main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2004 Boston Rebel CR Election Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by Ryno, Jan 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Dowe

Darth Dowe Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
    That is good incentive, but I believe that the next CR, whoever that is, would be running that show.

This year would be the build up and excitement, though. Recruit new members, raise morale, get people back, change the website, change the board colors, etc :)

2004 CR
    ----------
    Buildup and Excitement

2005 CR (April)
    -----------------
    C III
    Ep III (May!)

'Tis exciting times for Star Wars Fans. May the best person win, and thier ideas will shape the Rebels for years to come.

2. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Like I've said in the past, I can set up a special email for voting, and then members can vote for their choice. The appropriate person(s) can then use the email password to count the votes.

I know that I can't vote since I'm not a member yet, but if I can help in any way with the collection and counting of the votes I would be more than happy to do so.

3. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    So who is officially running?
    I know Roseanna is so far. Who else?
    And can I vote even though I have missed a couple of meets?

4. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Chris, you make the meets you can and you're work schedule is what has kept you from the meets that you haven't made. All are good reasons why your vote shall count.

5. DarthLucanas

Mar 22, 2003
    Thanks I appreciate it. You guys allowed me to vote last year but I didn't feel I had enough time so I didn't. I was only in the a short time in which March was my very first meet.

6. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I know I havent been that active in the past year,but I wanna help out when and where I can.And I think I may have a solution to this.

I have been sitting on a message board, doing jack with it. I can set up a poll for voting. I can also make it so you have to register to vote.That way not any Joe Schmoe can post and screw up the vote count.I can set it up so that I have to varify who gets in and who doesnt.I would only accept members of the Rebels.

I can set the poll up, PM links to members, and in, say, a weeks time we have a new CR.

Just another option. You guys let me know.

7. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    JO's offer and Roy's offer both sound good to me (thanks guys!). Roy's is probably better since he's more familiar with the group members. What does everyone else think?

8. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    I like the email cuz noone besides JO could see what the tally was. In the poll, wouldn't people see the numbers voted thus far? That might influence.

9. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I think that people not being able to see the tally could lead to sore feelings like last year. I think a final total should be available to those who are running. The vote should be secret the numbers shouldn't. Roy can control the people able to vote which will keep outsiders from stirring up any trouble.

10. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    In the poll, wouldn't people see the numbers voted thus far? That might influence.

Yes they would see the tally, but if they have to base their vote on majority then thats sad. People should vote for who they think is more capable of handling the thankless (right Scott ;) )position.

But like I said, its just another option. You guys talk it over and let me know. I can have it set up in no time.

Plus, if you like the boards, I'll set it up for us to have as our own forums.

11. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I'll talk to Joe and Roseanna about it and see how they feel about it.

12. DarthLucanas

Mar 22, 2003
    Not to get off subject but what about other positions in the Rebels? Do they also change every year?
    Will we vote on those or does the new CR choose?
    Will there be any new positions?
    I am unfarmiliar with the process or rules within the Rebels when it comes to the leadership.
    Just wondering.

13. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    A CR can add staff as he or she see fit.

14. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Alright guys, here you go, as promised:

For those of you who don?t know me, my name is Roseanna, and I?ve been a member of the Boston Rebels since November of 2002. About a year ago I became the Public Relations Representative, and my primary duty in that position has been coordinating the Darth Vader World Tour. Now I seek the office of Chapter Representative, and I?m asking you all to please consider me for this position.

Since joining this group, I?ve become a very devoted member. I attend nearly every meet, my absences being only when I?m out of town. Some of you might be concerned about me not being around in the summer since I haven?t been in the past. This summer I do plan on being in Boston. I may miss one meet due to a short trip home, but that?s all. I?ve put a lot of work into the Darth Vader World Tour, and I help support the group in general as a staff member. This group is very important to me. This is the first FanForce I joined, and my primary loyalty will always be here. I owe a lot to this group, and I would love to continue to work for all of you as your CR.

As CR, I?d like to reinvigorate this group. Scott has done a great job during his term, and everyone should be thanking him for it. I?d like to improve meet attendance, which includes recruiting and keeping new members. I?d really like to see our board be more active. I want us to be more involved with the community; this includes other related groups (such as other FanForces and other area groups that share our interests) as well as community service. I?d like to rework the website and board scheme; it?s not that I?m unhappy with what we have (on the contrary, I like it very much), but change is refreshing.

As CR I will also need a core group of staff members to help share the responsibility for running the group. I was thinking about 4 positions: PR Rep, Event Coordinator, Webmaster, and Treasurer. I?d ask for all of your input before making any decisions in that area though. Having devoted staff members is important to the functioning of the group. Scott has unfortunately been burdened with a lot more work due to losing a couple of staff members for various reasons, and I know that I can?t run this group by myself.

All I ask is that you vote. This election is important to the future of the group, so I hope you?ll all take a few minutes of your time to make the decision and submit it. I wish the best of luck to Joe, and I look forward to seeing you all in March. :)

15. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    As CR I will also need a core group of staff members to help share the responsibility for running the group. I was thinking about 4 positions: PR Rep, Event Coordinator, Webmaster, and Treasurer.

Can you give us more info on what the responsibilities of those new positions would be?

16. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Well, here's what I'm thinking about. However, like I said, I'd want to discuss these positions with the group to see what everyone thought before filling them.

PR Rep: Essentially, this position will involve running the Darth Vader World Tour. Qualifications include immense patience and people skills.

Event Coordinator: Makes sure that a meet happens every month. Everyone will be contributing to meet ideas and helping to decide what the meet each month will be, but the EC will be expected to facilitate that decision, and handle the planning (the where and when, directions, cost information, etc).

