2007 ATP Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Davis Cup semifinals are:

Germany vs Russia
    USA vs Sweden

I think Russia will edge Germany and the USA should handle Sweden pretty easily
  2. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    French open starts Monday. I am getting a free preview of the Tennis channel so I will be able to see the early morning matches!

the draw
    http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/draws/ms/r1s4.html
  3. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Not a single American man has won a match yet in the French, this is truly disgraceful. All the talk of saving up for Wimbledon is utter bull****, learn how to play on clay damn it!
  4. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    American tennis (especially in the mens) seems to be in a bit of a lull at the moment. Especially coming after the Agassi/Sampras period, and Roddick not seeming to be a serious threat late on in tournaments.

Of course, Australian tennis isn't that much better, but Lleyton looks to be getting some form back, so who knows?
  5. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    and the last Frenchmen Olivier Patience goes down 6-7, 6-2, 6-3, 6-7, 3-6 to Novak Djokovic. I was pulling for the upset but he came up short
  6. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Awesome! A tennis thread! :D

Guess I know where I'll be spending time between updating my fics. :p

The way the draw looks at the moment in the mens, we are heading for the predicted Federer V Nadal final. I am a Federer fan and am hoping for history to be made at the French Open with him winning the title. It will be the first time since 1969, and Rod Laver's dominance, that a player will hold all four majors at any one time.

Of course, it also sets up the opportunity to win the calender Grand Slam, having already won AUS, he will have Wimbledon and US next. His match today was the worst of the tournament so far for him, a huge unforced error count, but he managed to win in straight sets. Doing so, he equaled two records that were set by John McEnroe. He won 35 consecutive sets in Grand slams, starting from the final two sets against Roddick at the US Open. Also has won 11 matches in rows in Grand Slams without losing a set. Should he win straight sets againt Robredo, he will break that record.

It will interesting to see who he plays in the Semi's IF he beats Robredo in the Quarter Finals. Canas has caused him problems during the Master Series events in Indian Wells, and Miami, but it can be argued the Federer was in his worst patch at the point, his loss to Volandri in straight sets in Rome showed that. However since parting ways with Roache, the fluidity has returned into his game, and he has begun including his deadly backhand slice back into his matches.

This I think caused him to play out of his comfort zone previously. The issue was beating Nadal, who loves the backhand slice, forcing Federer to adopt the top spin back hand for all of his shots on that side. Its good that he now has that potent weapon back. A possible showdown against Canas would be exciting, providing again if both get to that stage.

Nadal, the favorite to win, has a tough match coming up with Hewitt. Yes, he is the king of clay, and should win, but Hewitt's game matches up to his quite well. Nadal with the extreme western grip can generate tremendous top spin, and on the Parisian clay, it kicks up really high.

Nadal who was 5-0 against Federer before they played in Hamburg was looking the lock for the Slam, but after losing to Roger, and having his recording breaking 81 match win streak on clay snapping, things look a bit different.

Federer had a solid game plan in Hamburg, the surface does suit him better. He has won there now four times. He went wide into the Nadal forehand, forcing the short reply, before stepping in and hitting a winner. It can be argued that Nadal was fatigued after Rome, but Federer still had to play flawless...Nadal knew what was on the line. A chance to hold all three Masters Series Shields on the clay, including Monte Carlo, where he beat Federer in the finals, Rome, where he beat Gonzales, and Hamburg. The loss was a big blow entering Paris.

Nadal has never lost a five set match on Clay his whole career, and holds a perfect 17-0 record in Paris, planning on winning it for the third straight year, and equaling Borg's 30 year record. His game is suited to clay, despite being right handed, he plays left handed, and his extreme grip allows the ball to kick up high to the right handed player's backhand. This has caused Federer problems in the past, because he often returns the ball mid court, so Nadal can attack.

There is still ALOT of tennis to be played at RG, but two men are on a collison course, not just with each other, but with destiny.
  7. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Can anyone stop the Clay Court King Rafael Nadal?

