main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2004 Academy Awards: Best Original Score

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Esperanza_Nueva, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stradman

stradman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 14, 2002
    In time, Oscars do not matter. It is just one day out of the year when all of Tensle-Town dresses up to pat itself on the back. Time is always the judge of greatness. In twenty years, no one will have heard of Million Dollar Baby (except mabe on TCM), but people will still know what The Passion of the Christ was. The same is true with the music. Only the best will survive the test of time. Thousands of composers have set their pen to the parchment, but only a handfull are known to this day. When you think about it, the music of less than 5% of all composers has witheld the test of time.

I said all that to say this: "The Academy Awards mean nothing"

2. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Passion will be remembered for a long time, eh? That's a shame, especially considering how few people remember (or know of) Scorsese's much better The Last Temptation of Christ. And I'm not even tha t much of a Scorsese fan (I'll have to see Sideways, Million Dollar Baby, and the Aviator before deciding for sure, but I was rooting for Finding Neverland this year).

I was pleasantly surprised to find that The Passion wasn't quite as anti-Semetic or insanely gory as I'd heard, but I was thoroughly disappointed by the lack of real drama, or for lack of a better word, PASSION.

3. MasterKenobi777

MasterKenobi777 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2005
    The Last Temptation of Christ was probably the worst Jesus film ever made and it was nothing but blasphemy that ended up receiving a big fat ban from the Catholic Church so Catholics wouldn't want to see it, thats why that film is remembered. You must have went to sleep in The Passion of the Christ since you think it lacked passion. That movie was incredibly awesome and well done by Mel Gibson who is one of the best directors around. I mean when Jesus is being whipped and beaten he looks toward his mother and that gives him strength to stand up after receiving a horrible beating, and when he cries out to his Father to forgive them after he's been nailed to the cross. If those two examples from the film aren't passion then no one really knows what it is.

4. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    General kenobi:

I must have missed the earlier thread about "the score being original" but i agree with you. ROTS will not be nominated cause it won't be original. He would have to change everything, even the opening theme, which there is no way in hell he would do; or more to the point, that people would accept.

I have to believe that the only reason HP3 was nominated was because of a very small portion of Hedgwiks (spell check) theme in the beginning, and from there it was new material. I don't remember hearing any returning themes.

It doesn't matter, cause i'm sure that John Williams will make a great score for all of us, and to be honest; the man has amassed quite a catalog of music and won many awards in his career.

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm not sure, but I think that was a topic of discussion in the HP2 thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.