Webmaster: Kind of self-explanatory from the name. Maintaining the website and our banner. Like I said, I'd like to overhaul the site, banner, and board scheme because I think the change would be refreshing. The website will also need updated for the meets every month and for the Vader tour. I'd like to add even more to the site, like member bios and a photo gallery for our meets.

Treasurer: It would be nice to have someone to keep track of the money that belongs to the group. We don't currently have any money, but if we ever do some sort of fundraising thing (which is something I think we should look into), we'll need a treasurer. The group will need money as a whole for website costs and possibly for a premium version of our emergency boards should we need to move. It would be nice to have funds to do special stuff on occasion. Group donations will be encouraged and appreciated, but not expected.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Basically each position entails aiding me in an area of Rebels business that requires too much work for just the CR to handle. I still plan on helping with all of the above, but having other leadership in the group is a good idea and helps gets things done. I should also mention that these staff positions will include a more general responsibility about leading the group. This means if you don't plan on coming to meets, don't commit to being a staff member. I'm not going to "fire" a staff member for missing a single meet, but if there are multiple absences I'll need to reconsider my decision on who would best fill that staff position.

Does that all make sense? If not, just let me know and I'll try to explain better. I'm really tired right now so I apologize for any incoherence. :)

17. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    Hi, most of you would know me as Joe, I have been a member of the Boston Rebels since June 2002 and ever since have loved the group and the fun times and meets we've had. I immediately fell in love with a group of cool star wars fans who would post about everything from sports to news. Its easy going group of friends who happen to all like star wars, instead of just a fan group.
    I began regulary attending meets and was a loyal member until this summer where I had to attend to other things in my life including school, work, and family issues and was not able to make meets or post often, only occasionally. However, I was always wanting to get back to the rebels and all the cool times and thankfully I've recently came back full time to the rebels.
    Anyways, I've decided to run for CR because I would like to become more active in the Boston Rebels community and help to impact the Rebels positively for the future. I'd like to try organizing some new kinds of events, or meet places that would increase meet attendance and entice new people, as well as be fresh and entertaining. I have always wanted to have more interaction and possible joint meets with other fanforce chapters, have more non-official meets and even put into action the much talked about Rebels road trip event. One great thing about the Rebels is the occasional arrival of new members, who have always been recieved warmly and are always interesting to talk to. With the buildup and excitement of Ep 3 and all that great stuff there will certainly be new members galore and plenty of oppurtunities for building and
    Anyhow, I wish Roseanna the best of luck in the election I'm excited about a time of building. I'd be happy to answer any questions or take any suggestions about my ideas. I'm better at just talking than adressing anyways.

18. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Okay. We've heard from both candidates. If you have any questions for them please feel free to ask.

19. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I have one thing I'd like both candidates to give thoughts on, if they can.

It seems to me that, in the last six months since I've been "back", a lot of the meets have been planned, well, sort of at the last minute. No offense to anyone, or any knock on any of the CR's abilities, intended - I know it's difficult to coordinate between everyone's schedules, locations, transportation, etc. But having the meet plans coming to us so late, it's hard for some of us (like me, with my screwed-up schedule) to set time aside for the meets.

I'd like to hear the candidate's thoughts on two things related to this: firstly, on what they think of having events planned well ahead of schedule (insofar as possible), and secondly, on having a "fallback meet" - that is, if we can't work anything else out, we'll still have some set time and place to meet (example: unless something else is planned, we'd meet at noon on every second Saturday of each month at Joe's in Dorchester for burgers).

20. Darth Dowe

Oct 23, 1999
    I think the main reason we've not had a steady schedule of meets is cuz we haven't had a Event Coordinator for a very long time. He just disappeared. Almost a year, in fact. So Scott has had to come up with ideas on his own, as well as doing the CR duties. That's alot of stress. I hope both candidates bring back the E.C. to the staff.

21. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    firstly, on what they think of having events planned well ahead of schedule

Technically, the meets are supposed to be every 3rd saturday of the month. So that way people know ahead of time,regardless of what is planned.

22. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    It is true that most meets are always on the third Saturday of the month. Sometimes it doesn't happen and we need to move the day.

Jedi_Hood,input is always welcome for meet ideas.No matter how much in advance they are. I don't recall any suggestions from you? Did I miss them?

Edit:Spelling

23. TK7771

Jul 22, 2001
    Thats why I said technically ;)

BTW, any word on how you wanna handle the votes?

24. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Well, whether it's Joe or Roseanna who gets to wear a pretty blue name for the next 365-odd days, I'm volunteering as EC. ;)

25. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Our meet schedule is typically the third Saturday of each month around noon. Most of our meets have been on this schedule. For example, our trips to King Richard's Faire and Salem were all planned pretty well in advance, but the problem is that few group members post anything - confirmations, rejections, suggestions, etc. When no one posts that they can or can't come to a meet, it appears to us that no one really cares to make the effort. Usually the idea for the meet and the day are established pretty well ahead of time, but working out the other details (where to meet, exact time, transportation, etc.) is dependent on group input, which has been lacking in the past several months.

A fallback meet is a great idea though. If Borders works out for us next Saturday, I think it would be smart to make that our fallback location for the 3rd Saturday at noon (or whatever day/time everyone wants) each month. Like I said in my campaign statement, I do plan on having an event coordinator, and Chris has already volunteered his services (we'll worry about filling positions after the election though). I think in general what we'll have to do is be quicker about our decision making when group input is lacking. We wait to decide on things because we don't want to exclude anyone, and we want to make sure as many people can come to the meets as possible. However, sometimes we do wait too long. Shortening that waiting period, having an event coordinator, and being firmer about the importance of group input should go a long way to improving meet attendance in the future. :)

EDIT: BTW Roy, Scott talked to both Joe and me last night about voting procedures. If he hasn't already, he will be discussing it with you shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.