main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2004 costume projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    It looks freaking awesome, Neimhalle. Just gorgeous.

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I finally did some sewing again. Hats & more hats.

I have to get those completed before I move onto the time-consuming one.

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I posted a pic of our cat "helping" in the Costuming Cats thread, but thought I'd show pics of my finished projects in all their ridiculousness here:

[image=http://homepage.mac.com/halfmoth/.Pictures/Jiji/11-15%20Couch%20Demon.jpg]

[image=http://homepage.mac.com/halfmoth/.Pictures/Jiji/11-15%20Kittenbench.jpg]

Wheeeeeeeeeee! Spoiled pet!

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    You already know how much I adore the kitty furniture, but I'll say it again: Too cute for words!

Jiji won the lotto getting to live at your house. :)

5. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Those feline divans are faahhhhbulous dahling!

6. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Awwwwww Spoiled Kitty! >^..^<
    That's what they're for though... spoiling :D

7. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    All 13 hats are done. Now it's time to move onto the next project -- hats! [face_plain]

I need to make at least two more specific sized hats for 2 specific heads. I better do those first while all of the sizing tricks are still in my head.

8. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Nos You are the Mad Hatter LOL

9. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Thanks Jaina:)

Mwahahahah, Holly, my cat is such a philistine. He prefers to sleep on an abandoned suitcase than anyhting remotely set up for him.

Glad to see your cats have such good taste as to actually appreciate what you did :)

10. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I found orange vinyl! It's BRIGHT!

I made my first custom Midwest Garrison pauldron last night.

Look for it on TV tomorrow.
    ABC-TV Chicago's Thanksgiving parade 9-11am central time - we are scheduled to marching right in front of Santa himself! We are marching with Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry and their ACTION: An Adventure in Movie Making exhibit. The exhibit features Star Wars props from all 5 movies, plus many other recent movies.

The custom pauldron design turned out very well. I scaled it down slightly to be more in proportion with me & my armor and included our garrison logo. I had a problem with the edging though. I used black vinyl and made it like single fold bias tape, but it is a little thick and was difficult to control, turn & sew.

I may make more custom pauldrons in the near future, or at least re-do mine at some point in time.

Does anyone know a source for the type of edging that is on a standard pauldron?

Does it have a specific name?

It seems to be 3/8" wide folded / creased in half black plastic or vinyl.
    I am imagining that regular people would use it for making upholstery items, floor mats, etc.

I asked about 5 people at Vogue Fabrics (in Evanston) yesterday. They don't have it. They have one of the bigger retail upholstery fabric & notions departments around here.

Has anyone seen this stuff for sale anywhere?

I also picked up a little more fabric or a few more hats.......I was trying to make 2 specific sized ones. I figured out of thirteen, I should come close. But not.
    So I am going to cut out about 4 or 6 more hats.
    I also started a few neckseals yesterday.

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    .......I completed alterations on a Vader cape........

.....4 more neckseals and 4 more hats completed.......

I am slowly working my way down the sewing 'pile', although my 'pile' is more of a mountain....range. :\

Next project that is resurfacing is a specific witch's hat from Harry Potter.

I have not been able to find a resource with great still pictures. I've put the DVD's in a few times, but got too wrapped up in watching the movies to find & stop the DVD at the places where the hat is shown.
    It is McGonagal's tartan hat. I know I will need to design a pattern for it.

....then on to the Queen's costumes

12. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    .....skipped the hat for the time being.....

I started on the EP I Senate costume.

I have the two outermost layers of the blouse sleeves cut out and basted together.
    I am using a golden shiny organza for the outer most layer and a gold on gold two-tone metallic cotton for the center layer (the sleeves will be fully-lined) I drew the beading design on the back of the metallic cotton and stitched all of the lines in place.

I started beading one sleeve.......OMG! This is going to be so much work!

13. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    I've got half my pattern worked out for my next movie costume project: Mina's green velvet gown from Dracula.

I may as well make use of my vampire teeth;)

14. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Well I accidentally found out my birthday present today. I was watching a couple of Fett helmets on ebay and noticed that my boyfriend won a really nice one for me. Looks like Jango is definately on the list of things to work on now. The armor will be coming in the mail soon courtesy of a friend of mine in my garrison.

Gah! I also have biker scout armor to be assembling, a POTC dress to sew, an Incredibles costume to make, and a Teen Titans costume to do.

Thank god most of that stuff doesn't have to be done until Dragon Con.

15. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    JANGO! :)

.....please kill me now..........I spent a few hours beading today. I have maybe, maybe a quarter of one lower sleeve done. This beading is going to have to be on both sleeves and the yoke of the blouse. And I thought this would be the least-involved part of the hand sewing that will be involved in this entire costume.

What I do have done right now does look quite opulent. That is inspiring.

16. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Neimhaille, Mina's green gown will be fab! Can't wait to see your creation of it!

17. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    I concur with Sola -- that gown is sure to be a show stopper.

:)

18. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Well im trying to get my act together and start a rebel pilot costume. If anyone has any tips and suggestions or anything let me know.

19. Neimhaille

May 12, 2002
    Thanks Cassandra and Holly:)

Oh I recently updated my Moulin Rouge site:
    MR Resources And I know I've missed Maggie's pages, and your's Cassandra.. but can you think of anyhting else I've missed? I know there are new ones from D*C 2004 (I'm trying to link to the costumer's sites rtaher than D*C galleries as some have disappeared already.)

[image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/movies/mina1.jpg]
    [image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/movies/mina2.jpg]

That's the test pattern so far. There are a few problems That I can't work out: how far down the buttons go at the front (rather than number of buttons I want to know the size of the area covered, then will use approriate sized buttons for my shape and size;) ) and if the pale green "underskirt" is actually the lining of the gown that's been left loose from the skirt down. It makes sense in terms of how the sleeves are lined...

And just how the pleats of the inner sleeves look on the outside of her arm. I think careful watching might help....

20. wraith13

wraith13 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    I noticed that this pic shows a good view of Violet Baudelaire's boots:
    Poor Baudelaire orphans
    I thought it was the hem of her skirt at first until I blew up the pic. Her stockings have a pattern on them and the boots look like leather with some light lines crisscrossing them.

Edit: Found some more pics here thequietworld.com

21. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Looking good michaela!

22. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    HAwkbat, in addition to the Info found on the Rebel LEgion, in the pilot Forums, you can join My Pilot Yahoo group, where I've tried to collect all teh info possible for the 4 Rebel Pilot costumes

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Rebel_Starfighter_Command/

there is also the Dewback wing Yahoo group. You can get that info from www.Dewbackwing.com

And I'm here for you to ask anythign you need.

23. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Yay! I got part of my birthday present today!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/detail?.dir=31a2&.dnm=a394.jpg&.src=ph

Thankfully winter break starts on Wed and I can get into working on Jango full time.

Other than that I've been busy at work doing bear costumes for a play here at my University.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/album?.dir=af54&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/iycis7/my_photos

Edit: Gah! I can never get that image code to work and make the pics show up in my post. I hate that.

24. surlygirlie

Aug 1, 2000
    Am I allowed to be scared of all those bears?
    Great work, just something about a rainbow of slightly maniacal looking ursa puts me on edge. :p

And YAAAAAAY for a super cool birthday present!

25. iycis

Jan 7, 2002
    Heh yes you can be scared of them. Actually the show is really funny. It's about some disgruntled children's show actors in Canada who want desperately to have their show moved to Nickelodeon in America. It's halarious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.