main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2005 costume projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cal196

cal196 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2004
    http://forums.thedentedhelmet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=556

Hmm well I dont know if this will show probubly not, but This is my armor.

2. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey kids. Miss me? I've missed you! ;) Was doing a search on a random costume today and google pulled up this thread so I thought I'd pop in and say hello.

Finished projects in 2004:

-Lots of medieval garb (got involved with the sca)

-Elizabeths gold gown (PotC)

-Jack Sparrow (PotC)

-Claudia (Interview with a Vampire)

-The 'Just Breathe' Gown (Ever After) (This was really 'finished in 2005 but only a few days into it so I count it as a 2004 project.)

I've made a couple of other things I dont have listed on my site for various customers but mostly Rocky Horror type stuff with a few LotR gowns thrown in there.

Plans for 2005:

- Re-do Elizabeth stomacher (I only got to start on it the day before I had to wear it; I've started in on a fully embroidered version of it along with a redo of the hat)

- Add lower sleeve decorations to Ever After gown

- Fix up my Black Diamonds costume (just in case for DC)

- Lots more medieval costumes; drafted a pattern (with help from an experienced friend) for a medeival coteharie like this one(please excuse the terrible photo; it was midnight after hours and hours of sewing so no makeup was in sight. ;) ) and will be making many more in many color combinations. Also need to make a few bellydance costumes; joined a new studio which is working out really well!

- Medieval horse barding (I got a horse in August of 2004 and he needs costumes to match me! ;)

- Sarah's ballgown from Labyrinth (this is a 'maybe' costume; I don't know if I will do this one yet but I have the materials!)

- Mina's red dinner gown from Brahm Stokers Dracula

- The grey London suit from Dracula (for my boyfriend) These two costumes will be completed for Halloween and before DragonCon if we can make it.

- I've gone and fallen in love with the white 'Wishing' gown from the new version of Phantom. Funnily enough I haven't even seen the movie yet (I know, I know; it's on my calendar for this week!) but a customer inquired about the Masquerade gown and when researching pictures I swooned over the white one. I'd like to make this for DragonCon

- Another Victorian gown (haven't figured out the details yet but I'm in need of some bustle action) ;)

K. I think thats it. ;)

3. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Crimson Vision?Your costumes are marvelous! I love the Victorian ones and your Elizabeth gown is great! I can't wait to see the new embroidery on the stomacher. If you need the embroidery pattern for it, I have one I made up for mine on my website.

4. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Naboo_Girl; your costume is gorgeous! The stomacher is perfect! Iv'e already started the second one but this guide youve made will be extreemly helpful! I am envious of your necklace; I searched for months and months to find the approptiate chain so I could add the pearls with no luck. Bah! And your hat is great! Love the tap light idea; I'm so using that. ;)

I could go on and on about the costumes on your site; I spent about an hour on there jsut now looking at em. ;) Love finding awesome costumers I hadn't seen before. :)

Oh and btw I think my next victorian gown's color has been decided; I went out fabric shopping today at lunch and found almost 15 yards of royal blye taffeta (the good kind!) for $3 a yard! It was on sale, Yay!

5. Naboo_Girl

Naboo_Girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2003
    Thanks! [face_blush]

Finding the chain took more time than making the costume and it's still not right. LOL I ended up finding a necklace at a thrift store that I use the chain from. I did find the exact chain with the studs and everything at Target, but it was a silver belt and had way to big of links for a necklace. I was tempted though. :p

What a great find on fabric!!! I'm jealous. LOL I love Victorian gowns; they're so beautiful with the way the fabric drapes. I wish they didn't use so much yardage though; it's hard to find that much on a bolt of fabric anymore.

6. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Oh! I remember that belt at target! Funny, I never even thought of it for that!

Yep, I was excited about the taffeta. It has some small flaws in it which is why it was marked down but they are few and far between!

7. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Hey Crimson. :)

Pretty pretty costumes I see from your endeavors last year. Wheeeeeeeeeee!

8. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Hiya Dawn! Same to you pretty lady! :) I didn't know you made the Janice costume! Man, I wish I could have seen taht in person!

And of course I love your requiem gown. You look so beautiful in it!

9. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Hey Crimson we missed you here!

Stunning costumes from last year! Love 'em love 'em love 'em!

10. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    CV!!!! Welcome back :)

Trying to be a copycat and come back just like i recently did eh? lol.