The fourth round at Roland Garros had one match that was particularly interesting, in fact, ever since Hamburg, and the draw being made a week ago, from this past Friday, was the tantalizing match up between Nadal, and Hewitt. Hewitt had been a resurgent force in recent weeks, his training with Darren Cahill, and one of the greatest players of all time, Andre Agassi helped Lleyton find that desire which took him to the top of the men?s games for two years. And at Hamburg, on his least favorite surface, and Nadal?s best, he pushed the Clay Court King from Majorca all the way to a decisive 7-5 victory in the final set to the Spaniard. Nadal final win before losing to Roger in the final.

Even with the odds stacked in his favor, Nadal, along with everyone else knew that Hewitt for the first real test in his quest to become the first three time consecutive champion since Borg back in the 70?s. The difference was the Parisian Clay.

The muscular warrior is fully designed to play on this surface, which graciously allows his vicious top spin forehand to kick up a lot higher, than what happened in Hamburg. During the match, Hewitt was struggling with balls shoulder high on both wings, and uncharacteristically for him, stood further back on the baseline. The weather also played its part, the hot dry conditions meant less humidity in the air, resulting in the ball kicking further up.

This really affected his return of serve, instead of taking the ball on the rise, he allowed it to reach its apex, and hit it on its descent. The return was less aggressive, and allowed Nadal, who feared the double handed return from the tenacious Aussie to seize the initiative, and dictate play with the his extreme western grip.

The first two sets, Lleyton was not even on the court, losing 6-3, 6-1. Even Rafa was stunned by how easily he was winning. Hewitt fought back, but Rafa refused to make mistakes on the crucial points, his immaculate movement and precision timing on the clay is a true gift, and frustrated Lleyton. Hewitt tried to flatten the ball, and to some degree had success, but Rafa was just too dominant.

So the question remains, who can beat him?

Well up next is Carlos Moya, a fellow resident of Majorca, former French Open Champion, and a close friend of Rafa. The two are even playing on Rafa?s playstation, but when the get on the court, Moya will struggle to control the incredible spin of Nadal, as he rages towards another victory.
  8. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Federer will beat Robredo but don't be shocked of Robredo is able to pull out a set.

I'll go with Canas in 5 over Davydenko, should be a fantastic match but will come down to Canas being more fit.

I'm picking Andreev in an upset over Djokovic, if they Djokovic that played the first 4 sets with Patience shows up.

Nadal should cruise by the veteran Moya.
  9. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Federer finally dropped a set and Davydenko downed Canas
  10. Kyptastic VIP

star 5
    I don't see Federer losing this tournament actually. I think he's more focused on this than he's ever been/
  11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    I kind of forgot about this French Open. None of it is being shown here, and I have basically heard nothing about it. My bad.

I heard that Hewitt lost to Nadal the other day or so. Ah well, I never had high hopes for him. I'm actually with Kypt in backing Federer. I know he just recently beat Nadal before the Open started - I also sincerely hope he wins a French sometime in his career, so now is as good a time as ever.
  12. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    The semi finals set.

Federer V Davydenko
    Nadal V Djokovic

Federer was in imperious form against Robredo, especially after the wake up call he got losing the second set on a breadstick. He played flawless tennis thereafter. Federer spoke about how the wind was affecting his play, but also was honest enough to say that he actually did not know how to play Tommy in that second set. He must delighted that his nemesis Canas is not his next opponent, as so many people had predicted.

Davydenko has really come into his own these past two weeks, but with a 0-8 head to head with Federer, he will have a tough time. His flat forehand and backhand matches up well to Federer?s game. He will give the world number one a good match, but will likely be heading to grass season.

Nadal still looks unstoppable, even more deadly than Federer, as he ended the hopes of his close friend Moya. Novak has the game to beat him Nadal, as he did in Miami, but on Clay there is a big difference in their level of Play. Nadal is the likely winner to set up the match everyone knew was going to happen. Federer V Nadal.
  13. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    FEDERER V NADAL FOR THE TITLE
  14. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Davydenko really outplayed Federer for much of the match
  15. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Davydenko needed to paint the lines today, and be ultra agressive. It was obvious with the way he was attacking the second serve, full credit to taking it to Federer. Should have at least won one set.

