main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA 2006 John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Mi familia went to the Bowl last night and it was awesome as always. The first half was a tribute to "the Golden Age of movies" and featured many classics including clips from Hitchcock movies while playing the "North by Northwest" theme (one of my all time favorite movies). I guess there was an error because instead of coming back from the Intermission with Jurassic Park, he played the flying song from Hook. There were clips from great movies during the Lucas/Spielberg tribute. The encores were the Imperial March, Yoda's Theme (for JB), Harry's Wondrous World, and the NBC theme. Have fun everyone! I wish I was going!

2. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Great evening, everybody! And a great turnout. Nice to see everyone that was there. Gee, we'll have to do this again next year!

One of the many highlights -- all the lightsabers that were present. It was terrific.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    you guys needed a stronger lightsabre presence :D

4. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    The concert was fantastic, and it was great to see you all again. Pictures and videos will be forthcoming.

We plan to return in 2008. In the meantime, see you at C 4...

5. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I had a wonderful time for that being my first time at the Hollywood Bowl. Thanks for picking me up VK, and meeting ObiWill and JediHead1.

LB, thanks for loaning me you Windu saber. It was good to see everyone there.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    np on the sabre.... it was so much fun to bring those.

7. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I think because we were sitting a little lower than in years past, we were able to see the myriad of sabers -- either that, or everybody and his brother brought one this year. It was awesome!

8. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    in talking to a guy that works there afterward, last year it was like 50 sabres, this year, the count was 88, so the numbers definitly went up

9. AniPadmeLurker

AniPadmeLurker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2004
    HEEEY! it was great meeting all these new people, especially our New York friends.

Surprisingly, the lightsabers made the experience better. Seeing the pockets of fans, lighting them up in tribute was awesome.

Sadly, yes they did play Harry Potter CB!

10. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Yes, they did do the Potter song... YEA!!! Sorry, but I thought it was great!

Once again, I had a terrific time hanging out with the LAFF! Even the padawan enjoyed himself. That's saying a lot! The music was better than I could have ever hoped for! There were parts when I just closed my eyes and let it soak in. Thank you VK for getting the tickets!!

I met some more of you fine folks, JiltedToo, JediVixen and JediRacer (thanks for the ticket). Poor SR got stuck sitting inbetween the padawan and myself. What a saint, he didn't take a saber and strike either of us down. We went out for pizza with SJ, Lowbacca, MK and a few others at 1:00 in the morning. WOW, in my part of the woods, the sidewalks are rolled in by 9:00, so this was quite an experience! SJ, my adopted son, as always, you're terrific! Thanks for the yummy drink (my new favorite, coconut rum!), the laughs and the sightseeing tour on Sunday! You were very patient to do those cheesie tourist things with us.

All in all, I had a terrific weekend. Thanks to everyone for helping to make it so special!

11. Skyryder

Skyryder Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 13, 2004
    I agree with everyone, it was an excellent show and an excellent turnout. The sabers were really cool. I hadn't expected everyone to have them. I guess I'll bring mine next year.

I will do a bit of my historian thing now.

The LAFF people in attendance:
    VK and guests
    S_J
    JJ and guest
    JR and guest
    LB
    APL and guest
    JT
    and me SR

Then there were dozens of others from other Fan Forces, San Diego, Inland Empire, San Francisco, and New York. Also there was a large Lining Up crowd, and I even saw some 501st people. So very big attendance.

The program contained the following pieces:
    20th Century Fox Fanfair (which should only be followed with Star Wars in my opinion).
    "Conquest" from Captain from Castile
    Suite from A Place in The Sun
    Madame Bovary Waltz
    Theme from Now Voyager
    Citizen Kane
    Psycho
    Vertigo
    North by Northwest
    Hook
    Jurassic Park
    Memoris of a Geisha
    Fiddler on the Roof
    Superman
    Tribute to Lucas and Spielberg
    Jaws, Star Wars, Indy, ET

He then ended with NBC Nightly News.