Its good to have you back :)

As always I've jumped right into costuming. Finished 1 last week, 45% done with the current one :)

11. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Sola - Good to see you! Loved your DC pics form last year; your Schoolgirl was awesome! :) Can't wait to see the rehersal gown this year; thats always been one of my favortie dresses!! And you get to wear the headpiece! ;)

Samantha - Heehee, yep I was copyting you. ;) So what project did you finish and what are you working on now? Or did I miss the post where you talked about it?

12. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    I just finished one of the Ep3 blue padme nightgowns, and I am 50% done with the Ep3 Padme green robe.

I woke up last week and went "Wow C3 is real soon, i better make some new costumes" and off i went and they are almost done now :)

13. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Hello All!

I'm brand-new to this whole world of costuming, etc... but I've finally taken the plunge. Never having sewn a project in all my 25 years, I am just learning to sew right now. My mom bought me a sewing machine this year for Christmas, and I've done a couple simple projects since then (an apron and a pair of pyjamas), but there are less than 100 days before ROTS opens, and I've simply GOT to have Jedi Robes before then! That being said, I've begun to sew a set of Jedi Robes by first creating a muslin. I've posted some pics online:

Polyester Padawan: The Muslin

It's really rough (as muslins tend to be! :p) but I just thought I'd share.

If all goes well with this one, I'll be starting on a Barris Offee costume to wear to WesterCon here in Calgary this July, and then perhaps a Mina Harker costume before Halloween. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, though...

Cheers!

~ Raelyn

14. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    Looks great so far :)

15. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    That's looking great so far :)

16. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Nice job! Welcome to the world of costuming! You're going to like it here.

17. BellaSabrina

BellaSabrina Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    looking good!!!

18. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    " I've gone and fallen in love with the white 'Wishing' gown from the new version of Phantom. Funnily enough I haven't even seen the movie yet (I know, I know; it's on my calendar for this week!) but a customer inquired about the Masquerade gown and when researching pictures I swooned over the white one. I'd like to make this for DragonCon "

Sweetie, the wishing gown is black;) I may not be keen on the costuems, but this little chickie is obsessed over the sho in general;) *cough not that I sand much of the score at an SCA event after hours or anything... cough.... cough...*

Do you mean the Wedding gown or the dressing gown?

I think the dressing gown is based on a photo of Sarah Bernhardt, in outline and effect it has the same shape and texture. The only real difference is the act that Christine's is made to be several layers while SB's is a two part gown;)

I got my Evil and cruel orange and blue German garb done, and now have a few cunning plans for the coming year;)

Late 16thC German, based on a trachtenbuch and some paintings by a certain painter. I'll be aiming for a middle class look as I need to make it easily wearable. Curses for being a bloody minded gimp who won't ask for help!

Then there is a Queenie outfit, for I have been discovered to be a mimic of Mad Queen Bess a la Blackadder II. Must go get that dvd tonight I htink...

And then there is the making up of the PINK linen into a Cranach Judith painting (overdyed) as I have a cunning plan to cook up with my Bernard for another bit of SCA fun.

I also got my Lizzie fabric!

My favourite dress in P&P (2nd BBC version) is the stripey muslin Lizzy wore when she bumped into Darcy at Pemberley:) ANd now I have the muslin to make it:) Plus I have a nice mustard wool I can make her spencer from:)

ANd 3m or super fine linen to make into a shift or several partlets and possibly an apron.

19. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Thank you, liannb, Benae Quee, BellaSabrina, and Sister Sola!

I'm light years (or is it parsecs? :p) behind you all, and may I say, I thoroughly enjoy browsing your various costuming web pages. I'm jealous, but I know that I'm just starting, and that a Rainbow dress or a Picnic dress is possible only after much more experience and learning on my part.

Keep sharing those projects, everyone! It's so much fun to see what others are up to!

~ Raelyn

20. CrimsonVision

Sep 4, 2002
    Sweetie, the wishing gown is black;)

LOL, shows what I know! Like I said I haven't seen the movie yet.

I think I meant the 'Think of Me' dress? The white one, I don't frikkin know! lol! ;)

This dress

I think this might have to go on the back burner; I've another project thats come up. More on that later!

21. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Grin, never fear the Pahntom freak is here;)

Yep, her Think of Me gown, also known as the Elissa gown as she sings it in character as Elissa from the "opera" Hannibal:)

Why they chose the Sisi dress to copy for this I do not know... it's a gaudy "opera" ;)

Pretty frock though:)

Hmmm... I just realised how similar in sentiment.. ish the two main songs she sings actually are.. both are about loss.