Nadal had two tough first sets also, and I think if Djokovic took advantage of the 0-40 situation on Nadal's serve, early in the second, he could have made the match even closer.

Roger will be hoping for an overcast day, so the clay does not take the bounce well. Roger did say though that the balls are producing a lot of bounce. Rafa looks really solid to win the title.

My heart says Federer.

My head say Nadal.
  16. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Tale of the tape

How Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal compare:

FEDERER NADAL
    Switzerland COUNTRY Spain
    25 AGE 21
    6-1 HEIGHT 6-1
    177 WEIGHT 188
    1 RANK 2
    1998 PRO SINCE 2001
    $30,565,328 CAREER MONEY $10,270,634
    $1,988,870 2007 MONEY $1,933,695
    48 CAREER TITLES 21
    6 CLAY TITLES 16
    10 GRAND SLAMS 2
    3 2007 TITLES 4
    4-7 HEAD-TO-HEAD 7-4
    517-132 CAREER 225-57
    30-4 2007 RECORD 42-6
    102-35 CAREER (CLAY) 127-13
    16-2 2007 ON CLAY 25-1
    87-35 VS. TOP 10 26-12
    7-1 2007 V. TOP 10 8-3
    124-21 GS RECORD 45-10
    26-8 FO RECORD 20-0
    9-10 5-SET RECORD 7-2
    194-108 TIEBREAKERS 51-40

2007 FRENCH OPEN

FEDERER NADAL
    6-0 RECORD 6-0
    18-1 SETS 18-0
    115-69 GAMES 111-51
    12:33 TIME ON COURT 13:24
    2:06 AVG. TIME 2:14
    4-0 TIEBREAK REC. 1-0
  17. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    As of this moment, Andre Agassi is still the only man to have completed a career grand slam since Rod Laver retired. Will Federer join him?
  18. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Congratulations to Rafael Nadal for yet another incredible Clay Court season, and for being the first person since Borg to win three straight titles at RG.

Well done to Federer for putting up a great fight. Still the favorite for the next three slams.
  19. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Borg has decided to come to Wimbledon for the first time since he lost the 1981 final to McEnroe. He did come in 2000, but that was more a mandatory thing, as a former champion he had to be there. This is the first time he is coming because he actually wants to.

The reason.

He wants to see Roger Federer win a record equalling fifth consecutive Wimbledon championship. He was not ready to share that spot earlier with Sampras, but now he feels he is. He has said that Federer is the favorite to win, regardless of what happened at Roland Garros, because that was clay, this is grass.

And on grass, Federer is King.
  20. Veloz Force Ghost

star 6
    Thankfully, not this year :D i hope it remains that way [face_praying]

Call me crazy, but i look forward to someone stopping Federer... i started as a fan of his but he's kinda grown to annoy me [face_blush] [face_laugh]
  21. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Has a probable all-time great like Federer ever been bent to one player's will so consistently as he has been to Nadal's?

For one day, the hunter becomes the hunted.
  22. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    Federer will win Wimbledon but I do not want to see another Federer/Nadal final
  23. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Lasy year Nadal had a very easy draw, the only true grass court player he came across was Federer, and he lost. Although I would never say Nadal cannot duplicate the heroics of last year again, as he has an incredible talent, regardless of surface, it will be tought for him to reach the final again.

He is not a natural mover on grass, and his serve is not a huge weapon. It has great placement, and helps him start rallies, but diffciult to get cheap points from. Also, the grass does not take topsin that well, the ball stayes low.

It really depends on his draw. Federer shold get to the final, and should win, regardless of who he plays. But winning is not done on paper.
  24. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Sampras vs. Federer, plz.
  25. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    Roddick and Berdych getting the perfect preparation for Wimbledon.

Roddick winning the Artois Championship for a record equalling fourth time, putting him along side McEnroe, Becker, and Hewitt. He even saved championship point.

Berdych going one better in Halle, last year losing to Federer. This year winning in straight sets. His first grass court title.

Edit: Sampras and Federer will be playing a best of three exhibition match in Singapore before the Master Series event in Madrid. Not sure what the surface would be.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.