main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2007 ATP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I know it's women's tennis related, but I tend to think of this as "The Tennis Thread", so may I just say that Serena's... unsportsmanlike... loss only confirms everything I already knew about the Williams sisters. Maybe the commentators will stop worshiping them so much whenever they step foot on a court.

Shocked to see Nadal go down; I rather like him.

I like Roddick too, and am glad to see he's made it this far though Federer will undoubtedly take him out. Give him a fight, Andy; that's all we can ask.

2. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Roddick played really well, I thought. But Darth Federer was just better...as usual. Great tennis match.

3. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Anakin_Heartbreaker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Day Ten

Federer defeats Roddick in three sets 7-6, 7-6, 6-2 to head into the final four. This match had some high quality, with Roddick playing at 100%, and Federer just below his best. If I am correct, there were no double faults by either player throughout the match.

Federer is now 14-1 lifetime against Roddick.

In the first quarter final of the day, Davydenko repeated his win over Haas at exactly the same stage last year. But this time, it was more comfortable. Tommy began to look tired, the epic marathons against Grosjean and Blake had taken their affect, and Davydenko took full advantage.

First semi is now set

Federer V Davydenko

Federer is 9 - 0 against Davydenko, and beat him at last year's semi final and also at the semi final at the French.

4. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I must agree with u there, but then again, i've always disliked both Williams' sister's attitude[face_not_talking] , both when they win and lose. IMO nothing looks worse than having a bad attitude after a match, to me that says a lot about an athlete.

The Federer/Roddick game was closer than i expected it to be, but i'm not surprised Federer won, cause he just always does...i'm tired of that [face_laugh]

5. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Day Eleven

And the break through player of the tournament, Ferrer defeats Chela quite convincingly to go into his first grand slam semi final. He just looks like he is running around with a fuel tank on his back, he just never gets tired. And the decoturf surface at the US Open can be very unforgiving on the legs, as seen with Nadal.

Djokovic snaps a two match losing streak to Moya, to take the final spot. There were a few tight sets, but Novak picked his game up at crunch time.

The semi finals are now set

Federer v Davydenko
    Djokovic v Ferrer

6. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Day Twelve

No mens tennis to report on, but throughly enjoyed the women's matches. Especially Henin V Williams.

Since there are no mens matches to report, I thought I give the career head to head for the upcoming Men's semi final matches.

Federer V Davydenko

2007 Roland Garros, France, Clay S Federer 7-5 7-6(5) 7-6(7)
    2006 US Open, NY, U.S.A. Hard S Federer 6-1 7-5 6-4
    2006 Australian Open, Australia Hard Q Federer 6-4 3-6 7-6(7) 7-6(5)
    2005 ATP Masters Series Hamburg Germany Clay S Federer 6-3 6-4
    2005 Rotterdam The Netherlands Hard Q Federer 7-5 7-5
    2005 Doha Qatar Hard S Federer 6-3 6-4
    2004 Athens Olympics Greece Hard R64 Federer 6-3 5-7 6-1
    2004 Miami AMS FL, U.S.A. Hard R64 Federer 6-2 3-6 7-5
    2002 Milan Italy Carpet R16 Federer 6-3 6-7(4) 7-5

Federer 9 - 0 Davydenko

Ferrer V Djokovic

2007 ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo, Monaco Clay R16 Ferrer 7-5 6-4
    2007 ATP Masters Series Indian Wells CA, U.S.A. Hard Q Djokovic 6-3 6-4
    2004 Bucharest Romania Clay R16 Ferrer 4-6 6-4 6-4

Ferrer 2 - 1 Djokovic

7. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Davydenko was very close to beating Federe at the French but I think Federer will win but it will be a fight.

Djokovic will beat ferrer but again expect a fight

8. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Day Thirteen

And the final most have predicted is going to happen.

Federer V Djokovic for the US Open Mens Singles Title.

Both men were tested both by their opponent and by the conditions. Novak played a lot of agressive tennis after going to a break at the start. He did not allow Ferrer to dictate the pattern with in inside-out and off forehand.

Federer and Davydenko was a fight. Davydenko brought everything out, getting the early break, and nearly getting a second, but Roger raised his game. The third set was the most craziest rollercoasters in this year's Open. There were seven breaks of serve at the end, before Federer finally served it out to love.

Should be a great match. Both men have a lot of confidence.

9. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Federer is a machine.

10. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    Federer didn't even play that well but commanded Djokovic like a puppet. Novak had so many chances, though. He must feel pretty bummed out right now.

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I didn't see the match considering the time difference, but I heard Novak had a break in the second. The score appears close, too, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Federer was still in command the entire time.

12. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Day Fourteen

Roger Federer is king of NYC, with his fourth straight US Open Championship!!! The first man to achieve the feat in the Open Era, and the first man since Bil Tilden in 1923 Pre Open Era.

Neither player really played their best, but when it came to crunch time in each set, Federer delivered and Djokovic did not. There really was not much in it.

What was most ironic is Novak suffered the same fate against Roger, that Roger suffered against him in the Montreal final. Novak was up 40-0 serving for the first set, and could not close it out.

In the second set tie break it was all about Federer raising his level.

In the third set, one break was enough.

Federer now moves ahead of Nadal in the ATP race to end the year as number one.

He now has 12 grand slam titles, and is the only player in the history of the game to win the Wimbledon US Open double four times. He is also the only player to have won three grand slams in three different seasons.

And has the longest uninterrupted streak as the number one player in both mens and women, surpassing Graf who was on 187 straight weeks.

13. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Federer is now almost a lock for the number one end of year ranking. The interesting thing is that Djokovic, who is the third man to qualify for Shanghai has a chance to end the year world number two.

The end of the year will be very interesting.

Tickets have gone on sale for the Federer V Sampras showdown in Malayasia in Novmember.

14. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Gonzalez wins the China Open by defeating Robredo in three sets 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 to win his first title in nearly two years, and keep his chances to qualifying for Shanghai alive.

15. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    up and comer Giles Simon wins the Bucharest open

16. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Safin has gone an expedition to climb the world's sixth highest Mountain, and hopes to return in time for the Madrid Masters, an event he won in 2004.

The top eight players, who will make the Masters Cup will become terracotta warriors to celebrate the event. The top players are having moulds sculpted to look like the warriors. :D

17. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Anyone know where the US hosted Davis Cup finals will be held?

18. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Nothing official has been announced yet. They will let everyone know in a few weeks.

19. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Nadal has withdrawn from the Thailand Open. His knees need more time to recover, and he probably won't be back until the Madrid Masters next month.

20. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    It will really disappointing if the US dosen't win the Davis cup now

21. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    I think they will win it this time. That last time they got to the final was in 2004 against Spain, and I knew that they had no chance. But, this time they have a serious chance to win it.

22. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    LOL!

Safin has decided not to climb the mountain. Its a good thing he decided before being 1000 meters in the thinning air. :p

23. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Bangkok Open and Karolovic knocks out Lopez, who joins his fellow Spaniard Moya on the sidelines.

Keifer looks good at the second annual ATP tennis event in Mumbai.

24. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Djokovic and Roddick both pull out of the Thailand Open.

25. Anakin_Heartbreaker

Sep 24, 2004
    Portland. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.