main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2005 costume projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conantheking

Conantheking Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2005
    Okay, I figured out the Luke Skywalker ROTJ vest and sash look, but what material should I use for the brown robe? I do not want to use polyester because I seen it on that rubie costume (Or whatever it is called) and the material was very thin.

2. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    conan: we've got a pretty good discussion of the Luke ROTJ materials and such here in this thread. Hope you can find something that helps in there. :)

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So I was at a ball this Saturday, and this is the dress that I wore. I didn't have time to totally finish it, but I don't think anyone noticed it.

4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    I finally had the opportunity to get (us) dressed and take pictures of my Wizard of Oz group yesterday. Unfortunately, the weather was terrible. It seems some of the pictures were lost and now I am having all sorts of problems with the remaining pictures. :(

5. Conantheking

Conantheking Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2005
    Phayze: Thanks.

6. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Again, I totally love it, Obi-Anne!

7. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I finally finished writing up my reports about and editing photos of my Wizard of Oz costumes. Why does it seem like it takes longer to write about a costume than it actually takes to build it?

Whew! Now that the paperwork is done, I'll be making a few more hats and other stormie pieces while I figure out how to build my next major constructions.

8. Maulested

Maulested Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 10, 2005
    I started off working on a Sidious costume, but that's taken a backseat for my other projects... For the California Fashion Symposium in March, I'm working on a dress based on the Koyi Mateil (flesh-colored Twi'lek at the opera in Episode 3) dress, but it's pink and made out of satin. The top is the same and my teacher just told me that I'd get arrested if I wore it, so I know I'm on the right track. ; ) I'm also working on knocking off a John Galliano for Dior couture dress and working on a large art quilt with a picture of my race car on it (not Anakin, but he'll get one too). When I'm done with all of this, I really want to make a Tusken raider outfit, finish the Sidious robes (they need to be dyed again) and make one of the dresses that the girl wizards had in the latest Harry Potter. The skirt and half cape was very sexy. Perhaps the moral of this story, is don't get behind in school! : )

9. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Perhaps it should go into the 2006 folder, but I'm working on thisone in case I get to go to D*C next year. I've just gotten started looking at fabrics and such. I've got the wig, the sports bra and Ace bandages for binding, as well as the garland to add to the fur trim, plus the drumsticks, and I'm in an auction on eBay for the boots. . .of course, when the actual boots got offered on eBay, they immediately went too high for me. Anyway, I'm totally psyched about it. Just can't wait! (whatta geek I am :) )

10. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    I wore one of my projects to finish this year on the weekend:
    [image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/1876voile21.jpg] [image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/1876voile20.jpg] [image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/1876voile22.jpg]

http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/1876voile.htm for the progress photos etc.

I have also nearly finished my 1570s Westfalen dress, the pink linen dress for an SCA event soon. The outer dress just needs lacing rings sewn in and the skirt sewn to the waist band.
    Then the underdress needs the skirt hemmed and sewn together. I don't think I'll have time to get the stripes sewn on as the linen creeps like mad. It will be sewn by machine, even if I use a topstitch. But the top stitching will be done with a very short stitch so it isn't so obvious. It will mean needing to go slowly and making no mistakes though as they'll not be fun to unpick;)

I have a few pojects for next year. And the year after;)

11. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Nice work, Neimheille! It looks beautiful! Just a quick critique of your site. Have a look at the links on the thumbnails, the first two appear to be switched, they link to one another, so you might want to fix that. Otherwise, it's gorgeous. Good luck in the competition.

12. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I recently put the finishing touches on my jedi costume. I made a new robe from wool, and I made a new belt as well. I think this costume is finally finished! Pics

13. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Nice new robe Starfire-Phoenix!! It hangs beautifully!

14. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I FINALLY figured out how to use our "new" (one year old) digital camera and post pictures.

Here are a few pictures of my Wizard of Oz costumes:

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/Img_0113.jpg]

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/Img_0102.jpg]

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/Img_0101.jpg]

THe Glynda gown I did make for Quincy, but we needed to get our neighbor to model it so I could get pictures of all 3 costumes together. Quincy is a little taller and a bit more slender that our neighbor, so the gown doesn't lay as well on her. I wanted to take the pictures in natural light. We took those pictures about a month ago, before it started to get very cold & snow here. I did later have Quincy model Glynda later that same day, but all of those pictures got messed up.

