main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2004 costume projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    ...over two weeks later.......I am nearly finished with the beading on the second inner sleeve. I am pretty impressed with how it's turning out. That will motivate me to continue. It's incredibly slow and incredibly painstaking, but it really looks opulent. :) Next part will be the collar and yoke of the blouse.........or I might get the body of the outer coat cut out so I can start doing the hand-sewing of the ornamentation on that..........

And I now have a Boba vest to alter......and an other custom hat to make.

2. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Did anyone see A Series of Unfortunate Events this weekend? I really like Violet's blue coat. Pattern ideas anyone? I was looking at historical ones I could modify and found a few good leads.

3. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Gorgeous, Michaela! I love the costumes from Dracula!

4. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Quincy saw the Series of Unfortunate Events and said that she wants a Violet costume. Quincy is a HUGE fan of the books. I did not see that movie yet.

I did get the Fett vest put back together. It's O.K.
    I would have done it differently if I would have constructed it, but it should work.

Now there is a new problem with the Vader cape.

Argh. I don't think I will take on any more reconstruction projects. :(

5. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Well, another year, another reflection on how far off my actual list of costumes completed is from what I had planned to do:

The plan in Jan:
    - Arwen's farewell dress
    - Padmé's deleted senate gown from Ep. II
    - generic Jedi (for practice)
    - Barbie Princess of Ireland
    - Star Trek NG captain's uniform (for friend)
    - if it's still 2004 by then, maybe Leia's ANH ceremonial gown

The actual:
    - generic Jedi
    - Moulin Rouge Schoolgirl can-can
    - Eowyn's white wool gown for friend
    - re-do of Return to Naboo coat
    - Eowyn's white wool gown for self
    - Rohan horse banner
    - Arwen's Requiem gown (reasonable facsimile version)
    - secret Star Wars costume that will be completed before the end of the year!

6. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Yes, I am also compling my list for reflective purposes. ;)

7. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Sister_Sola

I abseloutely adore your Rohan banner, It looks fantastic! :)

8. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Awww, thank you Cow_Girl!

9. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I think I stuck close to what I was going to do.. even if at least one is unfinished;)

When do we start the 2005 thread;)?

I gots *lots* of plans for next year;)

10. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    .....January 1st 2005 for the 2005 costume projects thread. We have one week to finish up those 'last minute' projects :)

I have the last two Imperial Officers hats put together and ready for hand-sewing now on our car-trip up to visit my family today.

Vader cape is ready to deconstruct. Again.

I have the beading done on both inner sleeves to the EP I Senate costume. The linings are sewn in. I cut out and began construction of the yoke of the blouse. I have the collar sewn in and all of the beading patterns laid out.
    I will be beading that for the next few days.

I have also cut out the same pieces for the doll version. Last night I completed the beading of one doll costume inner sleeve and lined it.
    I plan to work on the human and doll costumes concurrently from now on.

11. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    2 more hats done....vader cape reconstructed......beading on the doll costume is done (for now) beading on the full-sized costume yoke continues........

12. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Well, I've posted the last two sections of my corsetry paper, which means I've completed a very nice draft for the new year! Yay!

http://www.livejournal.com/community/corsetmakers/185450.html

13. Saturniia

Saturniia Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2004
    I've done absolutely nothing that I've set out to do this past year, costume-wise, but I plan to do at least one costume (hopefully more) this year. More on that next week.

14. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    Reviewing my 2004 list, I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped, but didn't do terribly poorly, either :

"In 2004, I plan to :
    Make a prequel-era Jedi costume
    ***Designed and started, kind of - my mother made the outer tunic for me for Christmas :). I hope to have it done by Farpoint in February, and WILL have it done by C3***

Make a Yuuzhan Vong-era (New Jedi Order) Jedi costume
    ***Nope - started drawing out the design, and decided to focus on the prequel Jedi***

Replace Vader tunic, pants, inner robes, and cape
    with ones that fit better
    ***Done, though I want at least one more set of these parts so I can wear it more than once at a multi-day con***

Custom lightsaber for NJO Jedi (saberstaff, machined-
    aluminum "hero" version and a "stunt" version; EL
    blades)
    Custom lightsaber for prequel Jedi (hardware saber
    with room for a future EL adapter)
    ***Nope, for either saber - designed several, but I only priced one, and got sticker shock. Need to get it done though, especially since I already have TWO Lightech kits on hand...***

Upgrade one of my Kenner trooper blasters to near-
    screen-accuracy (working stock, accurate nozzle,
    magazine, resin scope)
    ***Done, and it looks great. Unfortunately, when I drilled to install the stock (last piece to go on), I cut into the circuit board, so it no longer makes sounds :-(***

In 2004, I >WILL< :
    Complete my stormtrooper armor (I've only owned it for
    14 months now... and the helmet's done. Except
    for putting fans in it.) ;-)
    ***Done - well, not DONE, but wearable, and I've got several mods in mind to make it better. But it works!*** "

Maybe I'll be a little more realistic for the '05 list? Nah, probably not :).