I'm all about Carlotta's Elissa dress.. "and... I 'ate my 'at!" Love her.

"'E loveh meh, 'e loveh meh!"

22. StormXPadme

StormXPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    well my 2005 (of course for the ROTS premier, we're camping at the cinema for a week) projects are:

Padmé
    - Pastel Lake Gown
    - Fireside Corset Gown
    - White Battle Outfit

Pastel Lake Gown:
    Ferd is doing that one for me *huggles*, including the headpieces. A friend of mine is doing the armbands for me right now, real metal :D. I'll paint them then. Already have the shoes, they're so lovely! I have them openly on a board in my apartment, so everytime I want to get lazy with my fitnesscenter training, I'll be reminded of the dress, I want to wear for the ROTS premier for 2 years now :D.
    Finishing date: April 2005

White Battle Outfit:
    I already have trousers (2 of them, because I'll wear the outfit 4 of 6 days) and the shirt. My auntie did the cape for me for my birthday, it looks great. :) Once I'm done with getting myself in shape LOL (from what it looks like the end of this month), a friend of my boss gets my faux leather and we'll do the belt and the shinguards together. I've ordered fitting shoes from e-bay just today, depending on how much the leather will match I'll perhaps have to paint them. The armbands are done metal from the same guy that does the leather and the Pastel Lake Gown armbands right now.
    Finishing date: March 2005

Corset Fireside Gown:
    A key/locks shop in my hometown cut and shaped my headpiece and made wholes in it so it'll stay in place. Another friend of mine comes visiting me around easter, and we'll do the skirt together. I'm desperately searching for a right fabric right now, though :(. Already have the pattern. I got the feaux leather for christmas. Mid of may yet another friend of mine will do my corset and the gauntlets. My auntie who did the battle outfite cape also cut and sewed my my scarf, I put the beads on it myself. It's already finished for a year.

I've worn an improvized version of my gown on my brother's wedding last April. It's improvised because the skirt is horrible, the corset isn't the correc material (it doesn't show on the picture, though), the gauntlets were wrong material and wrong shape... all improvised but the headpiece and the scarf. but you get the idea where I'm heading :).
    http://mitglied.lycos.de/stormxpadme/collage.jpg

Finishing date: March 2005

well that's it for now, I'll keep you updated :D

23. Aranelonline

Aranelonline Jedi Youngling

Feb 20, 2005
    Well i just started costuming last year, but i dove right in.
    Completed costumes in 2004:
    Green Elven Gown
    Turned Green Elven gown to Eowyn's Green Dress
    Eowyn's Shieldmaiden dress
    Rosie Cotton's Finale dress
    Black Cloak

Plans for 2005:
    Finish Arwen's Coronation's dress
    Finish Padme Picnic
    My "Farawyn" costume
    Finish pirate costume
    Finish fellowship cloak
    Ever After type dress
    Harry Potter robe for friend
    Violet's dress or cloak from A series of Unfortuante Events

Actually, I'mm be lucky to get most of these done. But I'm going to try!

24. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    I've been busy lately getting out from under governmental control (!yay!) and setting up a website on my new domain. Everyone go check out the work-in-progress at http://www.costumebeginner.com/ ! I've gotten up quite a bit of info on POTO under research, and my big corsetry paper is slowly going up under corsetry. After I finish those, I hope to work on a *costuming 101* page for people that have never even seen a sewing machine. It'll hopefully morph into a Dragon*Con panel later on :D. Also I'm spearheading the group to *finally* get up a comprehensive Harry Potter costume research site, so I'll be busy with that. I've also done four or five corsets and started mock-ups for the "Think of Me" gown and a dress from Vanity Fair.

25. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    It's taken me forever, but I finished Jada_Krayden's JEdi cloak. He wanted it in Ep II Anakin style but in black, and after setting the costume aside for tests, work, school, more immediate projects, I've finished it.

Front View
    [image=http://tn1.deviantart.com/300W/fs6.deviantart.com/i/2005/052/4/4/Danny__s_Cloak_Front_by_FenigDurak.jpg]

Back View
    [image=http://tn1.deviantart.com/300W/fs6.deviantart.com/i/2005/051/d/f/Danny__s_Cloak_by_FenigDurak.jpg]

Side View
    [image=http://tn8.deviantart.com/300W/fs6.deviantart.com/i/2005/052/1/b/Danny__s_Cloak_Side_by_FenigDurak.jpg]

Apologies on the poor pictures, I'm in the process of getting a better camera, and some more lamps for my apartment. Stupid 1950s ambiant lighting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.