1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Gold Coast (8th-10th April), Melbourne (15th-17th November)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (2nd-3rd April), Adelaide (9th-10th April)

FF:NZ 2005 Election: Who will you give your party vote to?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Aug 18, 2005.

?

2005 Election: Who will you give your party vote to?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2005.
ACT 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Green Party 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Jim Anderton's Progressive Coalition 1 vote(s) 14.3%
Labour Party 4 vote(s) 57.1%
Maori Party 0 vote(s) 0.0%
National Party 1 vote(s) 14.3%
New Zealand First 0 vote(s) 0.0%
United Future 1 vote(s) 14.3%
(some other party not listed) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    fair points Graal, but can you honestly say that you think that, should marajuana be legalised, the dealers would go and get "honest" jobs just because they can't sell it any more?
  2. Darth_Graal Jedi Master

star 4
    nope I can't say that I do, but that wasn't my point.

It is a little like prostitiution in that once it is legalized it can be legislated, dealers would have to pay tax as do prostitutes, I'm sure K road or manchester st aren't prostitute free now that prostitution is legal either.:)
    If you can grow your own @ home and pay a licensing fee the need for dealers decreases.
    Maybe those dealers would move on to pushing harder drugs, but who can say. If the penalties for harder drugs were increased and policed with the additional $18 million currently spent on policing marijuana not to mention the additional potential $50 million revenues gained from licensing growers and taxing the sale of marijuana perhaps we could eliminate them.

consider these points from the 1998 report

"New Zealand has:
    (1) a relatively small population, (2) no contiguous borders (e.g., low potential for smuggling or problematic drug tourism); (3) climate and soil conditions conducive to cannabis growing in most areas of the country, (4) a history of social innovation, and (5) a low rate of use of heroin and cocaine relative to other OECD countries. Indeed, some observers attribute this low rate of hard drug use to the ready availability of cannabis, which reduces the incentive to use other drugs (i.e., cannabis is much preferred by most people)."

and unfortunately the green party is the only one willing to address the Issue.
  3. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd argue that the conditions for prostitutes is no better now than it was before it was legalised. Drive around somewhere like Hunters Corner at night and see the 14 year old girls hanging out there at night selling sex. It's not like the sex industry is all squeaky clean now. There are still plenty of dodgy people making a hell of a lot of money off the sex trade, and those people aren't usually the women working as prostitutes.

(I should point out I'm really only playing devil's advocate here. I'm not particularly against marajuana being decriminalised. But I still think it's a stupid substance to take. But then, i don't drink or smoke either, for the same reasons.)
  4. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Me too really. I have nothing against people who smoke or take drugs, it's just not my thing.

I mean, consenting adults should be able to grow a small amount for personal reasons. I think that's valid. Like home brew beer I guess... but I just don't think it's necessary. Those who are going to smoke it, will. Legal or illegal. I think the irresponsible people who will be allowed to grow 'for personal use' (who may not be growing any now), may see a chance to make some easy money off kids and abuse the ability to grow it.

/shrugs/

Bearing in minds I've read no policies, and know very little about drugs/drug use and the like.

See now Brash is backing out of his Tax Policies. Saying, that to get a coelition (SP?), he wont rule out altering his policy. hmmmmmmm Com'on Winston, you've come a long way mate, don't be a fool and jump into bed with Brash!!!

edit; at least he's smart enough to say that he's not going to support either until either party's tax / student loan policies are calculated properly and are feesible.
  5. solo77 Chosen One

star 5
    Helen is not a WOMAN you don't have to go easy on her Don!
  6. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What a plonker he is.

He just doesn't have the spine that Helen does, and what a PM should have.
  7. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    well, this forum sure is pumping right now, isn't it?
  8. solo77 Chosen One

star 5
    Hell yeah, go politics, woohoo [face_dancing]
  9. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I was going to post something along the lines of this tonight:

{que tumbleweed, chirping cricket and howling dog}

I was walking through West City the other day and spotted a fairly decent young lady. Made eye contact, was like "hmmmm" then saw a thumping great NATIONAL badge on her chest (cause my eye's tend to wander" - got roped into a discussion before I had the guts to say, "ok - thanks. Bye now."

