main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2006 costume projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Nostradamus, Dec 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Oh wow, I haven't realized how much I've done this year! Of course I don't think any costume is fully completed, but they're all pretty much done except the evil hems. :p

Costumes Completed (well almost anyway ;) ):
    In order of oldest to newest

Pleated skirt (originally for Padme's Packing gown0
    Belt and holster (originally for Padme's Battle outfit)
    Modified KK top from King Arthur
    OC's Battle Outfit from Return of the King
    Final Gown from Dirty Dancing
    Padme's Suede Outfit from RotS
    Poly Version of Pastel Gown
    Padme's Corset
    Blue Beaded Cape Which is still going...ugh
    Padme's Tatooine Poncho First Version of it
    Padme's Blue nightgown RotS First Version of it
    Padme's Picnic Skirt Modified to be shorter and is a cream color
    Splinter Cell Top and Belt with Holsters
    OC's Jedi Robe Front/Side

And a lot of those small and incomplete things. :p

~Spacelady

2. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Well i feel kinda lame. Everyone else has done such amazzzzzinnnggg things!

What i managed to get done, complete costume wise, was

Mirax Terrik(comic)
    Mirax Terrik(Book V.1)
    Iella Wessiri(CorSec)
    Panic! At The Disco (From "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies")
    and two Cloaks

As for "not finished" stuff, i have

Skirt and Leotard for Guri costume (I have the fabric for the vest! just gotta mockup)
    Two Panic! jackets(commissioned)
    Purse to match Panic! jacket(I hated not having pockets)
    Imperial Officer uniform(for a friend)

The not finished stuff should be done within a month... i guess that isnt too bad of a list for a novice?

3. Marianne_Solav

Marianne_Solav Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    Up till now, I've completed 2 costumes in 2006:

-Han Solo ESB for a friend.

-River Tam from Serenity (Firefly).

I started a Rogue costume from X-men that I hope to complete for Halloween.

After that, I will be doing Pilot Padme from AOTC and Padme's battle dress from TPM for Celebration IV.

4. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    So far this year, I've managed to trudge through more than I expected.
    But, then, I also took a job that allows me to literally 'sew' at work.
    So, that helps...alot. Especially since my sewing machines have been acting up. I've learned to love hand-sewing.

- Helga/ Eis Hexe from Trinity Blood
    - Finally finished: the Queen from Brothers Grimm
    - Arwen's Mourning Gown
    - Lady Deathstrike
    - Colonel Sanders (commission)
    - Burger King (commission)
    - Wendy's Wendy
    - Taco Bell Girl (commission)
    - EGA, half recycled, half vinyl.
    - Dr. Elsa Schneider from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    - Female Alchemist from Ragnarok Online
    - version 1.0 of the Padme's Green Velvet Robe from RotS
    - Glam-rock Pirate
    - Padme Amidala's Black Invasion / Sabe Decoy gown
    - Padme Amidala's Pre-Senate Kimono
    - Scarlett O' Hara's BBQ gown (thanks to gaining weight, this got put back on the shelf.)
    - Roy Mustang from Full Metal Alchemist (commission)

Now I've started clicking away on:

- Boushh Leia (I'm using Wonderflex, rather than ABS plastic, and casting hard parts with alumilite resin. It's an experiment-- in non-toxicity.)
    - Jabba the Hutt (whee!)
    - Queen Esther from Trinity Blood
    - Re-making Padme's Packing Gown
    - Padme Amidala's Dark Senate Gown

Hey, it's only September! I've got loads, loads of time...

5. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002

Everyone's projects looks great! Love the sculpt there too ;).

I went through my costume wardrobe and took a look at what needed repairs/new hems, etc - almost everything needs a little help lol. My Eowyn skirt and sleeves can finally get a real hem on it now that I have a better machine (just fray checked for now). I'm re-drafting my Rebel Femme shirt since it was so horribly made the first time around (last minute before the con). My pink CW Padme dress needs to be taken in and hemmed. My robe needs to be hemmed as well . My Black Corset skirt also needs to be hemmed and taken in a bit (anyone sense a pattern here?).

