main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2006 Costumes?

Discussion in 'Archive: Quad Cities' started by TT_Boy, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TT_Boy

TT_Boy Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2004
    Anyone working on Star Wars/ Sci-Fi costumes for this year?

I am working on all of these right now.

1. C-3PO fiberglass costume (wearable) 50% done
    2. Indiana Jones German soldier a.k.a Nazi (DAK or Afrika Korps) <--- Adding to current costume. 90% done
    3. ROTS Anaking Skywalker 10% done
    4. ROTS Anaking Skywalker Mustafar battle 10% done
    5. Full size R4-D5 (sound/remote)20% done
    6. The Matrix Lobby trench coat 5% done
    7. Star Trek II Movie uniform(s) 65% done

German Soldier will be done for Capricon 06
    C-3PO and both Anakins will be done for Wizard World 06, Gencon 06, and DragonCon 06
    R5-D4 for Star Wars Celebration 4 in 2007 ( IF THERE IS ONE)

I was working on my Anakin tonight and instead of buying a Master Replica ($250+) or a Park Saber ($250+) I went to best buy and bought a Anakin FX saber for $89 [face_money_eyes] and took off the blade (did you know there is plastic foam and a long string of blue LEDs inside.) I comparied the FX saber hilt to other MR sabers my brother and I have and found that they are the same size and it does not have the "Fat look" to it. The only FX sabers that I have seen that have the "Fat look" or the Luke ROTJ and Mace's saber but those sabers are still bad @$$.

So if you are looking into getting a really good saber for half the cost go cut-up a FX saber and leave the Toy sabers at Walmart alone [face_not_talking]

For those who don't know I hate Jedi's with Toy Sabers! [face_skull]

2. dinochick

dinochick Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2002
    I am not working on any at the moment, but I hope to start a few in the next month or two, once I get caught up with things [face_tired]

3. Illd_Saber

Illd_Saber Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2005
    Here's what I hope to accomplish in 2006:

Finish Jedi belt.
  4. Complete the pouches. I don't want to just wrap something in brown vinyl to look like a pouch, I want functional pouches.

5. Complete the food capsules.

6. Attach covertec clip to belt.

7. Disguise belt clasp in back.

8. Saber hilt.
    I am probably 5% done. I grabbed the Windu FX at the last minute as an easy way out before Halloween.

Jedi costume.
    Over the past few months, I've found fabric I like better for the tabbards and obi. The stuff I used originally was, again, a quick way out before Halloween.

Boots.
    I need to mod the boots so they are taller.

Orange jumpsuit.
    My new costume for '06 will be an X-Wing Pilot. My main hurdle will be the helmet. I want to avoid the Don Post or Rubies helmets because they look flimsy to me. I keeping an eye on ebay for a decent flight helmet to mutilate.

Halloween.
    A huge challenge will be Halloween. My son wants us to be Transformers. He wants to be Hot Shot from the new Cybertron series. If I'm putting the effort in a Transformers costume for me, it's going to be G1 Soundwave ... hopefully with operational/ejectable cassettes.

Top secret?
    I'm also toying with the idea of undertaking a major project, but I need to do tons more research, talk with people in the know and possibly take a class or two before I even think about mentioning it out loud. A few of you folks on here might be who I consider "in the know."

9. QCJediGal

QCJediGal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2005
    I am working on several costumes

My main costume project this year is Aayla Secura, thus far I've found the perfect pair of boots and pants for her.
    I also want to redo my jedi tunic as well as construct a Princess Leia costume.

10. TT_Boy

Feb 13, 2004
    This I think is one of my best costumes but I never have a chance to wear it [face_frustrated]

[image=http://www.qcjo.com/Luke%20Skywalker%20ESB.jpg]

I have a MR Luke ESB saber hilt, MP Matt's custome leather belt (ESB), Museum Replica brown boots with WWII Britsh leg wraps, and Blonde wig. My mother did the pants and jacket. Then I used "movie dirt" to make look used.