15. electrakitty

Apr 27, 2005
    Those Oz costumes are really cute! Well done ;)

16. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    ha! awesome Oz costumes! I remember a few years ago my whole family went as the WoO crew. we had Dorothy, Scarecrow, Lion, Wicked Witch and Glynda. We were going to have a Tin Man, too, but my (now) mother-in-law backed out on us.

I was the scarecrow, so I spent that whole Halloween stumbing around while everyone else skipped. :p

I'm thinking about convincing the fam to do a group Alice in Wonderland costume one of these years, just so I can be the Mad Hatter.

17. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Thanks electrakitty, I recently discovered that nothing beats wool ;) Lucky for me it was on sale :)

Nostradamus, your oz costumes are gorgeous! :)

18. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Thanks for the nice compliments! :)

THe Scarecrow, Tinman and maybe even the Cowardly Lion costumes are a possibility for someday..............I need to find the bodies to make them for though!
    I did finish off three IMperial hats and 4 neckseals in the past couple days.
    I've had a request for an ARC trooper pauldron and an other secret project...............................................
    I ALWAYS have several (dozen) projects going at any given time.
    WE saw Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire twice in the last couple weeks. Dumbledor.............Dumbledor. That seems to be the costume subject I would most like to work on. And I do have some more doll ideas.

I did finally get some pictures taken and posted of my Queen Amidala Episode I Senate Address doll:

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/Img_0023.jpg]
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/Img_0026.jpg]
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/Img_0028.jpg]
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/Img_0029.jpg]

Maybe I can get some new pictures of the full-sized one on Quincy again some time. Now that I finally am figuring out how to use the camera. :p

19. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    Wow! Christmas is THIS WEEK!

The past few weeks I needed to build one specific Imperial hat, so I made 3. One did turn out with in the desired parameter.
    I was able to locate some more material for neckseals, so I made 4 of those too.
    Right now I have 4 more Imperial hats under construction.

Next project commission is a part of a secret costume for some one locally. I need to pick up some proper thread before I can work on it.
    ;)

I also had a request for an EP III Clone pauldron. Right now I am busy doing some research on that.

I am starting to figure out what possible custome projects will get on board for 2006 by trying to figure out what I have already made this year. Stay tuned.

20. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I made a snowtrooper coat!

I started on this mostly because I need the remnants of the fabric to make a couple quick holiday gifts out of. (still gotta do that today)
    I used something called 'sherpa' in natural which is nubbly on one side and smoother on the other. The smoother side is nearly identical to the regular fleece that is currently available at mose fabric stores. I made this nubbly-side out.
    I built a neckseal out of natural cotton canvas & natural fleece that I incorporated as the collar of the coat. I used an XL sweat shirt as the basis of my 'pattern' and to scale the pieces. The knit material I am using would lend itself more to a sweatshirt application than to a traditional trench-coat pattern.
    I was unable to find rib-knit to make cuffs out of, so I used folded over some natural regular fleece as cuffs.
    I've completed it as much as I can with out having the rest of the armor available. One thing that I may need to alter is the lower front opening. I wasn't sure how 'open' this would need to be. I have more 'trunkspace' so the width of the tail will be more 'open' on me than it will be on my husband or on the hanger.
    Once the cod piece is under the coat, the opening will expand further and the waist line of the coat would be altered. This will need belt loops. I would need to know exactly where the belt would sit before I could sew those in place. They would be easy enough to move if necessary. Once the belt & belt armor & codpiece are in place though, the front of the coat should stay closed.
    I serged the lower front opening & lower edge. I tried to hem it over to the front, but it got way too bulky-looking. They material stretched slightly too while I was manipulting it. Double-fold bias tape might make a nice edge, but until the shape of the front is completely settled, I wouldn't want to do that. It would take some work to remove and redo.
    I am surprised though that the "rough" serger looks pretty good as is! Since the material has so much volume, it doesn't go through the serger's feed dogs very quickly, so the threads fall very close together. It almost looks like a mallowed edge that is common to machine embroidery (like logo patches)
    I have not put in any closure down the front yet. I did place Velcro on the neckseal/collar and that is nicely holding the whole thing in place right now. It may not need further fasteners after all of the armor pieces are in place.

