2007 ATP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master

star 6
    That's an extremely tough call to make. Federer has won his major's much faster than Sampras and I'd say is set to break the record of the most won. I seriously don't know which way to go.

By the end of Federer's career, whenever that will happen in the future, I think his statistics will say he was the better player. Of course, do we then go off of statistics....

What was the longest Sampras held the world number 1 spot on the rankings without being touched?
  2. yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Alot of Federer's standing is going to depend on whether he wins the French once. He's already close interms of slams overall (14-10 I think). Laver already called him the best ever, I have a hard time disagreeing.

To be blunt, I think the men's side overall is tougher now than it was during Sampras's peak. His main competition was Agassi, who vanished for years at a time, and was never able to beat him consistently. Federer has a pretty tough group of rivals, Nadal especially, and yet seems to be able to demolish them at will when crunch time comes.
  3. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    To be blunt, I think the men's side overall is tougher now than it was during Sampras's peak.

not at all. i think the competition was far tougher then, especially during the first half of sampras's career. toward the end of it, you also had roddick and federer emerge, and it was federer who took the torch from sampras in 2001 at wimbledom (if only their careers had overlapped more). sampras never dominated the competition so utterly and completely as federer has, and i think that's because he had better competition at the time.
  4. yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Roddick and Federer didn't really start hitting their peak until the very late stages of Sampras's career. I think of Sampras's peak as the mid-90s, after Courier was gone, the middle of his streak at Wimbledon. Not really a lot of players stand out in my mind from that era. Guys like Becker and Edberg were gone or fading, Agassi would go AWOL for years at a time.
  5. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master

star 6
  6. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Ha, he used to be my favourite player back in the mid 90s, despite never winning anything other than the French when he was like 17.
  7. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master

star 6
    He was always second fiddle. And I always loved him more than Sampras back then.
  8. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    the players are so much stronger now than they were back then. Every player has a tough serve.
  9. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    Gonzales looses to Montanes in Vina Del Mar quaterfinals
  10. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    Bahgdatis beats Ljubicic in a thriller in the Zagred Final
  11. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    It looks as though the USA will advance to the 2nd round of the Davis Cup with a 2-1 lead over Czech Republic.
  12. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    Australia have been knocked out of the Davis Cup 3-2 by Belgium

Australian Tennis is in a sorry state at the moment, the worst it's been in many a year.
  13. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    I think the US has a good shot to win the Davis Cup this year. If Blake can start winning again, I think we would be near unstopable. With Roddick, Blake and the Bryan brothers
  14. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    It really depends on their commitment - you would have thought with players like Aggasi and Sampras the US would have won every year.

A lot may depend on who was to play Argentina, Chile and Spain at home - they're almost unbeatable on clay with the talent, and the support from the crowd, that they have.
  15. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    First Round Davis Cup Results

Russia______3
    Chile_______2

France______4
    Romania_____1

Croatia_____2
    Germany_____3

Australia___2
    Belgium ____3

Czech Rep___1
    USA_________4

Switzerland_2
    Spain_______3

Sweden______3
    Belarus_____2

Austria_____1
    Argentina___4

16. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 9
    Interview with Sampras. Great stuff.

I'd trade more than a small amount for a Sampras-Federer match, if you allowed Sampras time to train and prepare for it.
  17. yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'd say if you could turn back the clock, have Sampras circa 1995 vs Federer today. Sampras can train as hard as he wants to now, Federer would blow him off the court.
  18. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    Federer has now won 41 in a row, beating Youhzny to win Dubai Saturday.
  19. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Hewitt also won a final, meaning he has now won a title on tour for 10 consecutive years. Impressive.
  20. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master

star 6
    Ah. That's what this thread is. I never recognised the ATP part. :oops:

Unfortunately, although I play the game, I don't really follow tennis except for the majors. But I did catch some of Australia's matches in the Davis Cup last month, and I must say, it was rather shocking to be honest.

For Hewitt to do that, though, Marcus, that's pretty impressive. How many each year would be a good question, however.
  21. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    Federer looses to Canas. his winning streak is snapped. Shocking!
  22. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master

star 6
    :eek:

He was six away from taking the record of the most consecutive wins, too. That must have been some match. =D=
  23. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    Nadal defeats Djokovic to win the Pacific Life open
  24. DarthIntegral Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Again.

How long until they give him a corny nicknamed based on Kryptonite?
  25. rechedelphar Jedi Master

star 6
    I was shocked when Federer lost to Canas the first time and utterly shocked the 2nd. Was it possibly mental for Federer? After all it was the guy that just beat with 2 weeks ago
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.