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrison Tyranus

15. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    2004 costume projects... now that I have a lot of time on my hands, I can actually get stuff done

ANH Leia - new belt needed
    Sith Witch
    New Jedi made from silk
    New Jedi Robe
    and something I like to call a Rebel Troopette This will be appearing at Empire Fan Fest in Secaucus, NJ April 17

Thats it for now unless something else stirkes my fancy

What I actually acomplished in 2004...
    2 ANH Leias (mine and a friend's)
    2 corelleian Jedi (for customers)
    2 basic Jedi (cotton and Silk - for customers)
    1 Smuggler (me)
    1 Troopette (me)
    Ep 3 Brown Battle Padme (me)
    Ep 3 Lavender Nightgown (me)
    Snow Bunny Padme Clone Wars (me)

Things I've Started...
    Purple Diamonds Clone Wars Padme
    Red Sorrow Padme (CW Season 3 preview)

Wow! I sure got a LOT more done than I ever thought I would :) Next year is going to be less because I have to work on my wedding plans :D :D :D I'll manage to sneak in a costume here and there though ;)

16. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I've been out shopping for gold the past two days. ;)

Last night I lined & joined the beaded sleeves to the lined & beaded & gold trimmed bodice of the doll's underdress for the EP I Senate costume (doll version)
    I started the layers of pleated orange skirts. I will add more gold and beading to it once I have the skirts on place. (I can tell this pleating will be an ordeal on the human version)

The human version's yoke has the beginnings of it's gold trimmings. I need to sew more of those on then put the lining of the yoke together and sew it in place. I will also add more gold and beading once the lower pleated portion of the blouse is in place.

17. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Well it's been a pretty productive year for me.
    I originally said I was going to do:
    Belldandy manga style from Ah! My Goddess
    Honda Tohru from Fruits Basket
    Arwen's Hope Dress
    Ozma of Oz
    Jack Sparrow
    Imperial Officer
    Bespin Leia
    Phoenix from X-Men
    Megara from Hercules
    Lessa from Pern books

What I actually did was:
    Belldandy manga style from Ah! My Goddess
    Honda Tohru from Fruits Basket
    Ozma of Oz
    Imperial Officer
    Phoenix from X-Men
    Lessa from Pern
    Padme's white battle suit
    Hild from Ah! My Goddess
    Anna Valerious from Van Helsing
    AoA Shadowcat from X-Men
    Hermione from Harry Potter
    Unused Padme wedding dress design
    Princess Leia
    Purple cloak

Ready for 2005, now... :)

18. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    1. My Clone Wars Padme
    Nope, not finished yet! Got good headway on all the beading, though.

2. costumes for Dragon*Con Masquerade and Star Wars Costume Contests (yay! secret projects!)
    Trashed the Masquerade idea a few weeks later. SW costume actually got started, but never finished. I may start on it again, but now that someone else is doing it, too (it was Ep 1 Senate) I probably won't.

3. Padme's robe and nightgown
    Nope, never even started.

4. More Can-can!!!
    Yup! Did this one! Got my Urchin costume done for DC.

5. LOTR Eowyn's Victory Dress
    Didn't even try this one. I have the mattelaise and what I thought was good brocade for the over-dress, but decided to wait until the EE came out. Glad I did, because there's more info there than I ever would have gotten on my own, but it confirms that my blue-silver brocade should be blue-gold. Urgh.

6. . . . Ugh, so many ideas, so little time . . .
    Heh, well, I got a lot done in this category. finished:
    Eowyn's White Wool (LOTR)
    Eowyn's White Wool v 2.0 (LOTR)
    Rosie's Wedding Dress (LOTR)
    Black Sith outfit (SW)
    Dawn costume for DC
    Alternate Dawn costume that was never worn
    4 random corsets
    Corsetry Paper
    Wedding dress for my brother's fiancee

To complete for 2005:
    Okay, let's be honest. 50% to be completed, this is a brainstorming list.

