2005 - The Year in Collecting: Thoughts, Reviews, Opinions

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Darth_Cephus, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. Darth_Cephus Jedi Master

star 2
    Overall, I thought it was a great SW and SW collecting year. Lucas put out all the stops and finally gave us the SW movie most fans wanted to see. I'd pretty much gotten everything I'd wanted with regards to SW collecting. I think Hasbro did a pretty good job with the figures, with a nice finish of the OTC collection earlier in the year and ending with the ROTS line in December. It was also great to finally have the last movie on DVD. Now the entire saga is within arms reach.

I also met some really cool guys waiting in line at midnight madness, which was a blast in and of itself.

I think the collecting sites, primarily Rebelscum and Galactichunter as well as our own collecting forum, did an excellent job of keeping us informed of new stuff and reporting latest finds. A big kudos to Target for supplying me with 98% of my SW finds.

My one regret, I wasn't able to attend Celebration 3, but here's to hoping there might be a Cele 4 in 2007 with the 30th anniversary of SW.
  2. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, it was a pretty good year for Star Wars. It was also kinda bittersweet, being the last movie year.

From the 2004 OTC line onward, interest in Star Wars was re-ignited, which is good for all of us. The ROTS line was a big hit, and I found every figure I wanted at retail. Star Wars seemed to regain it's pop culture mojo. Revenge of the Sith, the film, was basically sastisfying to most people, even hardcore OT fans like me. The world of high end SW collectibles seems to be doing well.

All in all not a bad year.

[face_dancing] Happy new year everyone! Let's be safe out there tonight! [face_dancing]

3. DisneyGal126 Jedi Knight

star 1
    2005 was a very good year for me because I watched Star Wars for the very first time and fell in love with it. For someone who had ever seen any of the movies before May my collection has started out nicely! I look forward to expanding my collection and participating in more Star Wars stuff in 2006!
  4. NM_Mandalorian Jedi Knight

star 3
    2005 will definitely be remember as the year Star Wars took most of my money.
  5. IncomT65 Jedi Master

star 4
    2005 definitely was an ultimate SW year in my book. The anticipation for ROTS was intense, seeing the last SW movie for the first time was even more so! And after that, my collection expanded with warp 9 - aaaarrgghhhh - I mean with hyperspeed! I suddenly found sources I would never have guessed.

There won't be a year like 2005 any time soon, I'm afraid...
  6. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Fantastic. Best SW year since 1977. The ROTS toys were excellent. Even the packaging was great. SW C III sent me into high gear with seeing Lucas, etc, and all the great SW celebs. Then, ROTS itself came out. First movie I saw in the theater 10 times since the original trilogy. 2005 won't be topped.
  7. SithAboveAll Jedi Master

star 4
    this year was big year for me and i hope GL appreciates my money. i went from loving the movies and only buying books to collecting all sorts of lines. i enjoyed this year and look forward to bying new things and older items that are still on my list.
  8. DarthShona Force Ghost

star 5
    '05 was a very busy year for my collection. I don't think I've ever bought more SW stuff in one year! I give credit to the OS and TFN for keeping me on my toes with all the new stuff. I also racked up on a ton of Vader stuff--what I mostly collect--at C3 (including the exclusive fig! [face_dancing])

Can't wait to see what this year will bring! :D

9. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    I went on a collecting hiatus (mostly) for the TPM, then picked up some AOTC stuff on clearance, then started picking stuff up cheap on ebay last year to start seriously filling holes in my collection.

This year my collecting frenzy went into overdrive, particularly after I finally got my collection out and on display and was able to identify holes that needed filling in my collection.

This next year promises to still be a drain on my finances w/ more GG Mini-Busts and Sideshow's awesome 12" figures.
  10. AlrikFassbauer Jedi Master

star 4
    It was generally a good year with some certain bad sides :

- Jedi too fast nearly sold out
    - prices of remaining ones going too fast too high
    - almost same with clone variants (Target Clone, Black Pilot, Green Commander etc.)
    - Too much exclusives, because they're VERY expensive here.

I fear I must try to get what I'm till looking for online. For example Shaak Ti is a REAL rarity here ! The price is up to about 20 ? ! Similar things go for other rare Jedi and Clone variants I mentioned above.

Personally, I fear that too much ROTS figures will end up TC-14 - like. I mean, TC-14 was just an exception, but there are *several* Jedi sold out and getting the status "rarity" here !

Apart from these problems, it was a good year.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.