I'll admit it, I despise hemming - with a passion. My wedding dress remained unhemmed until 1 hour before we had to leave for the ceremony [face_blush]. Anyone else in the 'I Hate Hemming' club besides me [face_laugh]?

EDIT: I totally forgot to add a picture of my baby cousin's cape/poncho that I made her for winter :D My Cousin Allison (her baby girl is Sophia) told me to sew her what ever I wanted to (costumes included hehe), so I made this cute little cape from left over materials I had laying around. Soft Polar Fleece on the outside, and a warm red cotton on the inside. I had this adorable plastic heart crystal in my button collectoin that inspired the poncho :)
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/miscpics/large/IMG_1807_2.JPG]
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/miscpics/large/IMG_1808_2.JPG]
    The doll is the closest thing I had to a baby sized item, Sophia is larger than the doll ;)
    Next up, baby sized Princess Leia dress and wig hat :D

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm a long time card carrying member of the "I HATE hemming" club. LOL! It's the most boring thing to me and I can never get things totally even...[face_frustrated]

7. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    I'll admit it, I despise hemming - with a passion. My wedding dress remained unhemmed until 1 hour before we had to leave for the ceremony . Anyone else in the 'I Hate Hemming' club besides me ?

I'm a long time card carrying member of the "I HATE hemming" club. LOL! It's the most boring thing to me and I can never get things totally even..

I cannot
    stand hemming. The only real thing I've hemmed was my black corset, but I had to because of how firm the material was and it was poking into me, and that hurt. :(

Too bad you can't just buy the fabric already machine hemmed! [face_laugh] :p

Btw, really cute poncho, Benae! :D :)

~Spacelady

8. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I don't like hemming either. I cheat and machine hem where I can. lol When I can't get away with it, I pile it up, put some good tunes on the comp and chat with friends while hand hemming. It helps make it bearable. lol

9. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    if i were Frankenstein: Hemming Bad! Fire Bad! Easy Good!

yeah...uh. anyways...

BenaeQuee: that poncho is adoreable!! and you've got to post pics of the wee lil' Leia when it's done!! :D

10. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006

I'm totally a member of that club! We should have jackets :p

Whilst hand hemming the sleeves and skirt of my Leia dress (the skirt part was made from two rectangles, the width of the material, which I believe is about 120inches :eek:) I managed to watch Robin hood (disney version), Ella Enchanted, Elizabeth, Fern Gully, Who framed Roger Rabit and Singing in the Rain. There might have been a couple of others too :p

I *hate* hand hemming, but at least it means I can catch up on all those unwatched movies :p

11. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    I'll be a freak and admit that I actually enjoy hemming! As long as there's no scary deadline, it's lovely zen-type work.

12. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    The only thing that I hate worse than hemming is folding up the stupid patterns. [face_plain] :mad: That's why I decided to finally learn how to just pin everything to my dress form and work from there. Patterns are the spawn of evil. *eye twitches* :p

~Spacelady

13. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    I could never quite figure out how they got all that tissue paper into those envelopes in the first place. [face_hypnotized]

I'm glad they invented ziploc storage bags. ;)

14. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Hemming...ugggg...I can never seem to get it even, either.
    So far, it's looking like a pretty busy Halloween season. I'm putting the finishing touches on my "Lucilla" (from Gladiator)dress, and using a similar pattern, I made a colleague a "Calpurnia" (from Julius Caesar) gown. Both use a ton of fabric, and I'm adding some really cool gold jewelry I'm finding at thrift stores and on sale at Claire's. I'll also be working on her little girls White Witch of Narnia dress (the first one shown in the film), icicle crown, and scepter. I'll admit, I'm getting pretty carried away for a 9 year old's costume, but she wants to be in her school's Halloween pageant.
    Aside from that, so far, it's just tweaking my lake gown, working on my picnic dress skirt, and...I hope that's it. For now. :)

15. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    lol i alwasy have to perfect fold my patterns back up and get them all back in the envelope :p

i don't mind hemming but i hate pinning hems, so hard to get them just right

16. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Depending on the project I quite like hemming;)

Benae_Quee: what a cute poncho:)

A-Tastic: Did I see photos of your Queen from Brother's Gimm in the D*C Fabrications/Friday Night costume contest? I loved it:)

Argh... to many people with great projects;) I may have to post again to reply on posts further back:)

I didn't realise just how many I had done this year myself;)

I settled on my SCA persona wardrobe rather than flitting about (well I still do that, but this is the persona wardrobe;)
    Pink light wool "middleclass"
    Big Posh Frock, aka what Anne of Cleves could have worn had she stayed in Cleves
    Pale blue heavy wool "middleclass"
    Surcoat, currently an English style only but I'm going to add short paned sleeves to make it work for my persona, and for English styles as well.
    I also did a very silly dress in Electric Watermelon pink based on a portrait of Anne of Denmark.

I also did a recretaion costume of the Australian version of the Blue Dress from Phantom of the opera

And last finished item was a grey walking dress of 1887.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    You can count me in for the "I hate hemming" club. I hate it and I can never really get it even.

18. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Neimhaille- I'm in love with the details on the Anne of Cleves Head Dress - gorgeous! Beautiful work on all the gowns :)

Hmm 'hate pattern stuffing' - another club I'm in LOL. I've given up on my patterns and just threw out half of them that I couldn't get back into the envelope [face_blush] They're cheap enough that I bought replacements for the ones I threw out.

19. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    I used to be in the "Hate stuffing patterns" club, but then i came up with an idea.. I had ordered the Green Pepper jumpsuit pattern, and it came to me in a plastic, sealable bag. DING DING DING! I bought a cheapie box of like... 20 1 gallon bags from walmart. I fold the "tissue paper"(you'd think they'd make it out of better stuff!), and flattern it.. Label the bag an voila!!! No more grief :)

The bags work for mockups too.. if you can fit it in there haha.

20. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Yeah, I used plastic bags as well, Ashley...for a very long time. [face_laugh] And now I have one big tub full of patterns in different plastic bags, but sadly, I figured out the plastic bag idea after I lost pieces of the patterns. *grumbles* Figures, huh? :p

And woo hoo! I "finished" two Jedi robes in two days! My biggest task ever! :D Of course I still have to hem both and right now since I drafted the entire thing without a pattern, the ends are a little...confusing shall I say, so it's going to take me a long time to completely finish it. *grumbles a little*

But hey, I can add those two onto my list! :D

~Spacelady

21. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Comic book bags, boards and boxes for me. Keeps 'em organized. I can see what's there at a flip and a glance. Made of materials that are safe for long term storage of paper products. An all-around win.

22. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    Thank you for that very good idea. I need to get my patterns better organized. I need to make a database on my comp of what I have too for future shopping trips lol

23. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    At my work, we keep patterns in 9x12 manila envelopes, which fit neatly into your standard filing cabinet. You can either just tape your pattern envelope to the front, or make a photocopy. Or if it's a drafted pattern, you can draw a sketch on the front.

24. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I keep all mine in ziplock bags. It's defiantely perfect for mock-ups; I label the front with the costume, which part of the costume, sometimes the approximate size (if I have mock-ups in different sizes). They're brilliant! Of course at the moment, I only have enough to fill a medium sized plastic tub, but it's steadily growing!!

25. Arsinoe

Jun 24, 1999
    I have decided on a new costuming project for the rset of 2006 (hopefully it'll only take me one weekend) [face_hypnotized] ....

Organize my costuming space and supplies. Document what I have.

That area of my house is in desperate need of attention. lol If I do it right, it'll make it sooo much easier to work on my 2007 projects and it may even save me some money once I figure out what's occupying the 'stash'. rofl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.