going to be a weakness in 2004, or another reason for me not to vote for him, the administration needs to start now. Some National Carbon-trading frameworks would be nice...

3. Darth_Doug

Darth_Doug Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 20, 2002
    Good thread. It should be interesting tonight.

I read in the NYT and the Washington Post that people are calling this State of the Union address "one of Bush's most important speaches of his political career". It seems to me that Bush has had a whole lot of those "most important speeches". His inaugural speech (after the election controversy), after Sept. 11th both to Congress and televised to the nation, and now this one.

We'll see how he addresses the points Red Seven brought up. It will be especially important for the timing of Iraq and the economy.

4. Mort

Mort Jedi Master star 4

Aug 25, 2000
    There was talk a few weeks ago that he might announce an iniative to put a man on Mars in ten years time.

5. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I don't generally like Bush, but if he does the Mars thing, he'll have my support.

I still think he's gonna declare himself emperor though ;)

6. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    The full speech isn't available yet, but excerpts are:

Tonight, President Bush will talk about the challenges our country is facing both at home and abroad, and call on the American people to confront them as we always have - with resolve and confidence:

"This country has many challenges. We will not deny, we will not ignore, we will not pass along our problems to other Congresses, other presidents, and other generations. We will confront them with focus, and clarity, and courage."

He will outline four specific domestic goals for the Congress to address in the coming year: strengthening our economy by creating more jobs; high quality, affordable health care for all Americans and prescription drugs for seniors; greater energy independence while improving the environment; and applying the compassion of America to the deepest problems of America.

On our economy: "Jobs are created when the economy grows; the economy grows when Americans have more money to spend and invest; and the best, fairest way to make sure Americans have the money is not to tax it away in the first place."

On health care: "... for many people, medical care costs too much - and many have no coverage at all. These problems will not be solved with a nationalized health care system that dictates coverage and rations care. Instead, we must work toward a system in which all Americans have a good insurance policy ... choose their own doctors ... and seniors and low-income Americans receive the help they need."

On compassion: "Tonight I ask Congress and the American people to focus the spirit of service and the resources of government on the needs of some of our most vulnerable citizens - boys and girls trying to grow up without guidance and attention ... and children who have to go through a prison gate to be hugged by their mom or dad."

During the second half of the speech, President Bush will talk about our challenges abroad to defend the peace by confronting them:

"The qualities of courage and compassion that we strive for in America also determine our conduct abroad. The American flag stands for more than our power and our interests. Our Founders dedicated this country to the cause of human dignity - the rights of every person and the possibilities of every life. This conviction leads us into the world to help the afflicted, and defend the peace, and confound the designs of evil men."

President Bush will also speak to the progress we have made on the war on terror, including the need to confront Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction, as part of the war:

"Today, the gravest danger in the war on terror ... the gravest danger facing America and the world ... is outlaw regimes that seek and possess nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons. These regimes could use such weapons for blackmail, terror, and mass murder. They could also give or sell those weapons to their terrorist allies, who would use them without the least hesitation."

He will discuss the Iraqi regime's defiance to the world and our obligation to hold him to account:

"Twelve years ago, Saddam Hussein faced the prospect of being the last casualty in a war he had started and lost. To spare himself, he agreed to disarm of all weapons of mass destruction. For the next 12 years, he systematically violated that agreement... Almost three months ago, the United Nations Security Council gave Saddam Hussein his final chance to disarm. He has shown instead his utter contempt for the United Nations, and for the opinion of the world."

"The dictator of Iraq is not disarming. To the contrary, he is deceiving."

President Bush will conclude by reaffirming the principles that demonstrate the true character and goodness of our country:

"Americans are a resolute people, who have risen to every test of our time. Adversity has revealed the character of our country, to the world, and to ourselves. America is a strong Nation, and honorable in the use of our strength. We exercise power without conquest, and sacrifice for the liberty of strangers."

7. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    I'll weigh in after....

He has some work to do, IMHO.

Peace,

V-03

8. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    I certainly agree with his statement on nationalized health care if that's the case in the final speech.

I do not want socialized medicine in this country.

9. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    If those are real quotes from his speech tonight, hope those are rough drafts. If they're not, Bush really should consider firing his writers! Since when is "deceiving" the opposite of "disarming"? Shouldn't it be something to the effect of: "The dictator of Iraq is not disarming. To the contrary, he is hording weapons." Or perhaps simply: "To the contrary, he is arming."

Sounds like the writers (and Bush, if he had any say in it) wanted to use a more aggressively negative word to define the Iraq situation, but neglected to reformat the overall statement.

But, of course, he hasn't actually said it yet, so we'll see if that changes in the final draft. ;)

10. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    How about a national insurance plan? Something that is low cost and provides the basics? I don't want socialized medicine either, but something has to be done so that people can afford and even get health insurance [1].

[1]After going through the mess of LA County's Health Services, I sure as hell don't want that to be the national standard.

11. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    If those are real quotes from his speech tonight, hope those are rough drafts. If they're not, Bush really should consider firing his writers! Since when is "deceiving" the opposite of "disarming"? Shouldn't it be something to the effect of: "The dictator of Iraq is not disarming. To the contrary, he is hording weapons." Or perhaps simply: "To the contrary, he is arming."

He is also deceiving, since he was supposed to have given a comprehensive list of his weapons programs to the UN prior to the inspections. The inspections would be more accurately called "confirmations," since all they are doing is confirming the comprehensive nature of that list. If one major weapons program is missing -- chemical weapon warheads come immediately to mind -- then Saddam has deceived the United Nations, has committed a material breach, and has invited war.

12. chibiangi

Jun 16, 2002
    I'd also like to see the evidence of the link between Al Qaeda and Iraq that they have been promising for months. I think if a clear link is shown, it will sway some of the fence sitters.

13. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    While direct evidence would sway "fence-sitters", those who are vehemently against the war will never be convinced.

It can be argued that we already have enough evidence, and that still isn't enough for some people. Oh well.

Go get 'em GW!

14. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    You know what frightens me? The cabinet member who's out of town tonight for security reasons, John Ashcroft.

*shudder*

15. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I like how he starts with domestic so he can end with his strong suit.

Nicely chosen.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I had the same thought, JFT.

17. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    My dad's met him and Mr. Ridge.

He was not impressed.

18. Bubba_the_Genius

Mar 19, 2002
    One wonders if the Dems will continue sitting on their hands during the discussion of Iraq...

19. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    Ugh. Thanks for the cheer, JFT.

"I'd also like to see the evidence of the link between Al Qaeda and Iraq that they have been promising for months."

Since when has the White House been promising that?

20. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    I'm all for flying cars.

I just spotted what looks like a sleeping spectator. Why are these idiots allowed in the building?

They should have Ozzy try and deliver this. Heh.

21. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    Bubba, I was wondering the same thing.

EDIT: I say screw the oil biz.

22. Bubba_the_Genius

Mar 19, 2002
    FYI, the phrase, "power, wonder-working power," is a subtle reference to a hymn. ("There's power in the blood of the Lamb.")

I know that'll hack off the church-state-separation people, but I must say:

'atta boy, Dubya.

23. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    I think the Israeli hardliners just choked.

24. chibiangi

Jun 16, 2002
    Since October/November, RedSeven.

25. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Wow...

This is great.

I'm kinda starting to feel sort sorry for all those Dems now. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.