10. Kitt327 Force Ghost

star 4
    My brother claims to be voting for the Maori party. I said today that they have basically shot themselves in the foot with their comments about Donna Awatere's treatment being racist, and he accused me of "falling prey to the NZ Herald's attempts to render them irrelevant" [face_talk_hand]

But it is funny how people see different bias' in the media. I was the thinking the NZ Herald's headline the other day about 'Brash's knife hovers over the [various government departments]' was pretty bias, because knife is such a harsh word, with violent connotations. And I'm not a Brash supporter, by any means.

11. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah, that's just bollocks. I was actually thinking of voting Maori atone point, because I think it's fantastic that Maoridom could actually have real power in this country. (It's certainy a more appealing propositon than someone like Gerry Browlee think he knows what's best!) But it irritates me when anyone who puts the actions of any Maori under scrutiny is immediately labelled a "Maori-basher". What Donna Awatere was doing was essentially stealing public money earmarked for poor Maori kids and using it to fund her lifestyle. Where's the mana in that? If she were Pakeha, Maori would be calling for her head.
  12. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Anyone else had the 'pleasure' of hearing some of the CD the Greens have put out? OMG. [face_plain] I heard a small amount from the two 'tracks' Nandor has and a bit of a poem by a woman from the party.

What a shocker. :s
  13. solo77 Chosen One

star 5
    ^^ ****** hippies!!

I wanna walk up behind Nandor and cut off one of his dreads and then be like 'what you gonna do about that freak', mwhahahahahaha.

Anyhoo, i just LOVE that National advert that is like SouthParkm, it's soooooooooo funny, lmao!!

~ :rolleyes: ~
  14. Kitt327 Force Ghost

star 4
    I have yet to see a political billboard or ad that I have liked.

Apart from those ones spoofing politics, like the Tui billboards.
  15. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    although the Tui ads would be funnier (and moe accurate) if they used actual party policies or slogans.
  16. solo77 Chosen One

star 5
    So i see Winston says he isn't gonna go into coalition with either of the majo parties!

WTH is up with that???
  17. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 10
    If he says he's coing into coalition with Labour, he loses all right-leaning voters who will instead vote national. And vice-versa. His neck is on the line with the pssibility of losing Tauranga and not making 5% party vote. So he's trying to save his own job by helping keep both his left and right leaning supporters voting for him / his party.

Anyone seen this yet? http://www.gonebylunchtime.com

Kind of amusing, but the points they're trying to make are kind of lost.

What I find most, uhh, interesting is the utter lack of concrete policy coming out of National or direction shown by Brash. He doesn't know what other national members are saying (forests, housing), and almost all their policies are simply "We will review it".
  18. Kitt327 Force Ghost

star 4
    heh heh, I love flash.

So, only ten days to the election and it seems very close at the moment ... some polls are saying National is in the lead, while others are saying Labour.
  19. Kitt327 Force Ghost

star 4
    Today is the day, people! Eight hours, 15 mins left to vote ...
  20. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Landslide labour victory would be great and without Greens forcing Labour to have Fitzy as Minister of Transport.
  21. Kitt327 Force Ghost

star 4
    If anyone wins in a landslide, the election will have been fixed :) It's going to be close according to the polls. But hopefully not a repeat of that 1993 hung parliament.
  22. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    http://www.electionresults.govt.nz/partystatus.html

I'm not sure if anyone else watched Campbell last night, but was he on scotch or what? He was a bit loopy, that's for sure. I watched till about 12:30am and I have to say Hellen did a good job of keeping thing open for talks to Winston, which is what she needs, plus greens and Jim, to get over that 61 seat threshold. If she looses NZ1st, they are both at 61 seats and the country will be back at it in 12months, and NO ONE will want that. So it's completely up to Mr Peters, and it's going to be on his shoulders wether the country has a govt, or we go back to the polls. People will hate him if we go back. :p

(oh, and I was never serious about a landslide kitt :p)
  23. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    wow, mark up codes are cool. I didn't even try and make a url link, I just posted the http address and it did it magic-like :p :D
  24. Kitt327 Force Ghost

star 4
    So now we have a new government ... what are the bets on it lasting a year?

What's up with Winston Peters as foreign minister? I guess we should be grateful he's not immigration minister.
  25. solo77 Chosen One

star 5
    What a load of BS this is!

I'm so ****** off that Labour got in again [face_frustrated]

Oh yeah and just watch Winston out his foot in his mouth multiple times, great idea having the man who is known with immigration and controversy as our Foreign Affairs Minister, way to go Helen :rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.