So, does it look like a snowtrooper coat?
    I hadn't told my husband that I was making this nor had I showed him any of the fabric. My husband recognized what it was instantly when I was wearing it yesterday. I wore the coat all night while we were playing battlefront II. I was wondering how the neckseal-styled collar would wear. It was actually quite comfortable & supportive!

I'll try to take some pictures today.

21. ishtarskywalker

ishtarskywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    Wow, Nostradamus, it sounds really neat.=D= I can't wait to see pictures. I wish I were as prolific as you when it comes to costume-making. I keep telling myself I'll get faster, especially when I get a sewing machine.;)

22. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I started on the snowtrooper coat last week mostly because I needed the remnants of the fabric to make a couple quick holiday gifts on Christmas Eve.
    I used something called 'sherpa' in natural which is nubbly on one side and smoother on the other. The smoother side is nearly identical to the regular fleece that is currently available at mose fabric stores. I made this nubbly-side out.
    I built a neckseal out of natural cotton canvas & natural fleece that I incorporated as the collar of the coat. I used an XL sweat shirt as the basis of my 'pattern' and to scale the pieces. The knit material I am using would lend itself more to a sweatshirt application than to a traditional trench-coat pattern.
    I was unable to find rib-knit to make cuffs out of, so I used folded over some natural regular fleece as cuffs.
    I've completed it as much as I can with out having the rest of the armor available. One thing that I may need to alter is the lower front opening. I wasn't sure how 'open' this would need to be. I have more 'trunkspace' so the width of the tail will be more 'open' on me than it will be on my husband or on the hanger.
    Once the cod piece is under the coat, the opening will expand further and the waist line of the coat would be altered. This will need belt loops. I would need to know exactly where the belt would sit before I could sew those in place. They would be easy enough to move if necessary. Once the belt & belt armor & codpiece are in place though, the front of the coat should stay closed.
    I serged the lower front opening & lower edge. I tried to hem it over to the front, but it got way too bulky-looking. They material stretched slightly too while I was manipulting it. Double-fold bias tape might make a nice edge, but until the shape of the front is completely settled, I wouldn't want to do that. It would take some work to remove and redo.
    I am surprised though that the "rough" serger looks pretty good as is! Since the material has so much volume, it doesn't go through the serger's feed dogs very quickly, so the threads fall very close together. It almost looks like a mallowed edge that is common to machine embroidery (like logo patches)
    I have not put in any closure down the front yet. I did place Velcro on the neckseal/collar and that is nicely holding the whole thing in place right now. It may not need further fasteners after all of the armor pieces are in place.

So, does it look like a snowtrooper coat?
    I hadn't told my husband that I was making this nor had I showed him any of the fabric. My husband recognized what it was instantly when I was wearing it. I wore the coat all night while we were playing battlefront II. I was wondering how the neckseal-styled collar would wear. It was actually quite comfortable & supportive!

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/snowtrooper%20coat/Img_0064.jpg]

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/snowtrooper%20coat/Img_0059.jpg]

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c65/TKvanB/snowtrooper%20coat/Img_0062.jpg]

I also ended up making 11 different winter hats for gifts over the weekend.

23. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Jeez Nos!! You never cease to amaze me. You're just a machine when it comes to costumes!! :)

24. Queen_Apailana

Queen_Apailana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Nos your skills amaze me Quincy is ucky to have you as a mom.

2005 is almost over a 2006 Costume Project thread will be starting soon.

25. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    I spent the past few days trying to figure out what I have been able to make this year. I'm surprised that the list is so long! It seemed like I hardly did as much sewing & costume making as I had done in the previous years, just because this past year was so busy with costuming events.

.......and I did start on some little doll-sized winter hats and a coat the night before last. I'm not liking how the collar is turning out, so I need to take it apart. I put it aside for the time being.

2006 costume projects coming soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.