main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2005 costume projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedilucass

jedilucass Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2002
    Sola, it looks great! And congrats on making the hairpiece look good!

~Laura

2. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Beautiful job, Sister Sola!

3. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Thanks you guys!

Benae, for keeping the hairpiece on, I sewed a trim on the inside of the base, the part that goes over my own hair in a bun. I don't know why I didn't take a picture of that also.

The trim has little loops at 1.5" intervals, and those can sit outside the opening, flat against my head/hair, and then I used those tiny clips to grab the loop and my hair. You can see the clips better in this picture:

[image=http://www.sistersola.com/Jan-9-05-009.jpg]

I think I'll use tortoiseshell clips next time though, so they hopefully won't show up as much. Bobby pins wouldn't be strong enough, as the thing is somewhat heavy.

4. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    You look terrific, Sola!! I love how it turned out! :)

5. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Thats a good idea :) I've been thinking all day (even got slightly distracted at work [face_blush]) about how to keep it on my head. Thanks for the little tip :D

6. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Yes, that's the part that was intimidating me the most - which is why I left it till last! :p

I'll take a pic of the bottom tonight.

Maggie - thanks!

7. teamphallucy

teamphallucy Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2005
    Wow... heh, well I suppose I'll stand (er sit) here in something akin to awe ;) Naboo_Girl--absolutely 'scrumtrulescent,' if I may add, rendering of the PotC dress. Tres fabuleuse. Also the Moulin Rouge opening sequence outfit I saw (don't remember the username, sorry-mind like a sieve), again, with the fabuleuse-ness. [I would love myself to be able to recreate some of my personal 'favorites' I've seen over time, but I guess being a poor student who's never received the sewing machine she's asked for doesn't really do the trick... So far I've only sewn a few dresses, piles of doll clothes, miscellaneous bags/pillows/etc., and my 'evil Willow' costume (all handsewn=for days).] Well I will just bask in the insane creativity then... hope for a project on this year's list(!)

8. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Sola it's a wonderful costume!

And most of the time with Padmé costuming I think that the hair is the biggest problem, either getting it right or attaching it to your head.

9. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Here's the trim that helps it to stay on:

[image=http://sistersola.com/Extras/boards/Jan-10-05-003.jpg]

10. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Weeeee my photographer arrived :D
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/cotumes/large/red%20shot%201.jpg]
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/cotumes/large/red%20shot%202.jpg]
    I look like I'm floating LOL He took the pictures on a shadowless white background. Unfortunately the dress isn't tight enough around the middle, making me look fat.

11. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    You all have such beautiful costumes!!! I've been inspired to crack down on mine :D

12. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    This afternoon I attached the sleeve constructions to the yoke and collar construction of the EP I Senate costume under dress. I sewed the lining and zipper in by hand yesterday. Then I finished the insides of the armhole with bias tape. It is finally able to be hung on a hanger.
    I spent a little time reading about pleating and if there is any way to make it easer to do. My sewing machine does have a pleating attachment, but I have never used it before. I guess this is a good time to figure out how to use it and see whether or not it will help. I know it will only put pleats in (evenly) at the edge of the fabric, I will still have to make the folds down the entire length of the fabric. Argh.
    But the part that is completed looks really, rally nice. That will inspire me to make the rest of it look as nice.

13. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Casandra beautiful Purple Padme:)

I can imagine sewing all the sections of the skirt was... fun....

Voile Dress is going... it's happening.

Just have to put in the sleeves, hooks and eyes, and hem the bottom... and gatehr the shoukders;)

Got the bonnet of silliness done though
    [image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/bonnet8.jpg]

And beautiful lavender flavoured lemonade made as well ;)

14. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I love that silly bonnet!
    It looks like some sort of wacky (and pretty!) floral halo!
    [face_laugh]

15. zamweasel

zamweasel Jedi Master star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    2004 was a strange year for me productivity wise.

It was the year I started veterinary school so it was a little bit like half a year. It was also the year I built Nightcrawler which was kind of all consuming for a good 4 months. I also spent an entire month in the hospital.

If you do the math, you get:

1) Nightcrawler
    2) Illyria (for cutest sandgirl)
    3) 2 Hogwarts uniforms
    4) pirate frock coat
    5) popeye (for the 3 year old son of a friend)

for 2004.