• Anna's Red Ballgown (VanHelsing)

• POA student uniform (Harry Potter)

• Beacon Gown (LOTR)

• Victory Gown (LOTR)

• Requiem Gown (LOTR)

• Green Robe (ROTS)

• ROTS outfit (SW)

• Purple Clone Wars (SW)

• Red Ballgown (Vanity Fair)

• Phantom of the Opera Dress

• Juno CanCan

• Dragon Con Suprise for Costume panel

• Dawn Costume for DC

• Mulan dress for Purim

19. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    These are what I said my 2004 projects were:

2004 Costume projects:

--Queen Amidala EP I Senate costume
    --Padme Amidala EP II Wedding dress
    --Jango Fett custom jumpsuit

Star Wars costumes:
    I had begun working on a Padme Amidala Episode II wedding dress and headpiece in 2003. I have quite a bit done on it right now.
    I am making a new and improved version of the Episode I senate costume. Currently I am searching for suitable materials. These will be for Quincy. Both of these will be extremely time-consuming projects.
    I am still going to make a ?cannon? Imperial scanning technician costume for Quincy and/or myself.
    The possibility of Snowtrooper armor has also been dancing in my head.

The new Harry Potter movie will create MANY new costuming possibilities.
    I am considering making one of the more elaborate Professor Dumbledore costumes for Vince.
    I will of course need to have a HP costume. I will continue to work on parts for Quincy?s Hogwarts school uniform.

?..and then there is the Wizard of Oz??
    A Glinda the Good Witch of the North costume is still on the horizon, but I may do one or two other characters first.

In reality........from that list I did complete:

--Padme Amidala EP II Wedding dress
    --Jango Fett custom jumpsuit

(sadly, no new Hogwarts and no new Wizard of Oz....yet)

I do have the 2004 complete list of everything I made, but that is for the 2005 costume projects thread.

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    This was my list for 2004:

My plans for 2004.

Finish the picnic dress, my time plan has always been to have it finished by May 2004 for the traditional spring ball, but now I want to have it finished by April, so that I can wear it to Jedi-Con, and finally get rid of the budget skirt and blouse. Yes it was finished for Jedi-Con

Finish another project from last year, that is to do a bag for my folk costume. Didn't finish it this year either.

Then I haven't decided what my next project will be, probably a custom jedi, TPM handmaiden or something ep.III related. I've made the TPM handmaiden battle outfit, but I need to put the lining in.

21. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I can't believe 2004 is almost over.
    I made a lot of stuff, but as usual, I didn't keep a running list.
    Right now, I just need to finish off the wedding I've been working on (only accessories are left to finish), and ring in the new year with a fresh list of ideas.
    One thing I HAVE decided on for 2005 is what this year's witch outfit will be, but the rest is still a little up in the air! [face_laugh]

22. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    OMG! I spent the entire day yesterday PLEATING!

....please kill me now....

It was ONLY the doll's dress! BUT I did get it finished, the under skirt and the pleating in the bodice. I decided (long ago) to make all of these pieces so they could stand alone, so I am not going to make short-cuts. I know that you can only see the front couple inches if the dress under the coat, but what happens when the person wearing the costume takes the coat off?

If that person is wearing a costume I made, there will be as exquisite a presentation underneath.

So it took me about 12 (or more) hours to 1/4" knife pleat about 3 yards of fabric (8" across) down to about 1 yard of pleated fabric, attatch it to the bodice construction and then take out all of the basting stitching.

It looks fabulous though.

I guess I can figure doing the same thing to the human costume will take several days.

23. Baudelaire_Babe

Baudelaire_Babe Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2005
    I couldn't agree more about the Violet Baudelaire costume - it's amazing. As a matter of fact, I've begun work on one for Collectormania in May. It's looking good so far, if I do say so myself!

24. Darth_Nevoc

Darth_Nevoc Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2004
    This will be my first venture into making my own costumes (though most of my halloween costumes have been 'homemade', they usually consisted of clothes i already had, ie: Silent Bob for two years or Kurt Cobain this year). I'm hoping I'll be able to turn it into a hobby to make my roomates think I've lost my mind. It'll also be a crash course in sewing.

Here's the list for now, however short it may be:

-Custom Jedi (i havent gotten around to the color specifics yet, but it will probably be based on Anakin's ep2 getup)
    -Custom saber (Home Depot, here I come)
    -ANH Han Solo (i dont see this being hard at all, aside from the blaster and holster which may turn out to be pricey)

Those three will be my goals for '05

In the future I'd like to throw together a basic jedi costume, a rebel pilot flightsuit and possibly a second saber (Luke's ANH saber would be my top choice to replicate).

But for now, one thing at a time.

25. teamphallucy

teamphallucy Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    O, why did I ever have to see Lemony Snicket? ;) This dress has been wracking my brain for weeks now... I'm about to go harass Colleen Atwoood myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.