I did manage a few pictures that came out ok. I didn't take any during the concert as those don't tend to come out very nice on my old camera anymore.

John Williams 2006

12. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    Thanks JF, I really had a nice time doing the sightseeing with you and your padawan.

13. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    This JW concert was great, perhaps second to the Star Wars tribute narrated by James Earl Jones. I really enjoyed the Bernard Herrman tribute and the medley from Fiddler. As for the encores: note to JW - you did compose more concert pieces from HP than Wondrous World. How about Azkaban - Buckbeak's Flight, or A Window to the past?

Anyway, I didn't mind the lightsabers this time, and even JW himself seemed to be playful about them.

All in all, I really enjoyed sharing this musical experience with you guys - my friends from the LAFF! :)

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I'd like to figure out how to get John Williams to conduct with a lightsabre next time

15. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    JJ, John Williams did seem more playful this year, didn't he?

16. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    AAAAAH, I missed music from JURASSIC PARK?!?! *cries*

:((((

17. vampireanneke

vampireanneke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2002
    My friend posted a post in her LJ about how she got to eat with John Williams's son for the concert and go back stage and meet him. Sounds like a nice time.

-Anneke

18. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I had great time at the JW concert as usual. It was nice to meet JF77 (don't be so stressed out). It was nice to see our friends from NY, ObiWill and Benae_Quee as well as friends from SF, JedHead1 and AnasianSkywalker. I hope to see all of you at C4. It was also nice to see LAFF oldbie's SoloJedi and CPPJedi. Of course it was cool to see all the regular LAFFer's too. Sorry we were too late for the group pic and all. Thank you SR for hanging out with us while we ate.

I remember when it was only DH and myself and a couple other people in the crowd with lightsabers. It's fun to see that there are MANY more people who bringing them.

John Williams is just awesome. I wish he would play more Star Wars though.. maybe next year. That one year with James Earl Jones was the best.

I'd like to give an award to Sol_Jedi for being the most excited person to be there. We missed ES there, my wife had some chocolate from Germany she wanted to share with you.

19. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    We were up in the back center (section W2, pretty much very back). When the clips started playing and they got to Star Wars, we could see what looked like a strip of lightsabers go up across the whole bowl. A lady behind me, who had seen a few here and there (including my own) said "oh my god!" when they all went up. It was a wonderful sight to see.

The music was fantastic (as usual)! We got up to leave right after Yoda's theme and of course the Imperial March started to play. I had to walk as slow as possible in order to hear the whole thing :) And of course I love hearing the Jurassic Park theme.

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    i can't recall sabres there....how many in W2?

21. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    AAAAAH, I missed German chocolate?!?!? ;) :) I haven't had any decent (aside from a food which is thankfully a staple in my parents' house too, Ghirardelli chocolate chips) chocolate since the Godiva and the bars from Whole Foods & the grocery store by the hotel in NYC at the end of June.
    *sigh* Ah, I miss you guys. If, for example, John Williams for some reason had a concert here, it still wouldn't be nearly as fun w/out y'all. *huffs* Dammit, the year he finally plays Jurassic Park too...

22. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    JR shared some German Chocolate with my padawan. He's the chocolate connoisseur in the family. He loved it! Thanks JR!

23. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    Thanks for the award JR, I will gladly accept it and place it on my mantle! You and your wife

ES, that was good chocolate you missed out on. Also, I was able to record most of the Jurassic Park performance on my camera. I'll see if I can shrink it down in size and try to send to it you, if you'd like.

JF, I owe you a lunch. So when you're down here next time, hit me up and we'll have lunch.

24. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    E-mail me the JP tune too SJ!! I'l PM my e-mail!

25. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    As far as I know, 2. My ParksSaber and a kid a few rows back with a Hasbro. Mine was the bright green one and his was more of a dark blue. I think there were one or two further to our right as well (that'd be section W3 and somewhere in V).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.