11. Illd_Saber

May 16, 2005
    Very impressive. That's one of my goals ... to complete a costume down to the finest detail. Mine always seem to have one or two minor little things that need finishing.

Perhaps we need to create a chance for you to wear it.

12. TT_Boy

Feb 13, 2004
    It is the details that make any costume good. Tomorrow I am going to order my Anakin boots ($400):eek: It is A LOT OF MONEY, but boots are THE HARDEST thing to make or find. Almost all the boots in OT are WWII german boots and in PQT movies they are WWII British Tanks boots. So finding WWII era boots at the Mall is going to be difficult :D

CAboots.com is a good site for OK boots but they are to short on the calf and they fall apart easily. My friend who just bought his boots went to Wizard World with us and at the end of the boots fell apart. I did get my Jack Sparrow boots from CAboots but they where $280 but very good quality.

I also found really good jedi belts on ebay with everything for $80.

13. Illd_Saber

May 16, 2005
    I'm too far along on my belt to give up now.

Can I hit you up for info on working with fiberglass when I get to making my Rogue pilot helmet?

14. TT_Boy

Feb 13, 2004
    I have not created things out of fiberglass but I have worked with it before. The Rubies Helmet is good but needs to be repainted. Richies armor has helmets for $175 I think, lots of people use his helments. The real helmet is a Navy piolt helmet 1977 I think but they are almot $500 to $1000 on ebay.

15. UluUlix

UluUlix Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2003
    Costume info-Walmart.com has Dressing the Galaxy for 30.00 + change with tax and shipping.

16. QCJediLance

QCJediLance Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2002
    Well i'm working on my own r2-d2 and maybe i'll try to fix up my jango fett to be more to the movie. I have a old navy helmet that is pretty close to the one the the pilots use in the movies and I was actually going to try and fix it up to be a rebal pilot helmet.

17. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    Lance-that is cool about the fighter pilot costume. I think I might start working on one too. I was looking at stuff online last night with Brad. Seems pretty cool.

18. Illd_Saber

May 16, 2005
    Lance and Kent, if we're all basically starting from square one on the pilot costumes, perhaps we should get together to work on certain portions of this. Thoughts?

Also, from my post above about the food capsules: I had started working on some using the best substitute pen caps I could find in the area, but wasn't happy with the look. Today on ebay I found someone selling a newer version of the Staedtler Liquid Roller Point Pen in large quantities. With shipping, it comes out to be just a bit more than a buck a pen. Here's one of the auctions. I emailed the seller and they verified that these are the same caps as the ones in this picture.
    The seller said they've sold to Star Wars costumers before.

I'll be ordering the hemesperical domes to cover the bottoms of the caps from Plastruct in the very near future. They're not expensive (5 are $2), but if anybody else is working on food capsules, we can order all at once to eliminate duplicate shipping costs. Let me know.

19. QCJediGal

Mar 12, 2005
    Actually with my Princess Leia costume I could and would gladly take suggestions on the making of the belt.

I plan on making the white dress she wore in A new Hope.

Like I said suggestions welcomed.

20. Illd_Saber

May 16, 2005
    Have you been here?

It looks like they either painted the leather white or used white deerskin. I checked Tandy and the deerskin would be about $60. I'd suggest looking at the vinyl at Hancock.

If I can help, let me know. I think we need to have a few costuming meetings.

21. Illd_Saber

May 16, 2005
    After talking with Kent the other night about the buckle on my Jedi belt, I thought I'd share a couple pics. The buckle came from a $10 purse I found at KMart. It's actually 2 pieces (the parts that hold the strap to the purse) that fused together.

