main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards 2005 Winter Fan Fiction Awards - Announcement Thread: 12.24.05, Awards and Ent. Volunteeers Listed

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JadeSolo, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Herein you will find most valuable snippets of information pertaining to the 2005 Winter Fan Fiction Awards. Including, and not limited to, schedules, deadlines, links to era threads, and any other details that will make your nominating, voting, and overall participation one of ease and great fun. :D

(I hope I finally got all the details right in this one!)

[b][color=deeppink]ANNOUNCEMENT OMG LIEK READ ME!!11!!1eleventyone[/b][/color]

We have important new info!

[b][color=deeppink]O RLY[/b][/color]

The ceremonies will each be held on a separate weekend. The nomination processes et al will be staggered. Hopefully this will make it easier on people to not only get in their noms for each era, but to also send in excerpts and vote.

[b][color=deeppink]ANNOUNCEMENT - updated 12.20.05[/b][/color]

[b]~Before~[/b]

[li][b]Nominations:[/b] January 3 - 12 [/li]
    [li][b]Excerpt submission period:[/b] January 13 - 22[/li]
    [li][b]Excerpts posted by:[/b] January 27[/li]
    [li][b]Voting Period:[/b] January 28 - February 6[/li]
    [li][b]Ceremony:[/b] February 10[/li]

[hr]

[b]~Saga~[/b]

[li][b]Nominations:[/b] January 11 - 20[/li]
    [li][b]Excerpt submission period:[/b] January 21 - 30 [/li]
    [li][b]Excerpts posted by:[/b] February 3[/li]
    [li][b]Voting Period:[/b] February 4 - 13 [/li]
    [li][b]Ceremony:[/b] February 17[/li]

[hr]

[b]~Beyond~[/b]

[li][b]Nominations:[/b] January 18 - 27 [/li]
    [li][b]Excerpt submission period:[/b] January 28 - February 6 [/li]
    [li][b]Excerpts posted by:[/b] February 10[/li]
    [li][b]Voting Period:[/b] February 11 - 20 [/li]
    [li][b]Ceremony:[/b] February 24[/li]

[hr]

[b]Cutoff dates:[/b]

[b]June 10 - Nov. 30[/b]

This includes post dates for stories to be nominated, as well as the timeframe for New Author nominees to have posted their first fics.

[hr]

[b][color=deeppink]YA RLY[/b][/color]

Current list of hosts:

[b]Overseer:[/b] JediJainaSoloFel
    [b]Before:[/b] Phoenix_Reborn
    [b]Saga:[/b] Jaina_Solo_15
    [b]Beyond:[/b] Knight_Dilettante

Full list of volunteers coming soon.

[b][color=deeppink]NO WAI![/b][/color]

We will be granting VIP status to the overseer and the host sock for each era to aid with posting excerpts and the like. And because we decided they deserve it. ;)

We've also set up a private forum to help the organisers do what they need to.

[hr]

[b][color=deeppink]PPOR[/b][/color]

[color=darkblue][b]Adding this information to this post to make it easy to find![/b][/color] :p

[b]Things you can do to help the awards run smoothly:[/b]

1) Since the eligibility period for stories has already passed, start getting your nominations together [i]now[/i]. Make use of the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/21299670/p1/?4]FAQ thread[/link] which lists many of the character discussion threads, indices, and challenge threads.

Also, use the New Story Index and Completed Story Index threads on each board.

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/22195886/p1/?2]Before the Saga Completed Story Index[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/22161000/p1/]Before the Saga November New Story Index[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/21812453/p1/]Before the Saga October New Story Index[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/21383035/p1/?32]Before the Saga September New Story Index[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/20981466/p1/?32]Before the Saga August New Story Index[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/before_the_saga/b10475/20555026/p1/?31]Before the Saga July New Story Index[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/20033514/?27]Before the Saga June New Story Index[/link]

[hr]

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/16458341/p1/?5]Saga Completed Stories Index[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/22201810]Saga November New Story Index[/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=21781748&br

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Now all we need are the catagories and we're set to go. [face_batting]

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    We've got those too! :D

4. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    May I ask how you're choosing your candidates, or is that too confidential?

5. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    We blindfolded roo and played "Pin the leash on the Padawan!" 8-}

6. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    ROFLOL!!

Poor Padawans...

7. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Here is the list of categories upon which we agreed:

Genre
    Best Alternate Universe
    Best Canon
    Best Action
    Best Drama
    Best Romance
    Best Humor
    Best All Around

Style
    Best Response To A Challenge
    Best Songfic
    Best Poem
    Best Crossover
    Most Underrated
    Best Short Story
    Best Epic
    Best Vignette
    Best Series

Character
    Best Canon Interpretation, Male
    Best Canon Interpretation, Female
    Best Original Character, Male
    Best Original Character, Female
    Best Non-Human
    Best Villain
    Best Ensemble Cast

Author
    Best Author
    Best New Author
    Best Collaborative

If I counted right (and that's a big IF) there should be 26 categories.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Not only counted right, but spelled right at that! ;) :p

9. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    Pin the leash on the Padawan - Hee! Ok, so Angst and Child were dropped (somebody call CPS!)... and the rest looks the same as last time? :-B

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    [image=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/rplatan/orly_owl.jpg]

[image=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/rplatan/yarly.jpg]

[image=http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/rplatan/nowai.jpg]

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    *giggles at use of O RLY*

12. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Ooooooh. Shiney.

