main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2005 Game Of The Year

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    I agree that RE4 has more replay value, but the thing that tipped the scales for me in favor of GoW was the way that RE4 sort of degenerated into a Rambo-esque action game twoards the very end. It was still fun, of course, but I much preferred the creepy villagers-with-torches-and-pitchforks atmosphere in the early part of the game to the soldiers-carrying-miniguns-and-rockets atmosphere at the end. Not too big a deal, but just enough to sway me.

2. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    That was weird... but honestly, the parts in the laboratory, especially with those Regenerator things, were FAR scarier than the villagers. *shrug*

But the village at night was pretty skin-crawling, I'll give you that. :p

3. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Oh man, the regenerators! Don't remind me. [face_worried] :p

Actually, I was thinking specifically of the part where Leon is storming that final stronghold, and you have that attack chopper providing air support. Villagers with auotmatic weapons, massive explosions, etc.. Fun stuff, but it just seemed out of place to me. *shrug*

4. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Well honestly, Resident Evil has been more of an action-based series than anything, just with a horror "skin" to it. I've never thought the games were particularly scary - creepy in parts, and jumpy, yes - but to me it's always been an action/horror franchise. Even in the past games there was a lot of action sequences, like the various countdowns, the train sequence at the end of RE2, etc. Plus running around being covered by chopper fire is just awesome no matter which way you cut it. :p

But yes, if you were wanting horror all throughout, I can understand where you're coming from. Everyone has their own tastes, and while I'm a huge horror fan, I can accept the fact that RE has had action roots from the get-go. My only real problem with RE4 was the storyline. It was an okay little solo plot, but it deviated too far from the established Resident Evil storyline. I know there were elements that helped it tie in, but I just thought the story was pretty sloppy. But the game was so good I almost don't care. :)

5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    It just really sucks, cause I keep trying to think of the one game that changed the face of gaming this year. I really can't think of any.

There is Nintendogs, and I do love it. Maybe it'll be in the running.

~PK~

6. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I plan on getting a DS this week... perhaps I'll pick up Nintendogs. I played it at Wal-Nart and saw what could be an addicting little "game."

7. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    RE4 came out this year? Why does it seem so much older to me... *shrugs* I guess I'll go with that one. Though I'm thinking F.E.A.R. may take it's spot once it is released.

8. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Jade Empire

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It came out in early January, so it's just barely a 2005 release.

10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    far cry xbox edition :p

it's been dry as heck...

jade empire probably, though the combat was a little simplistic, despite the awesome story

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    There's quite a few PC games coming out this last quarter. Civilization IV, Age of Empires III, The Moives. With the exception of Civ4, I don't think any of them will be game of the year contenders though.

12. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    I asked this in another thread, but what is the movies? Like, I know you make movies, run a studio and such. Does anyone know how much freedom you're allowed? Maybe someone could point me to a thread? :)

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    http://www.lionhead.com/themovies/faq.html

Hopefully that'll answer your questions. :)

14. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    My vote goes with God Of War. I think the game was quite entertaining and the combat was phenomenal.

15. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    It's not out yet, but going by the demo alone, F.E.A.R. would get my vote. Man, can't wait for that game (only a couple more weeks :D)

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No. Perhaps you're thinking of Advent Children?

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes yes I was. Thank you for catching that mistake Marcus. I was waiting to see just how long it would take before someone noticed that was really a game and not a movie.

**whistles and walks away**

See Serenity

18. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    YOU CANT'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!! I AM NOT A MACHINE!!!

Saturday.

19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Yup Saturday for me more than likely.

20. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    talking of serenity, how necessary is it to have seen firefly? and is there a timeline? firefly before or after serenity?

i wanna see this movie so much based on your words alone, and the review on film 2005 with jonathan woss

21. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I just laugh at people who play that game. Sorry, I hope I haven't offended anyone lol but you've got to have a pretty....odd life if you can find enjoyment by sitting there and messing with virtual dogs as if they are real.

22. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    i don't plan on getting a hand held, i've just no need for one, last one i had was a gameboy advance, but i gave that to my brother in exchange for the GC gameboy player, so he could use my GBA for final fantasy crystal chronicles

23. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Resident Evil 4.

24. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...hmm...

"Mercenaries" was pretty fun..

"God of War" was pretty good.

"Advance Wars DS" was good, but no better then previous incarnations..

"Dynasty Warriors 5" was, as always, fun.

25. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    I never saw Firefly, but from what I hear the movie takes place after the events of the show. But the movie does an excellent job at the beginning making you feel like you already know the characters.

And in my opinion it's the best Sci-Fi to come out since The Matrix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.