[image=http://www.qcroguesquadron.com/images/costuming/jedi_belt_buckle.jpg]

[image=http://www.qcroguesquadron.com/images/costuming/jedi_belt.jpg]

22. dinochick

Jul 7, 2002
    I used white marine vinyl. I may even have some left over. I will look for it. It looked pretty nice once it was finished, although I need to figure out a better way to make the metalic plates. I totaly ghettoed it for mine. It worked,but I was under a time/$ crunch and did not have time to try anything else.

Here are two sites that have some advice also: http://www.padawansguide.com/leia_anh_makingof.shtml & http://www.jedi-academy.com/leia_anh_belt.html

23. TT_Boy

Feb 13, 2004
    Well Chris and I bit the bullet and ordered our jedi boots. Boots

Next weekend we are heading up to Chicago to get material. So far this little Anakin Skywalker costume is running about $600. I say if your going to do something do it right the first time.

Here is the only photo I have of my 1st EPII anakin Skywalker

[image=http://www.rebellegion.com/images/cos/352-A.jpg]

24. QCJediLance

Jul 22, 2002
    Well for your info i've actually cut the belt peices out for marks movie out of aluminum at work on the laser that i run.

25. TT_Boy

Feb 13, 2004
    what type of belts? belt buckles, Jedi belts, Han-Luke betls?

26. QCJediLance

Jul 22, 2002
    leia belt peices but if there's peices that are flat or could be flat and then formed than i might be able to get some cut. Mark asked me to cut the peices for the movie.

27. dinochick

Jul 7, 2002
    Hey! I had not even thought of that! I could not find any aluminum thin enough to cut myself (other than a coke can), plus thae fact that everything I cut had shard edges that could have cut your arm if it brushed up against it (and no one wants blood on white ployester!)....I will have to keep that in mind. How much $ would I be out to get a set of those made Lance?

28. QCJediGal

Mar 12, 2005
    Actually a costuming meeting would be a greet idea. Both the QCJO and QCRS could get together at a costuming meeting. Trading ideas and suggestions....

29. Achilles_of_Edmonton

Achilles_of_Edmonton Jedi Youngling star 4

May 13, 2005
    Wow Lance, looks like you're building a business here lol.

2006 costumes. Asterisk means ones that I personally will be wearing.

All new original female Jedi outfit for Aliska
    Captain Antilles*
    Han Solo Cantina outfit
    Han Solo Mechanics outfit
    Red Squadron uniforms (5)
    Imperial Officers (6)
    Darth Vader
    Spice Miner (6)
    Card player (2)
    Bounty Hunter (2)
    Air traffic control tech (2)
    Female Star Pilot (2)
    Leia (thanks for the help Lance)
    Rebel trooper
    X-wing pilot
    TIE Pilot
    Dash Rendar
    Twi Lek waitress (2)
    Achilles* (sculpting and casting the miniature mural of greek warriors in battle in the shield is going to be a major pain. This may delay until next year.)
    Duffman*

Thankfully I will not have to make every one of these by hand myself and not all at once either. Otherwise I may as well just quit my job now lol.

Oh by the way, in case anyone besides Steve (since he's already done this) is into making Darth Vader, stay away from the Rubies helmet. It is of good size and all but it needs way too much work. Even after you replace the front grill and the lenses, and the billet sensors there is still a defect at the neck. The left side flares up for some stupid reason causing problems when it hits the shoulder armor. This problem is practically impossible to fix.

We were thinking of using it as a stunt helmet but it has become obvious this will not do so I'll be reselling it on ebay soon.

30. UluUlix

Feb 3, 2003
    Brad and Lance and all interested in the X-wing:

Phyllis on the Chi Boards has some great info on creating the X-wing Flak Vest.

http://boards.theforce.net/chicago_il/b10152/22648251/p1/?26

and a great link:

http://www.echobaserebels.com/reference/xwingcostume

http://www.echobaserebels.com/reference/xwingcostume/vest.php

Maybe we should set up a work project day for X-wing stuff.

One day either Brad or Steve will provide with a tutorial on how to create links, place pixs, and what not on these posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.