Wow! Great changes! :) I really like them. They're super spiffy. (I just finished a 65 page story that I wrote over the past three days or so, so words are... hard to come by right now.)

Seriously, great job! :) Jaya go away from fan fiction for a while now. Yes. To the happy padded room. ;)

13. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Oh noes, all teh categories...head hrts. :oops:

[face_love] OMG i f33l l0ve 4 teh c00l owlz!!!!!1111!!!!111!!!1 Mewant ur owlz, rhonderoooooo.[:D]

kthxbye

Edit:More seriously: Will there be definitions of each of the categories posted? Like what qualifies as canon, angst, etc?

14. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Are there going to be the very helpful links telling us what CAN'T be nominated this time around as well? Oh, and *please* define what "Best All Round" means--I remember there being specifice guidelines (something like it had to have at least two actions scenes plus a romance scene etc.) suggested at one point last time but then I couldn't find them again and so I was never sure if we were supposed to follow those guidelines or not.

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    As kateydidnt mentioned, we need descriptions of several of the awards such as best all around, short story, etc. I assume you don't want links for the nominations but will for the excerpts?

I think Leona is doing the link thing on stories/authors who have already won. I know there was a thread with the awards listing here somewhere. here's the list of past awards

I hope people remember to go all the way back to June to dig out the stories. I looked in Before and it's about 25 pages (at 25 threads/page).

16. Cantador

Cantador Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    Twenty-six, huh?

As I said before, I'm happy to be of any help you need. Just make sure to boss me, because otherwise I'll be lost sheep.

17. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Well, here are my thoughts about the categories that need defining

For Best All Around, the story really ought to have at least one scene each of action, drama, romance, and humor. Do we want to be more specific? For example, we could say the story must have a lightsaber fight or a space battle or a fistfight. Or that it must have a kiss or a wedding or someone saying ?I love you.? Or does that just get too complicated, because some story could have a great action or romance scene but not meet the specifications I just tossed out there? [face_thinking]

For the four length categories we?re keeping (listed under Style), Vignette is by definition a single post, and Series would require multiple story threads. So I guess the question is how we distinguish Short Story and Epic. In the other thread there was some talk of doing that by number of posts rather than word count, since the former is a lot easier to determine. So maybe something like this: Vignette (1 post), Short Story (2-15 posts), Epic (16 or more posts), and Series (2 or more related stories of any length). Does that work?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Mods? :p

18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Sounds good.

"Best All Around" = the story the nominator thinks deserves that title.

*I for one* don't want to go through my choices looking for a certain number of Scenes from colum A or two scenes from colum B and C or three scenes from colum D and A or...8-}

19. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    Fair enough. :p

Still, I think there needs to be some kind of guidance. The category is "Best All Around" not just "Best Story" in that era. A completely brilliant one-post introspective viggie, for example, could win Best Drama but not Best Action or Best Humor - and not Best All Around, either. At least, I thought that was the idea - that Best All Around is for well rounded stories that cover all four genres well, just like Best Ensemble Cast is for multiple characterization.

20. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Best All Around: I can think of several deserving fictions that don't necessarily have all of those above mentioned scenes. But they are still, in my books, the "BEST"

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yes, I'm still working on getting past winners in the Index. I'm hoping having tomorrow off will help, but I can't promise. :)

22. Darth_Lex

Nov 17, 2002
    Zonoma

And that's exactly my point. "Best All Around" was not suggested as a "Best Story" award. It's for well-rounded stories, just as Best Ensemble is for well-rounded characterization of a cast (not a single character).

So a story without any romance may be one of the "Best" and it can go up for AU or Canon, or Drama or Action or whatever - but not Romance (obviously :p ) or All Around.

At least that was my understanding.

23. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I have no idea what the history of those owls are, but I still think they're hysterically funny. [face_laugh]

Links: Might not be a bad idea to have people send in links with their noms. It would help the organisers check that the story is in fact eligible for the nom.

Definitions: Vig = 1 post, Series = at least 2 fics in a story arc, All Around = at least one scene of each - romance, action, drama, humor, etc

For Short Story, if we say that a story post usually isn't much more than 2,000 words, that makes the maximum word limit for a short story 30,000 (by Lex's definitions). Seems about right to me.

For the other categories, I'd say Canon is basically anything that mostly sticks to LFL resources. I say mostly because unless you're Teh Uber Geek, it's hard to know each and every little exact detail of what LFL approved. And the same idea can be applied to the other categories. For instance, if the main point of the story is humor, it probably doesn't belong in a nom for Drama.

It's too early to think this hard!

edit: So things are clearer - I'm working under the impression that "All Around" means the story has elements of different genres. Separate from "Best Story."

24. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Darth Lex:

Well said and I concede the point, but is there a "Best Story" award? I may have overlooked it...

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    If you feel a story is "the best" you can nominate it for Best Short Story or Best Epic, depending on the length.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.