Not a big year, and Nightcrawler was definitely the highlight. I won Best in Class Novice at Convergence and Archon. The craziest was winning Best in SHOW for Workmanship at Archon. I couldn't believe it. I just stood there as if there was some other Nightcrawler that must have been in the contest and finally Steve Swope was like "That's you, go!" and pushed me on stage.

Being that I am still in vet school, I'm not expecting to do anything exciting in 2005. My meager plans are:

1) fix my Nightcrawler feet so that kids don't keep breaking the toenails.
    2) Repair child inflicted damage to Nightcrawler tail

Okay, so volunteering at the Museum of Science and Industry was a little rough on my costume... But there you have it. Now the sappy stuff: I knew that when I started vet school I would have to curtail my involvement in this hobby so every costume I built and every trip I took last year was special. Thanks to so many of you who've shared the experience with me. It's been great.

-e

16. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    I'll say it again emily, your Nightcrawler was phenomenal!!! Good luck in school this year, and do come and visit us here from time to time!

michaela - I love the cute bonnet!!!

17. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Zam: again, having seen Nightcrawler in person, it IS fantastic. It was great having met you at ComicCon last year.

Good luck with vet school this year.

CIII????

18. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    '05 costume list -

Things I >WILL< do :
    - Finish prequel-era Jedi (should be done by C3 at the latest - I've got everything I need for it)
    - TK armor mods, particularly a good suspender setup for the thigh pieces and a fan rig for the helmet. Possibly also a voice-amp and aerator speakers built into the helmet?
    - Custom saber for Jedi, using EL kits previously obtained.
    - Imperial Officer (I'm cheating on this one - someone's making it for me, and it should be enroute shortly. Need different boots, though)

Things I'd >LIKE< to do :
    - Still thinking of a New Jedi Order-era custom Jedi.
    - Matrix agent.
    - Matrix human (in-Matrix, not "real-world") - I just really like the coats :).
    - Predator costume. I figure I will get started on it, but there's so much to it that I doubt that it'll be done this year.
    - Acquire second (and maybe 3rd) Vader bodysuit
    - Paint Vader armor and helmet in subdued 2-tone scheme.
    - Come up with a costume to go with the Cat-person prosthetic facepieces I got from The Scream Team last year. I do really well with their vampire piece (Immortal, their new one - it's GREAT!). Need a costume, cat-eye contacts, claws...

I'll probably come up with other stuff to do, I'm sure, but that's the short list, anyways.

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrison Tyranus

19. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    love that bonnet :) great job on your costumes sister sola and Benae_Quee

20. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    ......an emergency costuming project the night before last caused me to change the thread in my serger from the orange palette to cranberry.

Rather than change it back and begin the arduous pleating project, I decided to begin on the coat for the EP I Senate costume.

I made tons of progress on the body of the coat yesterday. I have the sleeves made and the first one pinned in, but I don't like how it's sitting in there. I am going to widen the armholes more.

After the construction is complete, I can begin to sew on all of the spiral 'roses', the 'crunchy' velvet at the shoulders and bottom front sides by hand. Then I will sew on the braided gold cording by hand. Then I will make the interesting bands of trim for the cuffs and front opening. Then I will figure out how to hem it and work on the doll version.

21. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Wow - everyone's costumes look great! The bonnet is so cute! And your hairdo piece is awesome, Sista Sola!

:)

ecila

22. Nostradamus

Mar 2, 2000
    The sleeves are in and the seams are finished. I sewed 3 'roses' on to one sleeve. This is going to take a while.

23. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Wow, everyone's costumes look so great :) Sister_Sola, your dress is beautiful!

Well I finally broke down at bought a serger today. Now to learn to use the thing.

24. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Sola, I am late on this, but you look great!

25. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    *kerflump*

'tis done. Well I need to pipe the bottom of the bodice properly, it is just machine sewn in place, so I need to undo a row of stitches and replace them with either herringbone or whip stitching.

[image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/voile8.jpg]
    [image=http://costumes.glittersweet.com/historical/voile11.jpg]

the bonnet looks much less silly in the right setting ;)

More photos and info.

The bridesmaid dress I wore on Saturday can now be seen in the top right of the first photo of the green twill mock up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.